FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any one using one? I used one on a K12GT and it worked well. I'd prefer a lip to a taller screen. TIA.

·
Registered
136 Posts
I have one but haven't installed it yet. The instructions that came with it say that if you drive at high speeds then you should fasten it with nylon screws rather than the velcro that comes with it.

gypsy

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
gypsy,
On the K12 I used the velcro only and ran 125mph by the Bonneville salt flats without a problem. Let me know how it works for you.

·
Registered
107 Posts
I used a Laminar lip on both my former FJR's and was very very satisfied about it.
Never had problems with high speed.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I have few spare screens and thinking of making one just for the hell of it :!:

Any tips on drilling the plastic screens :?:

·
Registered
119 Posts
Drilling plastic :!:
If you spin the drill bit too fast, you'll melt the plastic (nasty smells & gums up the bit, may discolor the plastic).
Excess pressure will crack the plastic
I personally haven't had problems with tear-out on the backside, but ymmv; consider drilling from the 'underside' of the screen once the center point of the bit (using a brad point bit) has pierced through (makes matching up the center of the drilling easier).

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I agree with Wess

Use a common wood drill with a brad point, which is exactly what I would use - slow and gentle....

If overheating is a possibility, consider a ring of plasticine (or similar) around the point to be drilled and fill with water to give it a cooling bath whilst drilling.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Screen extension

For anyone interested in this sort of thing. I have run the last 150,000 miles (K75, R1100RT and now an FJR1300) with a home made plastic wind deflector on the top of the screen. These are similar to the Laminar Lip but just run straight across the top. It works.

Basically it is a length of clear plastic approx 16" x 4". I got it from my local supplier by just going in and asking if I could rummage through his scrap bin.

Cut to length and rounded the corners using a ceramic tile cutting blade on a jigsaw. Toothed jigsaw blades rip the plastic.

Bent to shape over the wife's cooker.

Rather than drill the bike screen I mounted it using the sort of clamps you get with cheap plastic car mudflaps.

Sorry I can't post pictures or diagrams.

The bolt for the clamp first goes through the plastic, then through a nut so the plastic will be gripped between the head of the bolt and the nut, It then goes through the threaded hole in the clamp onto two rubber tap (faucett, for those over the pond) washers one each side of the screen to clamp it to the screen. I jam a metal washer on the end of the bolt (so the washer will spread the load on the rubber tap washer)

In fitting it you have to mount it all up, but loose. Place the clamp and two washers on the screen and tighten up the bolt to clamp it on the screen. With the clamp tight you can then tighten the nut back towards the plastic (and bolt head) to hold the plastic in place.

Further tuning can be done by using short lengths of metal tube cut, at an angle, over the bolt each side of the deflector to change the deflrctor's angle in relation to the screen.

Total cost, 2x nuts, 2x bolts, 4x tap washers, 2x metal washers all from stuff I had already. A pair of cheap plastic mudflaps, under £5 and a free length of clear plastic.

I would play with doing this rather than spend real money on a commercially produced item. By clamping it to the screen you can take it off and transfer it to your next bike.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had the Laminar Lip on my '05 for about 4000 miles. It moves the air over my head nicely. The mount looks a bit iffy, but if you choose to mount it with the dual sided adhesive dots, they work fine. I don't think you will have a problem with the lip flying off at speed unless you spend a lot of time really, really fast. I ride in traffic that routinely reaches 85-90 mph and have had no issues at all with the mount. In short, I like the lip just fine, but it isn't attractive. IMO, the real reason to mount the thing with screws would be the look of that mount vs. the appearance of the "dots".

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Thanks for the info Guy's will have a play over the winter period.

What type of screws should I use ie: brass, plastic etc?

·
Registered
5 Posts
I had a Lip on the stock 04 screen, but the velcro dots pulled off the screen in the heat. Fortunately I was able to get stopped before it flew off and possibly injured me.

I then switched to a Cee Bailey's screen and haven't yet experimented with mounting the Lip on that. When I do I will drill it for the nylon bolts....
Dave :shock:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks for the info guys. This is my first Yammy since a 550 Vision in '82. I have been riding BMWs lately, K12GT and then a R1150RT which I still have, but this FJR puts them to shame. I picked up the bike at Blue Ridge Yamaha, did the Dragon, then hopped on 40W to Albuquerque. Great bike, cold ride.

·
Registered
2 Posts
woody said:
Thanks for the info Guy's will have a play over the winter period.

What type of screws should I use ie: brass, plastic etc?
As I recall, the company offers to send the screws (nylon) on request?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Another satisfied Laminar Lip user

I installed mine this past spring, and it has worked quite well for me. It cuts down on the wind noise considerably, allowing me to enjoy the music from my mp3 player. It has also decreased the wind buffeting around the helmet. You can check out pictures of the installation here:

http://www.robertmichaud.com/html/laminar_lip.html

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
41 Posts
In a recent issue of Cycle Canada, one of the staff wrote that they had purchased a Laminar lip for thier 2006 AE test bike, and they were very satisfied with it.

I have ordered one & will let you know what I think of it on my 2006 A.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts