FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dear bride has finally taken the hint and asked me what kind of GPS I want for xmas. Help me out and give me some good options for a unit that I can mount on the scooter and also sit on the dashboard of the cars. I think these come under the category of toys that you gotta have....
Cold, rainy and windy here in Oregon, not very nice for open air activities.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
If you're average or better with a PC (for the mapping, routing and track logging), I think it's hard to beat the Garmin 276C or 376C... for compactness, durability, weatherproofness, ease of operation and mounting, and most of all, screen size.

My favorite is its previous generation 176C. I use it on the bike, the ATV, aircraft and in the car.

Any GPS will take a lot of familiarization, but then you'll absolutely LOVE it!

Be very, very, very careful about looking down at any GPS. Riders have died just after doing so.

:)

·
Registered
185 Posts
@Nomad: I looked at the Tom Tom Rider at the NEC bike show & while I liked the way it operated, I was less than impressed with the unit itself, looked very much less rugged than the Garmins. The other thing that put me off was that it couldnt even find my address, it listed my street as no numbers available, I live on a 4 mile long road with probably only 40 - 50 houses but even so my Garmin has my number listed. The sales lady assured me that must be my mistake because they use the same maps as the Garmin but then she couldnt produce the address either.
I was in the market for a new GPS & had waited to see the Tom Tom but after a play with it I was dissapointed & went out & bought the new Garmin 2720, with which I'm over the moon!!.

·
Registered
92 Posts
GPS

I just added a Garmin 2610 to the right Handlebar. It is waterproofed and easy to use with gloves. The best oart is it will take me about 1min to take it and mount it in the car. It's a great unit I love it

·
Registered
331 Posts
Also just added a 2610 to the bike, mounted on a stem stand and a lockable mount. Unlock from bike and walk to car, plug into ciggi lighter and off we go.

Not had a chance to try over any distance yet, but dont see me having any problems

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
GPS choices

Thanks to all who gave me some good feedback on these toys. It seems the majority of owners have opted for the Garmin 2610/2620 series and then the 276C model to a lesser degree. I am going to try and find a vendor locally to see and touch these units so I can get my mind made up.
Stay warm & dry!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Dont get the 2620, it is hard drive & not great for a bike.
I have previously had the 2610 - excellant unit (no hard drive)
Just bought the 2720 - hard drive but I'm assured by Garmin "a new type" that is suitable for bike use.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I just ordered the magellan roadmate 800, I went with this unit becaus it has a built in mp3 player and I like the idea of having all in one electronics, I hope it works as well as my magellan on my boat then Ill be stoked

1 - 13 of 13 Posts