FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2006 FJR A Blue
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After about enough research to loose my mind... I ended up on the FJR doorstep. Test rode a 13' that I kind of loved, but it got away. Just sold my Bandit 1200, just about the most perfect bike to mix things up.

Any advice as I go down the path to snag one of these? Kind of set on Gen 3, but if someone can twist my arm on another year happy to learn.

thanks all

·
Registered
201 Posts
Make sure the bike fits you, not the other way around. I test road the FJR a few times and finally bought a 2013. Loved it for all 16,000ish miles I road it, but only felt comfortable on long rides. It was too top heavy for in and around town riding. I commute on the bike so this was a major need for me. I ended up selling it and got a bike more fitted to me. YMMV, but make sure it fits you and your predominant riding needs.

Otherwise, the Gen 3 has the best standard feature set IMHO.

·
Premium Member
3,331 Posts
Howdy. Welcome yo the forum.

I have family in the woods in western Maine (North Fryeburg). The riding season is not one month long. Without electric under garments, it's about . . . five months long.

If your budget will stretch and you want an FJR, get a Series III. By the 2013s, the EFI issues have been fully sorted out, ground spiders have pretty much been eradicated (maybe 5 or 10 years down the road, they will have different wiring problems), and the cruise control is great. With a few ergo mods (perhaps seat, handlebar risers, and windshield - especially if you are 6' or taller), it's a superb long haul bike, but below about 5 mph, it's a bit of a pig. If I knew I were going to do a lot of commuting, I'd probably pick something a little smaller, perhaps an SV650.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Gen 4 is nice, but for the price difference, the Gen 3 is hard to beat. Gen 4 will be there price wise in a few years.

Reactions: RedRockFJRider14

·
Registered
2006 FJR A Blue
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems to be a tight market for 2013+ ones. Was just concerned about any lingering "issues" prior to then.
considering a fj 09 "tracer" as an option... anyone go that route.. thanks all.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts