FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: AtlRiderrr

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
For those hesitant, there simply wasn't enough grease in the relay arm bearings to keep the water out right from the get-go. as fjrlee said...... I'd at minimum put the bike on the centerstand and grease the three points you can get at..... this will save you some hefty $$$ in replacement parts. The front one, do when you can, and if those bearings/bushings are shot, at least that's a lot cheaper than doing them all.

Getting scarce now, but if you can find a used relay arm, you can have it ready to go when you need to...... again cheaper than replacing bearings and bushings on a rusty one... add up the prices of the individual parts and you'll see what I mean.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
FYI for oldjeep, FJReady will modify/sell you a relay arm he has installed zerk fittings in.... a bit spendy, but total solution. Read the thread and you'll see what's involved in modifying the relay arm bushings so the grease can get to where it needs to be.

Interesting - so he is sending the grease in from the dogbone side rather than the pivot side. Wouldn't be how I would do it, but definitely another way to skin the cat

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Your way is perfectly ok if you can slit the bushing such that the grease travels to the bearings..... can you get bolts the right size is the next question.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
Your way is perfectly ok if you can slit the bushing such that the grease travels to the bearings..... can you get bolts the right size is the next question.
I definitely wouldn't slit the bushing. I would drill a couple of through holes like you do on a shackle bushing. The bolts are no problem - you drill the stock ones.

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
You must have good drills....... those bushings are very very hard.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
You must have good drills....... those bushings are very very hard.
Yup, industrial quality centering bits. One of the benefits from a job my oldest had in college.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
23 Posts
Wowza! Were they creaking like a haunted house door?
They only creaked a little when I backed the bike into the garage.

Just a note, that was at 125K plus miles, and I ride year round in all weather. (pre-covid)

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
Yup, industrial quality centering bits. One of the benefits from a job my oldest had in college.
What kind of drill cuts hardnesses of 50-60 HRC? Pure carbide (I'm not a machinist by trade)? Easier to slit by grinding I'd think.

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
Quite honestly I have no idea what they are, the machine shop my son worked in used them for drilling stainless and titanium.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Do you guys think it’s likely coming from one of the “easy to access” linkages?

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #54 ·

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
281 Posts
Agree with Oldjeep - just do it. Put a scissors jack under the rear drive and lift just enough to take the weight off the linkages. Three nuts to remove and the bolts will come out, push the bushing out. Grease and replace - the end.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
Agree with Oldjeep - just do it. Put a scissors jack under the rear drive and lift just enough to take the weight off the linkages. Three nuts to remove and the bolts will come out, push the bushing out. Grease and replace - the end.
White lithium grease be ok? That’s what i currently have. Someone mentioned marine grade axle grease.. sounds intense..😆

·
Premium Member
9,316 Posts
A marine grade grease resists washout better than plain lithium.... but use what you got for now.
At your very high mileage, never lubed and creaking, I got money saying you're going to need some bearings and bushing parts...... just do it as has been mentioned, EZ enough and you'll know where you're at.
The individual bearings and bushings add up to $$ quickly..... see what you need, then go looking for a used relay arm. Repaired a friend's not long ago, we got the bearing but had to wait for the collar to come off backorder..... I'd recommend knowing where you're at before you go to the dealer or your bike might be tied up for a while.........

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,816 Posts
What kind of drill cuts hardnesses of 50-60 HRC? Pure carbide (I'm not a machinist by trade)? Easier to slit by grinding I'd think.
Try cobalt steel bits intead of the normal high speed steel. They drill grade 8 bolts like they're nothing.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 ·
A marine grade grease resists washout better than plain lithium.... but use what you got for now.
At your very high mileage, never lubed and creaking, I got money saying you're going to need some bearings and bushing parts...... just do it as has been mentioned, EZ enough and you'll know where you're at.
The individual bearings and bushings add up to $$ quickly..... see what you need, then go looking for a used relay arm. Repaired a friend's not long ago, we got the bearing but had to wait for the collar to come off backorder..... I'd recommend knowing where you're at before you go to the dealer or your bike might be tied up for a while.........
I’ve got only 27,000 on my 2015, is that really high for the bearings?!

41 - 60 of 66 Posts