FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I've done it. I put my money down on an 06. I'm sure I'll be happy with it as I've never ridden an earlier year to compare it with. Last year I had the opportunity to sit on an 05 and on an ST1300 right beside each other. Going from one to another I found the ST a bit more comfortable but I liked the looks and specs of the FJR better for me. This year with the adjustable seat and handle bars I made the plunge. I'm new to the sports touring genre so I hope I can handle it. Wish me luck!

Don

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just sold my 82 Honda cbx however I still have a 79 in the garage. These bikes are what I call 2 hour bikes. I can only ride for 2 hours before I start wiggling from sde to side to find a comfortable position. I was looking for something I could take on weekend trips, still being sportlike but comfortable enough to take me on longer hauls. Hope I made the right choice.

Don

·
Registered
58 Posts
Welcome to the 06 waiter list Don. We're only a few hours away from each other, so would be good to hook up for a ride come spring time.

Brian.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Sure Brian just PM me and we can meet somewhere and go for a spin.
I will not have my bike until May 10 ( such a long time away) but I can always use the CBX! It's just kind of a bear around the corners.
I'm sure there has been a break-in thread at some time or another but does anyone have any ideas. Some say be gentle and keep under 4000 rpm others say break it in hard just change the oil and filter after the first 30 miles or so. Every bike I have ever owned has been used so I've never had to break them in.

·
Registered
58 Posts
May 10th? Please don't tell me that's Yamaha latest delivery date for Canadian 06 FJRs?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Take heart Brian. It's just the date I wanted to receive it. I'm sure they will be in before that.

·
Super Moderator
3,944 Posts
I can't tell you about the CBX comparo, but maybe something I have ridden will give you a reference you might know.

Triumph Daytona 600 - 45 minutes before getting squirmy in the seat
Kawasaki 636 - 30 minutes
FJR (with custom seat and bar risers) - 1000+ days with less discomfort.

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
donp said:
I'm sure there has been a break-in thread at some time or another but does anyone have any ideas. Some say be gentle and keep under 4000 rpm others say break it in hard just change the oil and filter after the first 30 miles or so.
Even the "by the book" break in is pretty fool proof. The break in proccedure in the R1 manual only says "vary engine speed, avoid prolonged operation above 6900 rpm for the first 600 miles. Avoid prolonged operation above 8400 rpm from 600 to 1000 miles. After 1000 miles, operate normally."

FJR is similar but the rpm limits are lower.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
donp said:
If I couldn't break either one of mine on the way home from the dealership the way I rode them... I'll bet you can't break one. About 50 miles home from the dealership... frequent red lining and rev-limiting... 2 or 3 complete cooldown periods... and changed the oil when I got home. Neither one ever farted the wrong way, ever.

They already did this to the motor at the factory before they put it in your bike, so you might as well.

(or ride behind school busses for 1000 miles, I guess it doesn't really matter)

:)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Don, I'm sure that you're going to love your new FJR. As warchild has stated, It's the best all around package our there. I love my '03. My future son in law bought a new ST 1300 last year and it is a nice bike but has nowhere near the power and has a "turkey gobble" whine at idle. (as Cycle World described it) Good Luck and welcome to the site.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
20valves said:
where the school girls are
I'd have to defer to your expertise on that one...

but you CAN get a nice buzz off the diesel fumes. :shock:

:)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts