FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had my bike serviced at the FJ Owners club was a 12,000 mile service everything was fine apart from my linkages they were knackered and needed replacing at£175 .
when down a year ago they found the linkages had never been greased by the dealers who had done 2 major services on bike so the damage had been done.
Beware of dealer servicing going to FJ club is a 750 mile round trip for me but well worth it even in yesterdays cold weather of -5

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Should of got the linkage modded for grease nipples while it was off, makes the whole maintenance thing far easier.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Stripping and regreasing the rear suspension linkages and bearings is one of the main jobs on my annual to do list.

Would be a bit easier if I had some nipples to play with, but this way I actually get to look at them.

·
Registered
721 Posts
marshman said:
Would be a bit easier if I had some nipples to play with, but this way I actually get to look at them.
Oooerr Christine! :lol:

·
Registered
317 Posts
I had my 24000 mile service done at TAZ a few weeks ago. It was a fair bit cheaper than a main dealer and when I checked what was done I could see why. They did not do the rear suspension linkages or the head bearings. My rear wheel is off at the moment for a new tyre so I guess I could do the linkages myself. I know the info is going to be somewhere but who can tell me how to do these linkages??

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
It's not easy the centre stand has to come off! So the bike has to be supported.
The old site should have the info on it still Mike.

if you have no luck I will go over it with you.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Cheers guys.

Now then, being an astute individual I can forecast that the bike will fall over when I take the stand off. Perhaps I should have gone to a main dealer for the service but it was over £450.

Woody, if you are in any fit state at Stratford I'll tap you up then.

Mike

·
Registered
558 Posts
Winters..Doing his own Linkages..

Oh..ERrr, *cough*..sorry Mike ...Good Luck.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I was hoping you could come round and hold the bike up for me while I do them. Shouldn't take more than an hour or two.
:wink:

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
@Mike,
R U saying i'm a bit of a piss head:?:
Anyone would think I have a problem!
I Drink, I Stagger, I Falldown, No Problem

Yeh we'll a have chat at the Christmas Do then mike.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I assume there are standard things a dealer is supposed to do at certain mileages. Are you guys suggesting some of the dealers are not doing what you are paying for??????!!!!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
Well, the stearing bearings and shock linkages are on the schedule at every 12000 miles - it's a good guess that most dealers don't do this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts