FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Many of you have Garmin GPS on your bikes, and probably have Garmin MapSource on your computers. If you also have Google Earth on your computer, you can display tracks or routes recorded by your GPS while you are riding, directly on a Google Earth picture. This is quite an interesting way to display a ride. It looks like this.

To do this, transfer a recorded track from your GPS into MapSource, then select View in the tool bar, and "View in Google Earth". Simple as that.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Sounds neat. But view in Google Earth doesn't come up as an option on mine. :cry:

:)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Liquid, sounds like one or both of your programs need updating. Go to "Help" in both programs and check for updates.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
I guess so. Sounds like a great feature, though. I'll look into that!

:)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
It works just like Bernie said after I downloaded the latest update (from the MapSource help menu). Another thing to play with. :D

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Rockbyter said:
Does it work with the free version or only full version?
Free version of what? GoogleEarth or MapSource (is there a free version of MapSource?)

It works for me on my version of MapSource (purchased when I purchased GPS) and the free version of GoogleEarth (which I also had to update, BTW. I had not used it for a few months, and it asked me to update when I opened it)

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have recently updated my MapSource and Google Earth programs using "Help" in the tool bars, and Google Earth particularly has been greatly improved. It is now possible to view the satellite picture across your entire screen.

But the biggest improvement is that you can view a lot more information when you link a GPS track into Google Earth than you could before. Now, you can view all the GPS data at every single log point along the track. Thus you can see your speed, heading, position, altitude, date, and time at any log point. Simply click on any log point.

This could be useful in competition events. You could see what was happening at any point in a circuit or race track.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hey Bernie, Stick to the road and stop cutting corners. Great option - I'l need to try it sometime. Won't help in trying to defend a performance award, though. I think it would condemn rather that exonerate.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Just imagine, they could give you a seperate award for every log point in the track, it could cost millions. :shock: :shock: :shock:

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Yup, gives a different prospective on things, overlaying your tracks on Google Earth.

Was able to have a look at the exact piece of grass verge where I threw up, when I was taken ill by the roadside a couple of months back :lol:

·
Registered
122 Posts
Rockbyter said:
Does it work with the free version or only full version?
Strange I am having the same probs, just upgraded both apps, Google Earth: Ver 3.0.058(beta) & MapSource: Ver 6.11.3
Mine tells me that I need to use the Google Earth Plus to access this feature.
Any other suggestions?

·
Registered
721 Posts
Works just fine for me.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
JamesK, my version of Google Earth is version 4. I suggest you un-install your version, then download a new version from the Google site.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Bernie said:
JamesK, my version of Google Earth is version 4. I suggest you un-install your version, then download a new version from the Google site.
Thanks Bernie, that did the trick, the reason was I believe is that there are two concurrent versions out, 3.xx (production) and 4.xx (beta) as when I went to the Google Earth page to manually download the s/w they had both listed and I guess the upgrade path only uses the production version s/w.
I have another question does anyone know how to turn off/disable all the ACTIVE LOGxxx from being displayed on the map overlay that Google generates? My GPS tracks usually have many logs since a new log is automatically started every time the GPS looses and reacquires a signal, and going through tunnels and around mountains, etc is usually the culprit.
The problem I am seeing on many of my tracks is that the ACTIVE LOG labels pretty much obscure the Google Map.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I was wondering the same thing. I haven't found the answer yet.

·
Registered
721 Posts
Open up the side bar and drop down the places tab so that you can see something like this.

You can then select or deselect individual logs and within each log select or deselect the points you do or don't want to see.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Ian said:
Open up the side bar and drop down the places tab so that you can see something like this.
You can then select or deselect individual logs and within each log select or deselect the points you do or don't want to see.
Thanks Ian, I have tried that, but that removes the tracks as well, I was wondering if there is a way to just not show the "ACTIVE LOG xxxx" labels.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts