FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I found out a friend passed away last Friday from a bike wreck on May 30th. He was a retired OTR truck driver who never lost his love to drive or ride. He was 76 and never slowed down in life and on the go constantly. I am 64 and met Marty and his wife Kathy when I was 12. They were the neighhood big brother and sister at the time so they went out of their way for us. Eventually they had twin daughters and moved 50 miles away to a better area. Lost track of each other for many years but hooked up again a few years ago. He was truly a 1 of a kind person that will never be duplicated. Him and Kathy were together from day 1 when I met them and my heart goes out to her and their family. Them 2 made a difference with quite a few of the neighborhood kids lives but as we all grew up I think only a couple of us may have kept in touch. He will be missed by Janet and I plus a buttload of others that he had met thru out the years.
Mr Marty I will love/miss you forever as a person, friend, big brother and sometimes father figure.

Bobby

Marty rode a 2007 FJR1300AE. He lost it in a corner by his house that he probably had taken a 1000 plus times.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,702 Posts
Bobby, to have one of those kinds of people in your life are special, and to lose one is a great loss. Best wishes to you, celebrate his life, he obviously loved what he was doing in life, and I'm sure you'll be telling stories about him for a good long while. Congrats on having such a great friend and condolences at the same time.
Cheers, Ray.

Reactions: Redfish

·
Registered
3,120 Posts
Much respect to both of you. Sorry for your loss. But there are worse ways to go.
Today I found out a friend passed away last Friday from a bike wreck on May 30th. He was a retired OTR truck driver who never lost his love to drive or ride. He was 76 and never slowed down in life and on the go constantly. I am 64 and met Marty and his wife Kathy when I was 12. They were the neighhood big brother and sister at the time so they went out of their way for us. Eventually they had twin daughters and moved 50 miles away to a better area. Lost track of each other for many years but hooked up again a few years ago. He was truly a 1 of a kind person that will never be duplicated. Him and Kathy were together from day 1 when I met them and my heart goes out to her and their family. Them 2 made a difference with quite a few of the neighborhood kids lives but as we all grew up I think only a couple of us may have kept in touch. He will be missed by Janet and I plus a buttload of others that he had met thru out the years.
Mr Marty I will love/miss you forever as a person, friend, big brother and sometimes father figure.

Bobby

Marty rode a 2007 FJR1300AE. He lost it in a corner by his house that he probably had taken a 1000 plus times.

·
Registered
713 Posts
I'm sorry to hear you lost a good friend. My condolences.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Really sorry to see this and I pray for both you and his wife; it's truly special to have someone for that long in your life and be friends for that long. Truly sorry for your loss.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
He was 1 of them people that if you had to give a eulogy and just started laffing the people that knew him and his family would understand. Not long ago I put head bearings and front wheel bearings in his bike and told him if he did not shut up he was gonna have to go in the house. It is not good to keep laffing while trying to tap a bearing race in.

:lol:

·
Registered
134 Posts

Bobby

Dayum....my condolences to you, family, and friends during this tragic time.

R.I.P> Marty

·
Registered
7,297 Posts
Sorry to hear this, Bobby. :(

Ride on Marty, save us a spot when you get there.

·
Registered
534 Posts
Sad to lose a good friend.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Very sorry to hear this news...GodSpeed to your friend.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Sincere condolences Bobby, sad to lose friends especially to a tragic accident. RIP Marty.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Today I found out a friend passed away last Friday from a bike wreck on May 30th.

Bobby

Thank you for sharing about Marty. I am sorry for your loss.

Respectfully,
Patrick

·
Registered
2,573 Posts
I'm sorry for your loss, Bobby. I know it hurts.

·
Registered
9 Posts

Bobby

Sorry to learn of the loss of your friend Marty. His loss may not be due to his inability to negotiate that turn since he has done it a thousand times before. I own a 2006 FJR1300AE, and it has had problems shifting with the paddle shifter or foot shifter when they become disabled when SH-46 appears on the screen. You cannot shift, and what ever gear you are in you are stuck with it until the ignition switch is shut off. I have reported this to the NHTSB in Washing D C in 2018 Complaint No. 11144145. Yamaha has never issued a recall, and if this is the cause or factor in your friends death then his wife is due compensation. Yamaha has been aware of this unsafe condition for many years. There are examples of this occurrence on UTUBE.

Feel free to contact me (708) 429-6458 Dave Illinois

·
Registered
88 Posts
Anytime you lose a good friend, you lose part of yourself.
The memories, the laughs, the "sensible" voice to confide in.
I've experienced it twice in 2020, you don't recover from it - you deal with it.
Remember the good times.

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I am sad he is gone but everytime I start thinking about him I either smile or laff. The guy was a character from day 1. I did head bearings, front wheel bearings, fork flush, front and rear tires, FD oil, Garauld's hiway peg kit with rear rack and trunk and sit and wonder if it was something I did but I know it wasn't. Thought still crosses ones mind but all he did was talk about the difference of before and after. There was a guy that Marty went around the morning of the crash that witnessed it and said Marty went around him in a strait then the next corner is where he went down. Guy said it looked like he started sliding in the corner then shot to the other side of the road and hi sided per his discription. Marty only wore a half helmet and went airborne into a concrete culvert. He was standing when the police and ambulance got there and was a little verbally combative but to me that is understandable giving he just went down. He walked to the ambulance by himself so the police told his wife Kathy that she might be able to pick him up at the hospital that day. When she got to the hospital she found out he had a broken eye socket, rib problems and was in surgery for brain swell. It went all down hill after that. His idea was we all have to go sometime and we just hope it is not prolonged. He was a character in a good way and even tho I have tears I am laffing at the same time.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts