FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I love this machine but I hate the seat. Can anyone recommend a good company for a recover of the existing seat. Corbin and Sargent are not providing anything as of yet. I would go custom if I get some feedback.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Custom Seat

My wife just had her seat on her Buell done by a place called: Stitch N Time

They can do just about anything you want but they specialize in cutting the existing foam on your seat and then adding some high density tempur-pedic type foam (same stuff used for Quadrapelegics). You supply them with your weight and sizes and I'm sure they will fix you up. He has done some work for Evil Kenievel. Prices are pretty resonable compared to Corbin and Sargent. Not that they are bad but just offering you an alternative. I may have mine done on my seat but I am experimenting with beads right now and they work ok for me.

http://www.asweetseat.com

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Bob1955 said:
http://www.day-long.com/index.html

Haven't tried it but might be worth looking into. :ale:
Good luck!
+2

I have tried it. Twice. The first try was why it was tops on my list for my current bike (FJR). I figure if it's good enough for a 1610 mile day (23h 15m), it should be okay for just about anything. It worked jeeessss fine for the 2003 IBR.

·
Registered
14 Posts
bounce said:
Bob1955 said:
http://www.day-long.com/index.html

Haven't tried it but might be worth looking into. :ale:
Good luck!
+2

I have tried it. Twice. The first try was why it was tops on my list for my current bike (FJR). I figure if it's good enough for a 1610 mile day (23h 15m), it should be okay for just about anything. It worked jeeessss fine for the 2003 IBR.
I, like you, did not like the stock seat on my 05. I felt it was the one thing really holding me back riding longer. That and my shoulders in pain from the reach to the bars...but even that was livable...the butt problems were not. So after doing much research on the weba nd forums I picked the most bvious winner...the Russell Day-Long. I got it in the mail yesterday and headed out to visit a friend in NJ...about 300 miles. Stopped once for gas and thats it. I love it...I was skeptical at first sitting on it. but once on the road for a while i relized how comfortable it was. Now my legs are feeling cramped towards the end of the trip. 300 miles is a good trip for me...sorry i cant brag about 1000 mile days like everyone here does. 1000s of miles on a highway would make me wanna kill myself. id rather take the back roads...the twisties, the scenary.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Russell Day Long seat

I also have a Day Long saddle. I've got about 25k on the seat, 47k on the bike. I waited far too long to get the seat! Wonderful fit and zero complaints. I do stay on the bike tank to tank often, even with the fuel cell.

I did a mail in, and had no issues at all. I strongly suggest you mail in the seat unless you have previous experience with seats and know very well what you like and want changed. If you have experience with custom seats, perhaps a ride in appt. will work better for you.

It's very hard for an inexperienced person to tell what will feel good at the end of the day after only a short ride. And I don't mean inexperienced rider, but someone inexperienced with custom seat building.

They ask for two pictures, do that, but also take a third pic showing how your butt fits into the seat from the rear. Several people told me to add that pic when I sent my seat in.

You can spend a lot of money, but you don't have to. I only did the rider's seat, and in vinyl. Pretty reasonable price, imho.

·
Registered
113 Posts
A couple of things about seats. If you generally have good results with off the shelf seats, then the various off the shelf options may be an excellent choice for you. A lot of people don't have the butt shape suited to the off the shelf seats though, for most of us, nothing will beat a custom seat shaped by experts to your butt's shape, size and weight.

The Solo only, (no pillion seat), Corbin is $399 w/o heat and comes standard with leather.

The Russel price for a solo Day long for the FJR is $355 in vinyl. (from the web site today, S-1 is the correct size for the Solo FJR seat, i.e. - Rider only, no pillion seat) Leather jumps to $495, so you had better want it. Aside from your SO, no one else will care if it's leather or vinyl. Your butt may notice, but I doubt it.

I paid $413.75 in early '05 for my vinyl Day Long solo seat work, mail in, with the $45 upgrade for a heavy weight rider and shipping. I believe the price has gone up $10 since I got my seat.

Personally, I'm not a fan of leather seats. I just ride the bike, not sniff the seat. I like low maintenance. :lol:

So, for me, the choice would be $399 for an off the shelf Corbin, admittedly in leather, but not build for my weight or shape, or a true custom Russell in vinyl for $423.75 at today's prices. Less than $25 difference between full custom and off the shelf. No contest for me, the Russell wins. After all, the Corbin won't ever get re-worked if I'm not happy with it.

One more thing for the '06 people, from the Corbin web site:
"The Corbin front saddle is NOT height adjustable."

·
Registered
250 Posts
Has anyone tried the 2006 Corbin seat. I'm 5'7" and wondering if it actually improves the ground reach situation? I'm on tip toes now and it would be nice to get a little closer to the ground.

·
Super Moderator
3,954 Posts
Flat footing a heavier bike is not as important as you might think. Finessing it using balance points is the way to go. If your legs and feet are at a comfortable angle when the wheels are moving, then you have what you want. If you're focused on what the bike feels like when stopped, then you're looking in the wrong place. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
15 Posts
If you're considering an after market seat, don't overlook Rick Mayer Cycle. www.rickmayercycle.com

I've had mine only 1000 miles so far but like it very much. I bought the leather cover option. Very comfy. Takes about 3 weeks to make and will dent your wallet almost $500 but way worth it IMO, especially on long days in the saddle.

·
Registered
80 Posts
+1 on the Rick Meyer.

Corbin sucks for most people. I hear some people really like em, but I don't know of any.

Sargent ... overpriced. I've had two and had them both redone by a more knowledgable person.

I hear zero complaints about Meyer and Russell, though it's best to do a ride in custom rather than do it over the web.

You can do alot on your own using raw gel materials or memory foam. Unless you want entirely different shaping, this might work for you, or at least justify having it re-done by a pro after you are through trying.

·
Registered
76 Posts
I'm 41, 6'0, and ride 25 minutes to work daily. Weekends longer rides but I would like a seat to both look sporty and have alot more comfort.

I have lower back difficulties and have had 4 knee operations.

Anyone similar who have changed seats?

I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
wesexcellence said:
I have lower back difficulties and have had 4 knee operations.
Anyone similar who have changed seats?
Or backs and knees?

·
Registered
23 Posts
FJReady said:
If you're considering an after market seat, don't overlook Rick Mayer Cycle. www.rickmayercycle.com

I've had mine only 1000 miles so far but like it very much. I bought the leather cover option. Very comfy. Takes about 3 weeks to make and will dent your wallet almost $500 but way worth it IMO, especially on long days in the saddle.

Was $500 for both the front and rear together? Does Rick use the seat pan from the stock seat, meaning you had a couple of weeks not being able to ride the bike? Is he the one that will fit the seat to ur 'backside' if you go by his shop?

·
Registered
15 Posts
RMC saddle

The price was $472.10(prepaid) as shown + cost of shipping my seat pans to him. ($35) I beleive all his pricing info is available on the website.

I sent him my seat pans and got the seats shown back 25 days, 4 hours and 12 minutes later. I am very lucky to have a generous friend who lent me his stock seats so I wouldn't lose any precious riding time.

I don't know what his deal is with on-site fitting- probably should contact him. He asks some vitals about the rider and passenger, including photos. So its kind of a fitting session.

I've been quite happy so far. I've known others that have had Rick make seats and had to send back for minor adjustments which I'm told he will do graciuosly and promptly.

Good luck with your search.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts