FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Specs for the Smart Fortwo Cabrio:

With a fuel consumption of 4.3 litres/100km - 66 mpg UK - 55 mpg US (Average), 0 to 100 km/h (62mph) in 15.5 seconds, a maximum top speed of 94 mph (151 km/h), a curb weight of 2150 lbs (975 kgs), the Fortwo Cabrio (W453) 52 kW Twinamic has a naturally-aspirated Inline 3 cylinder engine, Petrol motor.
This engine produces a maximum power of 71 PS (70 bhp - 52 kW) at 6000 rpm and a maximum torque of 91 Nm (67 lb.ft) at 2850 rpm. The power is transmitted to the road by the rear wheel drive (RWD) with a 6 speed Automatic gearbox.

·
Premium Member
91 Posts
Specs for the Smart Fortwo Cabrio:

With a fuel consumption of 4.3 litres/100km - 66 mpg UK - 55 mpg US (Average), 0 to 100 km/h (62mph) in 15.5 seconds, a maximum top speed of 94 mph (151 km/h), a curb weight of 2150 lbs (975 kgs), the Fortwo Cabrio (W453) 52 kW Twinamic has a naturally-aspirated Inline 3 cylinder engine, Petrol motor.
This engine produces a maximum power of 71 PS (70 bhp - 52 kW) at 6000 rpm and a maximum torque of 91 Nm (67 lb.ft) at 2850 rpm. The power is transmitted to the road by the rear wheel drive (RWD) with a 6 speed Automatic gearbox.
I believe the one pulled over in the picture above is the supercharged version.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I was just gonna say how surprisingly quick these little cars are, true sleepers.
I test drove a diesel one years ago. I thought I was going to die trying to merge into highway traffic as it was zero to sixty MPH in something like 3 days. My farm tractor has more pickup and sounded quieter.

·
Registered
213 Posts
They get up and go with m/c engine transplants. Busa engines are the "go to".
Here's a smart ZX10.....

·
Registered
1,605 Posts
10-11sec 0-60mph, I'd say that's respectable for such a small car and engine, Electric version is a bit quicker 8.5sec
I've seen a few in traffic, and they move pretty swift, didn't test drive one since I would never buy one, but when you try to follow one in traffic you realize they move pretty good.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I rarely see one anymore . I think they are stupid . Slow , expensive , not that good on MPG .

A toy car , and dangerous IMO .

But I always surprised how many Prius's zoom past me when I am driving my Subie .

George

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
But I always surprised how many Prius's zoom past me when I am driving my Subie .
First year of the Prius (in the US): 2020
As of 2020, this is the number of Prius sold in the US: 2,291,630
This does not include 2021, although total US sales of the Prius have been decreasing since the peak in 2012.

·
Super Moderator
3,977 Posts
I have a friend who loves his Smart 4/2 Cabrio. Has driven it all over the country. It meets his needs so who am I to rain on his parade.

Meanwhile I traded my '08 Stage 1.5/2 Subie STi in on a 2017 Audi RS3 that is now flashed to Stage1 and waiting on an intercooler upgrade to arrive before I start seeing how its personality has changed.

Oh yeah, and blinged out the Arctic White with a Ticket-Me-Red wrap recently too.

·
Registered
6 Posts
LMAO I laughed so loud when after I read the "pulled the car back one too many clicks" then slowly scrolling down and seeing that tiny little car!

I know in truth these little cars are faster than you expect but let's face it, they're not winning too many races.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I rarely see one anymore . I think they are stupid . Slow , expensive , not that good on MPG .

A toy car , and dangerous IMO .

George
What's more dangerous? A Smart Car or a motorcycle? 😜

A Smart Car owner might describe a motorcycle as a toy, pointing out that he may still take to the road, even when there's a little ice present; or skip the gearing-up ritual for normal ride and rain.

Bottom line, unto each their own or, "whatever floats our boat" if we prefer. There are disadvantages and risks associated with all of our decisions.

Overwhelming majority of people travel alone and with little necessary cargo. Smaller, simpler to maintain vehicles that satisfy our transportation needs with less waste, appeal to me, in general. I "solute" cyclists the same way I do other motorcyclists.

·
Registered
182 Posts
They get up and go with m/c engine transplants. Busa engines are the "go to".
Here's a smart ZX10.....
Yeah motorcycle engines aren't really designed to generate the kind of torque that'd be optimal for something that heavy. Doesn't seem like he was using that massive nitrous bottle. There are performance capable 1L car engines, such as the turbo three cylinder in the base Fiesta. That would generate an exciting amount of torque. Of course, that'd be a much more expensive project and the space requirement would be much more substantial than the motorcycle engine. Then there's the possible suspension challenges with adding all that weight from the drivetrain.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts