FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

Is your bike ULEZ exempt

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned an FJR1300 since 2001 and prior to that a couple of FJ1200's I live in The suburbs of South London and found myself facing a £12:50 daily charge due to Sadiq Khan's expansion of his Ultra Low Emission Zone. The central London Zone was implemented in 2019 and mimicked the Congestion Zone boundaries.

From 25 October 2021, the ULEZ is expanding from central London to create a single, larger zone up to, but not including, the North Circular Road (A406) and South Circular Road (A205).
To help improve air quality, an Ultra Low Emission Zone (ULEZ) operates 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, every day of the year, except Christmas Day (25 December), within the same area of central London as the Congestion Charge.
Most vehicles, including cars and MOTORCYCLES, need to meet the ULEZ emissions standards or their drivers must pay a daily charge to drive within the zone:
  • £12.50 for most vehicle types, including cars, MOTORCYCLES and vans (up to and including 3.5 tonnes)
  • £100 for heavier vehicles, including lorries (over 3.5 tonnes) and buses/coaches (over 5 tonnes)
I have today prepared to avoid paying this charge by having my 2001 FJR examined at the National Emissions Test Centre. Unit 3 Riverbank Business Park, Dyehouse Lane Bow London E3 2TB. After a 30 minute run on their machine and paying £175 I rode away with proof of conformity that my motorcycle is exempt from the ULEZ Charge.
I have to confess that if I had not modified my machine prior to the Conformity test it would most certainly have failed.
To pass your machine has to produce no more than 0.17 Nox which is equivalent to Euro 3 standards. Knowing this I checked which FJR's were exempt at the point of manufacture. POST 2007 - 2008 models conform to these standards. I discovered that the introduction of Catalytic converters inside the silencers was the main manufacturer's solution. So I purchased a fair of 2008 - 2009 exhaust silencers from a breaker's and attended the NETC where I was tested at 0.08 Nox, a comfortable pass. The cost of the cans was £85 together with the test fee I will save money after four weeks of commuting into the London ULEZ. I know that Akrapovic Exhaust's manufacture Catalytic inserts for the FJR but cost £265 for a pair which then require welding into the Downpipes prior to the end can. Total cost of this would be in excess of £440. My solution relies on the motorcycle breakers not realising the value of the later tail pipes which contain catalytic converters.
2001 - 2005 Gen 1 exhausts are marked YAMAHA 5JW- (1 left 2 right) e13 NONE CATALYTIC
2006-2012 exhaust with catalytic converters are marked YAMAHA 3P6- (1left 2 right) e13
2013-20018 Exhaust are marked YAMAHA 1MC- (1left 2 right) e13 I don't know about the catalytic converters in these
This may not appeal to most bikers but if you live in, or commute in and out of London it is a solution to an expensive TAX.
I also understand that if Mr Khan is elected for another term his intention is to extend the ULEZ out to the M25 before 2025. (Rumour)
I also gather that other cities are coming on board this money making TAX scheme so Ladies and Gents prepare now.
If you want to check if you are liable to the £12.50 daily charge go to the Transport For London web site and look up ULEZ "Check Your Vehicle ".
Hope this help some one .

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I went onto the TFL web site today and checked my bike against the ULEZ vehicle checker and it is now compliant so I am not liable to any charges.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
So Ratty, you are saying that your 2001 FJR actually is compliant to the euro3 standard and reading your great writeup actually is well below the Nox requirements. Right ?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So Ratty, you are saying that your 2001 FJR actually is compliant to the euro3 standard and reading your great writeup actually is well below the Nox requirements. Right ?
Yes It's fully compliant now. Apparently the catalytic converters inside the standard exhausts make all the difference. I don't think bikes pre 2007 will pass, they certainly don't conform to Transport For London's Euro 3 requirements.
It's £175 a test , even re test so I could not risk putting it in for a test before I changed the exhausts. But if any one can afford to do that I would be interested to know what the Nox levels are.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts