FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gentlemen,

What do you know about bulb options for the standard headlights. I'm not interested in the"Eyes of God" and the appendages to mount them at this time. Various sites list Blue bulbs, Silver Star etc., 80/100watt, 130 watt?? Many are not approved for street use. Have any of you used these high wattage bulbs, and do they blind oncoming traffic?

The UK site, Power Bulb I believe, says their Blue bulbs use the same wattage and don't require heavy wiring and/or relays. That sounds like the deal to me. Anyone tried that route?

In San Diego,
Thanks, BAGSTR

·
Registered
122 Posts
Can't help with higher wattage info just that heat generated in the headlamp is also an issue to consider.
As for the blue bulb, Yep got them in the car and they emit a different light.. sort of like a clearer brighter for want of a better vocabulary. I wouldn't say it was worth the extra $$$. I know if they blow as often as standard ones I'll be back to the el-cheapos....

·
Registered
117 Posts
BAGSTR said:
The UK site, Power Bulb I believe, says their Blue bulbs use the same wattage and don't require heavy wiring and/or relays. That sounds like the deal to me. Anyone tried that route?
I ran both the Philips "Vision Plus" bulbs and the Sylvainia SilverStars before turning to HID.

Both were excellent. Of the two, I might give a slight edge to the Philips "Vision Plus" as far as pure light output, but not by much. The SilverStars are quite excellent themselves, and you can get them at your local AutoZone, Schuck's, etc

In fact, if I wasn't running HID now, I'd would have stayed with the SilverStars, as both my Philips bulbs blew out in less than a year of use. I'm beginning to think that maybe -possibly - the Philips bulbs are being a bit "overdriven", and if so, may have contributed to the (somewhat) abbreviated lifespan that I experienced with them. YMMV, etc

·
Registered
77 Posts
Bagster - the PIAA extreme white bulb for the FJR are amazing.

Same power draw but A LOT more light and much "whiter" without being blue tints either.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Had some of the Phillips bulbs in the car, and like Warchilds experience, they both blew a lot quicker than normal bulbs. To give them their due, there is a warning on the packet that they may not last as long, and they are brighter, but as I recall it was only a matter of a few months after fitting them before they had to be replaced.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used the 'Ring' 80/100 watt Blue bulbs in the FJR for more than 2 years wirh no problems, they do make a huge difference, people see you a mile off. They are marked 'off road use' though. I hardly think the police are going to stop you and ask you to whip them out for inspection. I also dipped my sidelight bulbs in a blue colouring solution, just to make them match.

Malki

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Ran the Philips V+ for 20,000 miles before one low beam went out. Replaced both as a pair with the same because they are good. Kept the (old) good one as a spare.

Murph's has them at a good price.

One thing to note about tinted bulbs is that they send less lumens down range where you need them; eating up some as passing through the tint. Additionally some tints (like blue) can mask obstacles in the road (sand, etc.) at night.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/blue.html

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Lighting Review - con't

Thanks guys,

The 80/100watt lamp must pull down more amps. Is that why Sport Touring.net sell wiring harness and relays?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bulbs

Phillips also do a bulb called a "GT150". 50% and a blue tinge. I am using them and are more than pleased.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Re: Lighting Review - con't

BAGSTR said:
Thanks guys,

The 80/100watt lamp must pull down more amps. Is that why Sport Touring.net sell wiring harness and relays?
They will also get hotter and remember the main lens is only plastic.

Also some of the cheaper brands of bulb can send the main lens yellow :!:

·
Registered
47 Posts
What about using these Lamps instead of using the H4 standard bulbs. Much brighter but using less power. The H4 Star White has no blue tint.

woody wrote
They will also get hotter and remember the main lens is only plastic.
Has any one out there tried and test yet :?:

·
Registered
177 Posts
I used the 80/100 lights for over 2 years day and night with no ill effect on the lamp lens or other electrics, if thats what you mean.

Malki

·
Registered
117 Posts
The H4 Star White are 100/110 lights.
Well, no, actually, they are not.

They are standard 55-watt low beam, 60-watt high beam.

It's PIAA's marketing ploy that wants consumers to believe the "output" is equivalent to 100w/110w lamps.

I'm sure they produce a killer light, but I'm also pretty sure they are "overdriven", and will likely have the abbreviated lifespan that attends that technique.

Hey, who knows... maybe PIAA has changed their manufacturing process from their earlier "Xtreme" days. Give 'em a shot, and tell us what you think of 'em....

·
Registered
47 Posts
Warchild
Hey, who knows... maybe PIAA has changed their manufacturing process from their earlier "Xtreme" days. Give 'em a shot, and tell us what you think of 'em....
I installed the H4 Star White 100/110 lights they work perfect, great lights.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Guys,

Remember that the K numbers represent color and not power. 3500K is what some call "warm white." The Sylvania Silver Star is rated at 4000K and 4300K is close to sunlight.

I'm planning on trying the Silver Star units.

In San Diego,
BAGSTR

·
Registered
8 Posts
I do the PIAA extreme white plus. They also have a 1 year warranty that claim no questions asked. But be sure you use a cotton glove when installing them. Keep your oils from your skin off the bulbs.
Cost about 75.00 a pair

1 - 20 of 26 Posts