FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Vote for the Site Favourite BOTM winner for the year of 2021 HERE!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just returned from a family holiday in SW France. The FJR was used as my preferred means of transport. The machine was unused for ten days, which had been planned (similar to last year), however I took along the battery charger knowing from bitter experience there can be difficulties starting after such a break.

This year the battery was fine but the b**ger would not start. After hours of trying, including pushing the FJR up a hill (repeatedly) in an attempt to bump start (heavy old machine isn't it?) I had to make use of a recovery service. They too failed, so the old girl was tranposrted to a local Yamaha dealer. After being informed that they could do nothing for a week a mechanic pushed the starter button. No joy. He tried another two times when it then burst into life and he gave it a spell of high revs. Since then she has started every time. Any ideas as to what the fault may have been?

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, obviously there could be a number of things but -

One thing that I have noticed and happened to a number of people is that the old girl can flood easily. The problem is, every time you turn on the ignition, the injectors are being charged with fuel (again), so you flood it even more.

People have been amazed by the problems they encounter starting, then take the following advice and it starts - give it a full throttle twist and crank the engine. If it doesn't start, do not switch off the ignition. Try again with full throttle and so on. Ok, if it doesn't cough and fire after a few attempts at this, then it should be something else. Taking out the spark plugs and drying them can also help, plus leaving the bores to evaporate the excess fuel.

But that's just the flooded engine problems, it could be many things of course.

Do you have a power commander fitted?. I had similar problems with mine after winter storage and the PCIII was the culprit.

General checking of all electrical connections may help, but is good for the bike anyway.

Doesn't it make you feel a prat when someone else walks up to it and it fires up, as though you are a complete numpty?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rabbit, I have many years practise of being a prat, I now have it down to an art form! Your description of fuel flooding could well have been the culprit. Due to the excessive heat and time taken to get to the workshop the majority of the excess fuel would have eveporated. I never knew this to be a problem. Many thanks. Maybe I should fly down with the family next year. Only joking - no chance!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts