FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Managed to lose it today when trying to access the abs diagnostic port. Unfortunately the ones I have in my spare parts bin didn't work, nor did the ones Lowes Hardware had. I can't even find the battery cover on Partzilla's schematic.

Thanks!

EDIT: posted too soon, I figured it out!

Registered
Managed to lose it today when trying to access the abs diagnostic port. Unfortunately the ones I have in my spare parts bin didn't work, nor did the ones Lowes Hardware had. I can't even find the battery cover on Partzilla's schematic. Thanks!
Jesse,

Fasteners can be found in stores under the Yellow Pages heading- Nuts and Bolts. The real Yellow Pages on the Internet is:

Click on the Find a Business tab, type in the heading needed (Nuts and Bolts), and give a local ZIP code. Anywho will even SORT the results by distance, and print out a map if needed. Call ahead, for specific stock inquiries. Take the hardware you need to match, along with you. The fasteners store won't know OEM Part Numbers, but Google (on the Images tab) can give you pix of the needed item, by Part Number. Pix will help out the counter folks. 馃檪

Reactions: Jesse H

Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE
Managed to lose it today when trying to access the abs diagnostic port. Unfortunately the ones I have in my spare parts bin didn't work, nor did the ones Lowes Hardware had. I can't even find the battery cover on Partzilla's schematic.

Thanks!

Please share your solution in case one of us finds ourselves in the same situation. Not that we ever lose any fasteners or anything like that. 馃檮

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Please share your solution in case one of us finds ourselves in the same situation. Not that we ever lose any fasteners or anything like that. 馃檮

Part 58 in the diagram, the Yamaha part number is 90183-050A6-00.

It's what anchors the forward bolt on the battery cover to the dash. While trying to work it back into place I managed to lock it loose into the depths of the fairing.

Registered
Hey gang,

For future reference, you can usually find a way to tie spring nuts and other nutplates to the holes where they live, using Upholstery Thread. It is very strong stuff. You can't break that thread bare-handed; it would cut your skin first. It is as thin as normal sewing thread, so it does not look dorky, on the job. It works in most home sewing machines, too. You sew something once, and it's done. There is a UV-proof (outdoors) version, also. Any fabric shop will have Upholstery Thread (in many colors), for little more cost than common sewing thread.

Premium Member
CBF1000 VFR800
If you're ambitious, on Gen3/4, there's a hiding spot right around/above/behind the turn signal (must remove inner panel)... if it made it past that, check down in the lower Vee in the bottom of the fairings...

Registered
Jesse,

Got one of those snaky magnetic pick-up sticks? They can usually go into recesses where you cannot even see.

Registered
2009 FJR 1300AE

Part 58 in the diagram, the Yamaha part number is 90183-050A6-00.

It's what anchors the forward bolt on the battery cover to the dash. While trying to work it back into place I managed to lock it loose into the depths of the fairing.
And of course that's one of the biggest pita ones to thread when you need to get at the battery. 馃槃

Registered

Thanks!

Known as chimney nuts or spring nuts- for that cover the size is M5 as I recall.

Registered
I find that blowing compressed air into an area that collects things like that dropped nut will usually dislodge whatever I dropped so it drops either into someplace accessible or the floor,,, I鈥檝e had a LOT of practice !

Registered
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I ordered 3 and they arrived today!

The FJR is my first fully faired motorcycle and twisting, bending and manipulating the plastic bits is still something I'm not used to dealing with.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts