FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
21 - 40 of 66 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts

·
Registered
2018 FJR1300ES
3,211 Posts
My 14’s were fine at 85000 miles. Ridden in rain all the time. My 18 is fine at just over 80,000 miles. I’ve ridden in frog chokers a lot this year.
Whats the average time before gen III folks usually have steering bearing issues...or do they?

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
The greasable bolts would only lube the inside of the bearing collars, not the bearings themselves.
Ah, there are collars around the bolts and those are inside the needle bearings? IF so you would need to drill and chamfer the collar as well.
Guess I'll see what I find when I get around to it.
Font Gas Audio equipment Circle Metal

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,316 Posts
Whats the average time before gen III folks usually have steering bearing issues...or do they?
Every FJR will have loose steering head bearings in a few hundred miles from new. At that time, re-torque to 16-18 ft. lbs. and you should be good for a very long time. However, while you're at it, give the bearings a good re-grease in case they were a little shy on grease from the factory.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
The factories don't use them on jeeps either. It would cost an extra $2. Factories also don't install greasable ball joints or tierod ends any more ;)
I know what you mean... but Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kwakasooky don't make Jeeps... jus' say'n. ;)

I would get the front end up in the air (have a fat friend sit on the pillion seat while the bike is on the center stand) and give those steering head bearings a look/feel and only replace them if they need it. The factory ones will go a LONG time if they weren't messed up by the person that installed the riser.

Disclaimer: I don't believe tapered bearings are necessary and I don't believe they had to replace the steering head bearings with that top riser. (and I don't believe in raising the handlebars on an already upright bike, but that's just me.)

Reactions: natsmada4fjr

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
I know what you mean... but Yamaha/Honda/Suzuki/Kwakasooky don't make Jeeps... jus' say'n. ;)

I would get the front end up in the air (have a fat friend sit on the pillion seat while the bike is on the center stand) and give those steering head bearings a look/feel and only replace them if they need it. The factory ones will go a LONG time if they weren't messed up by the person that installed the riser.

Disclaimer: I don't believe tapered bearings are necessary and I don't believe they had to replace the steering head bearings with that top riser. (and I don't believe in raising the handlebars on an already upright bike, but that's just me.)
Well, I installed the current upper triple tree (ABM). There was previously a HeliRiser upper tree on it. Neither one requires you to touch the bearings. The swap was more about the god awful non adjustable ergonomics of the stock bars than the height. Had plenty of height with the stock bars and some risers. FWIW - I raised the bars on the FZ1 too ;) My .02 - Most motorcycles are made for midgets, everyone else has to adjust them :D

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,255 Posts
LOL... we just HAFTA put you on an R6 someday. :LOL:
I don't think my back could handle that. I sat on a couple sport bikes the last time the motorcycle show was in town and I couldn't pull off that much forward lean for very long.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
I don't think my back could handle that. I sat on a couple sport bikes the last time the motorcycle show was in town and I couldn't pull off that much forward lean for very long.
Yeah, she ain't built for comfort!! For me that's no problem with the back, but the knees... yup. The neck gets tired of looking up too. :)

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Well I had to switch places with the bikes in the garage today.. the VFR was getting new shoes. I sat and bounced on the the FJR a few times to make sure I’m not being paranoid…it creaks like a haunted house door😆. I’m not riding it again until i get it fixed. I’m just gonna have the shop do ALL of the rear linkage…then i won’t have to worry about it again unless i ride through another hurricane. I’ll get the brake switch recall done at the same time. Apparently I popped up for that.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just completed my 16k service over a couple of days I timed it at 7 1/2 hours taking my time Hardest part was finding the torque values in the manual (First time with a FJR)

·
Registered
444 Posts
If you don’t have a way to hang the bike, use a pair of sawhorses and support the bike by placing a pipe under the exhaust hangers. Something like this.

Hood Motor vehicle Automotive tire Bumper Automotive design
Tire Wheel Vehicle Motor vehicle Hood
Motor vehicle Hood Wheel Automotive design Tire

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
281 Posts
I do similar to the above. Lift the bike using the platform. Clamp the front wheel. Place a longish piece of timber between and under both exhaust hangers. Sit the timber on a tall bar stool at each end. Gently lower the bike lift a few inches so that the timber supports the bike and the centrestand is free. Works perfectly and the bike is stable.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
All of your pictures are making me want to take it to the shop more and more😆. I appreciate it👍🏼

·
Premium Member
FJR1300 A, TMax 530 DX, Tracer GT900, XS850
281 Posts
Well, it is easy to do the most vulnerable 3 out of the 4 without removing anything/propping etc. . Takes about an hour max

·
Registered
594 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Well, it is easy to do the most vulnerable 3 out of the 4 without removing anything/propping etc. . Takes about an hour max
That’s true but if this could just be a one-and- done thing for me and I’ll not likely have to worry about it again…may as well get ALL pivots done at once.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300ES
23 Posts
Hung my '06 from the garage door header, down to the sub-frame. Not as bad as I expected. The bearings were dusty dry.
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting
Wood Tints and shades Automotive tire Metal Soil
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting Wood Tints and shades Automotive tire Metal Soil

21 - 40 of 66 Posts