FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about a trick to changing the oil filter without getting oil all over everything. Had something to do with using aluminum foil for run off.

Its nice to have the filter accessible but fairing and antivibration insulation will get soaked on the '06.

Any directives would be much appreciated.

Gordon

·
Registered
62 Posts
The use of aluminum foil is simple.

Step 1:

Before you start, wrap aluminum foil around everything within 6" of the filter. If you're anal, wrap everything within a foot.

Step B:

Change the oil and filter.

Step III:

Unwrap everything you wrapped previously.

Step d:

Ride the bike.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, I thought it was a bit more complicated than that. Makes good sense. BTW, yes, I am anal, perhaps 2 feet on every side!

Thanks for the info.

Gordon

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Borrec,

That is what I was thinking too, however, the '06 has some "sponge insulation" glued between the fairing and the motor housing. I don't want to remove this as it is glued into place. I'll figure it out though. Thanks for the link, it was very helpful.

Gordon

·
Registered
7 Posts
Or you could try an oil absorbent pad, what ever oil drips on the pad gets absorbed. When your finished just throw it away!
Of course I have not tried this yet, but as soon as I take delivery of my 06 (I hope next week) I will see how well it works!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I was wrong about the insulation sponge - it is glued only to the fairing. The procedure outlined above works perfectly and with very little clean-up.

Thanks

Gordon

·
Registered
3 Posts
You guys work to hard !! On the 06 remove the lower fairing fastener and prop out the fairing with the oil filter box. Let it drip away, wipe a little oil and your done!! Hope this helps !!

·
Registered
126 Posts
This is way anal, not sure if I would do again.

Bike on centerstand, remove the drain bolt and drain the oil.

After about ten minutes, engine is pretty empty I replace the drain plug and put the bike on sidestand.

I then drill a SMALL hole at the bottom outer edge of the filter. Yes, oil comes out, but not much.And because of the angle, it doesnt get all over the fairing.

When its dry, I remove the filter and install new one and of course, replace the oil.

I also place a small rag under where the filter meets the engine and it was very clean, just a drop of oil. no clean up to speak of.

CZ

·
Registered
168 Posts
...Forget about using the aluminum wrap. Just slip on an old plastic bag (after u have removed the fairing fastener ofcourse) and an elastic and your good to go. Nuthin simpler than that! :ale:

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
ferrand said:
You guys work to hard !! On the 06 remove the lower fairing fastener and prop out the fairing with the oil filter box. Let it drip away, wipe a little oil and your done!! Hope this helps !!
The simplicity of this makes the others sound disturbed! 8) :ale:

·
Registered
87 Posts
Get a can of contact cleaner. Remove filter, change oil and filter, fill up with oil, use contact cleaner and spray on all parts that oil had gotten on.

Mike

·
Registered
405 Posts
Forgive me, please. I know I done wrong, but the topic came up when I queried 'responses since last log-in'

1 - 16 of 16 Posts