FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a new '06 FJR and am looking for a black leather 1/2 tank bra. I'm afraid of scratching the tank near the seat with a belt buckle or zipper but want to leave the top part of the tank exposed. My brother has a nice one for his Interceptor from LP but I can't seem to find one for the FJR.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gordon

·
Registered
372 Posts
A tank bra is a very good idea, keeps the tank pristine from the inner seams of riding pants and belt buckles etc. The Yamaha paint is not the toughest paint out there, so your move to protect it is a good one.
I searched a number of options and saw a sweet answer to the problem with magnetic adhesive black or carbon fibre look from Mag Knight. Warm it up and apply easily, neat durable and prevents grit from getting trapped underneath like leather. Took mine off this spring, clean and shiney like the day I put it on a year and a half ago.
Klicky here http://www.mag-knight.com/limited_edition_tank_top.htm
Good luck.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I saw them but also read that they can lift up with wind. Has that been your experience?

Many Thanks

Gordon

·
Registered
3 Posts
17,000 miles on my '03, with 15,000 of those having the MagKnight tank pad on. Hasn't moved once. Noticed just yesterday, when I was filling up, that it has a few marks on it. These surely would have scratched the paint, as opposed to just leaving a rub mark on the pad. I bought the color matched one, but the "carbon fiber look" model was very enticing.

·
Registered
372 Posts
@GDahl, 59,000 km on the bike, put the Mag Knight on around 8,000 km I think, and it has been rock solid. I use a tank bag for daytrips to two week tours and the piece around the filler opening does a nice job of protecting that area too. When I took mine off for cleaning earlier in the month the tank looked nude, but paint is 100%. Washed and waxed the bike, then reapplied the Mag Knight as good as before.

·
Registered
558 Posts
There are those amongst us, (Who are really in touch with thier feminine side), that even use Bra's on thier panniers......*snigger*

*sits back and waits for bait to be taken*

·
Registered
16 Posts
You might try and look at the Bagster.
It's not a half bra but rather a full bra.
It fits my 05 like a glove and the color match is great.
Does an exceptional job protecting the paint.
When gasing up, just release the rear buckles and the whole bag flips up to expose the fuel port.
It also helps redirect some of the heat that comes up between the seat and tank.
I have about 12,000 on my FJR with this set up and have had nothing but great comments about it.
Very clean and sleek look.

Mark

·
Registered
170 Posts
GDahl said:
I saw them but also read that they can lift up with wind. Has that been your experience?

Many Thanks

Gordon
What lift up in the wind??
Magnight - don't see how it can if properly installed.
Tank bra - I had one on my '03 for a good while and it never lifted in the wind.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Bait this, pal! :p

Besides, I'm too busy knitting doilies for my luggage rack to rebutt. You wanna see the fork leggings I had made up in Connolly Leather? I've been looking for some Wilton wool to make up a seat pad, but it seems someone on your side of the pond went and gave STD's to the herd that provides the wool. Fooked up the whole lot! Police reports have the suspect fleeing the scene, Godiva style, on an FJR.

:mrgreen:

Oh, by the way: Bagster user here. Love it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts