FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Nearly bought an LCD TV. Had my hand in pocket for plastic when the salesman mentions screen burn and pixel drop out.

Manufacturer reckons 180 pixels dropped is within spec ....

In their dreams maybe but not mine .....

Anybody suffer from this .. seem to remember a previous thread.

Is it common ?

·
Registered
163 Posts
I have two LCD TV's. A Sharp for the kitchen (little guy) and a Sony for the den (big guy). No problems with either. Don't notice any missing pixels. Both are going on 3 years old...

I was originally going to get a plasma for the den, but heard of too many 'burning' problems. Looks like they've resolved those issues.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I'm no expert but I saw one on TV saying that LCD is good for viewing in bright conditions and plasma in low light.. or the other way around. Sorry I can't remember which, but worth asking before you hand over the hard earned pennies.
IMHO we are being jerked off something shocking here in Oz with the intro if digital TV. They 1st sell us a converter box so our old set will work, then they sell us new widesreen super duper hi res screens and still need a bloody box, and then another if you want to to video tape. Whatever happened to one appliance for one purpose. I won't be buying one til I can plug in one TV set and watch it ( for under $1000)
oops... fell off the soapbox... I'm fine now :)

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
@Andy: Foxtel digital; LG Plasma Hi-def (no extra box reqd as it includes a Hi-def/digital tuner whatever) and your VCR/DVD recorder. If you want to make the walls shake you will need to add the right theatre sound for you.

For $1,000 - not for a long while yet, so let's just enjoy riding for now.

·
Registered
191 Posts
LCD, Plasma, magicjuice - whatever you get just remember that it has a limited life. Don't leave the screen on while you listen to satellite radio, for example. Treat the TV like a very expensive light bulb, and conserve its life. Hey, what do we call it now that it's not a "tube" ???

·
Registered
119 Posts
zane_in_nc said:
Hey, what do we call it now that it's not a "tube" ???
Zombie Box
Idiot Box
Babysitter
Propaganda Distribution Device
Retail Availability Awareness Generator

We actually managed to live for a year or so in a new house without a television. Too far out of the city to get broadcast, I refused to deal with the cable company, and at first we were too busy moving in to miss it, then it was winter & too dangerous to install the satellite (her words, not mine)... Now we're back to 700 channels & nothing worth watching.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Keep in mind that plasma screens consume as much power as your average fridge. That's a lot of juice. A LCD in contrast uses very little. The price difference between a plasma and good LCD you easily get back by savings on your electricity bill.

·
Registered
55 Posts
rydfree said:
The manufactors just say that to cover their ass . Several million pixels is a lot to get aligned properly etc . If they are all working when you first plug it in chances are they will last until something else goes .
Max stand analog is about 720 x 480 pixels = 345,600 pixels
HDTV 720p = 1280 x 720 pixels = 921,600 pixels
HDTV 1080i = 1920 x 1080 = 2,073,600 pixels
Good LCD monitor = 1600 x 1200 = 1,920,000 pixels

My laptop is 1600x1200 with no dead pixels.
My cheapo LCD monitor is 1280x1024 with 1 dead, slight annoyance at times. When I bought this one, there was an option to pay a premium for a screen that had been tested and guaranteeed no dead pixels, but I didn't think it was worth it.
My decent LCD monitor is 1280x1024 with no dead pixels.
I thought that "tolerance" was up to 5 dead pixels.

No way would I accept 180 pixels. Dead pixels actually stand out a lot more than you would expect looking at the overall totals. In fact, I only put up with the 1 dead pixel because I don't use that monitor that much. For movies and such, it will stand out quite clearly, and many more would have me looking for a replacement.

If 180 is their declared tolerance, make sure you test it in the shop first. They rarely go later, so as rydfree said, if it works in the shop, you should be good.

·
Registered
77 Posts
If you want BIG screen and can deal with the TV having about 12" depth then DLP technology is better than both LCD & PDP.

Why? well because there are no dead pixels. If a chip fails you can replace it! The brightness / unit area is x2 that of any other display medium. And the acceptable viewing angles are wider than LCD or PDP.

But they start at 38" to 42" so you need to have a lot of space.

OLED's do rock as they will allow you to have a screen in a scroll, not just very bright huge flat screens. They are already used in many digital camera screens and most don't realise.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Joos
+ 1
One of my sons researched & compared types for a few months before his splurge. He went DPL, 42 inch, and I have to agree that the picture is really sharp. It's also lighter in weight & runs cooler than plasma or LCD. Ever felt the heat from the top of a large LCD TV?

·
Registered
170 Posts
Hi Gypsy,
He went with Sony, 42 inch DLP. Now wishes he'd got the 50 inch :lol:

I offered to take it off his hands at a "used" price but he wasn't too receptive!!

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
RogDeb said:
One of my sons researched & compared types for a few months before his splurge. He went DPL, 42 inch, and I have to agree that the picture is really sharp. It's also lighter in weight & runs cooler than plasma or LCD. Ever felt the heat from the top of a large LCD TV?
Which type did he get? What style of color wheel? Or was it the more expensive design with a DLP chip for each base color? If color wheel-based does anyone in your family notice the "rainbow" artifacts?

·
Registered
170 Posts
bounce said:
RogDeb said:
Which type did he get? What style of color wheel? Or was it the more expensive design with a DLP chip for each base color? If color wheel-based does anyone in your family notice the "rainbow" artifacts?
Bounce
Now ya just flew right over my head :?
All I can tell you is:-
Sony 42"
Model # KDFE42A10
Wega engine, Hi def -- 3 LCD panels with 1 lens projection.
That's on the scrap of paper he left with me to keep me happy :lol:

Dunno what else to tell ya -------------- Sony.com?

·
Registered
32 Posts
When I want to find out more about my FJR, I come here.

When I want to find out more about LCD's or Plasma's I go to the following:
http://www.avsforum.com

As passionate as we are about our rides, avsforum guys are the same about their televisions.

One comment about the DLP. Lots of bits to break, What then?
More info on DLP
http://www.dlp.com/dlp_technology/dlp_technology_overview.asp?bhcp=1

I went with a Phillips 42 inch HD Plasma because I have a wide viewing angle and because of the most important thing...picture looked the best compared to the other sets that were displayed.
My Plasma

Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Its funny you should bring up the avsforum. I have been researching Samsungs 61 inch DLP television and ran onto their site. They are passionate.

They seem to know what they are talking about. The discussion was way over my head.

"Lots of bits to break" Warranty? extended?

Remember the half life of a plasma TV is 10,000 to 20,000 hrs. For DLP its 40,000 to 50,000.

Plasma is quite a bit more expensive from what I've researched so far.

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
gr8eyes said:
Remember the half life of a plasma TV is 10,000 to 20,000 hrs. For DLP its 40,000 to 50,000.

Plasma is quite a bit more expensive from what I've researched so far.
Just do it!! When we bought our Plasma 7 months ago the 42 inch LG had just broken the AU$3000 price point, and we managed to negotiate an extended warranty (can't recall if it was 3 or 5 years) into the out-the-door price that was cstill below $3,000. If figured that if it is switched on for 5hrs/day for 5 years that is 9,125 hrs of use. If whoever switches it on puts $1 in the cookie jar each time, then that will be $1,825 in the cookie jar in 5 years. That will probably buy me something way better at that time (considering our last TV was in use for over 10 years, this looked good to me, and in real terms cost me the same as the new plasma). :lol:

No, I didn't really do all that maths and logic at the time :shock: Had the money, price point was right, and bought it. Did the self-justification later. A bit like trying to justify why you ride a bike based on cost: 2 bike tyres cost $420.00, last 10,000k's. Cost per km = 4.2c 4 car tyres cost $480, last 80,000k's. Cost per km = 0.6c Yeah, right, I ride a bike because it's cheaper. No I ride a bike because I like to, and am blessed enough to have the health and resources to afford it. :)

1 - 20 of 31 Posts