FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I got the news that my company has to cut cost. My position will be eliminated and my last day will be end of August. At 55 years old this is the first time in my life that I have been laid off.

Many people would probably be devastated, but to my surprise my initial feeling is relief and happiness. Has anyone else experienced that? I should add that I haven't been super happy about my job for a few years. I have been with the company for 10 years, and it has been a stable job with a good salary - just not very exciting. Maybe that's why I am happy about it?

I have no idea what I am going to do next. I may look for a similar job (software), or I may do something completely different. I am a DIY person with lots of skills, so I am not really worried about not finding a job. Plus I have a good rainy-day fund :) . I think September will include a lot of motorcycle riding, which I am excited about.

To a new beginning and a bright future! Yay.

·
Premium Member
412 Posts
@mortenk

I've been laid off twice in my career, and each time I found something better and more fulfilling afterwards! Are you eligible for Unemployment in your State?

Best of luck and enjoy your newfound FREEDOM!!!

·
Registered
2014 FJR 2003 ZRX1200
117 Posts
Yesterday I got the news that my company has to cut cost. My position will be eliminated and my last day will be end of August. At 55 years old this is the first time in my life that I have been laid off.

Many people would probably be devastated, but to my surprise my initial feeling is relief and happiness. Has anyone else experienced that? I should add that I haven't been super happy about my job for a few years. I have been with the company for 10 years, and it has been a stable job with a good salary - just not very exciting. Maybe that's why I am happy about it?

I have no idea what I am going to do next. I may look for a similar job (software), or I may do something completely different. I am a DIY person with lots of skills, so I am not really worried about not finding a job. Plus I have a good rainy-day fund :) . I think September will include a lot of motorcycle riding, which I am excited about.

At 55 (almost 3 years ago) My position was eliminated. It hurt. I loved my job or at least what it once was. The writing was on the wall for a few years but I always made the cut so to speak, I experienced some age discrimination in applying for new positions. I was advised to leave off some of my early resume and things like actual dates of schooling and such. This allowed for more looks from potential employers. So I didn't jump on the 1st thing that came along. On a spur walking out the door one day, I clicked an easy apply through one of the job search sites that my resume was on. 5 minutes later I was talking to the hiring manager.

My advice is it's not as bad as it might appear, although you seem ok with that part of it, leave your age and age related things off of your resume, and you will land on your feet. Your age and experience is an asset. Good Luck!

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
Sorry, MortenK. Yeah that sucks, but you have the right attitude! You weren't "Laid Off," you were given an unplanned but much needed vacation!! Keep us posted!!

Can you do IT support?

·
Registered
1,768 Posts
First thing, plan a motorcycle trip for the week after, so you can get out and relax and do something enjoyable. Someplace you've always wanted to go to or see.

Get someone to help you with your resume'. They are different these days. HR doesn't care about the minutia, and if you put dates in there of High School, College, Jobs etc they can tell how old you are.

Good you saved up a rainy-day fund. Smart man.

Good luck moving forward.

·
Registered
48 Posts
I was laid off just as the covid thing happened. If everything was still opened I would have traveled my butt off. But I took the 2 months off to find another job which I am much happier with. I was laid off a total of 3 times. Once while in school at a job I was at for 22 years and then when they moved to TX. Every time something better came along and or it was the freedom needed to take care of business that had to be done. Every layoff is a step up for me and a needed break. Good luck, have fun and relax. This is the first time in history that the job seeker has the power and can dictate terms to the potential employer. Use it wisely...

·
Premium Member
828 Posts
I was laid off at 47(position eliminated) right after 9-11. Pissed me off at first because I had been with the company for 22 years and they got rid of a lot of senior people. That was back then when they could get rid of the extra senior people but nowadays a lot of companies are trying to retain the expertise. But was the best thing that happened to me. Went back to school for HVAC and got a great union job at 50 which gave me a good pension after 12 years. I retired at 62. So it can be a blessing in disguise. Seems like a lot of places need help in all sorts of areas. You will find something.

·
Registered
2016 FJR1300 ES
532 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
@mortenk
Are you eligible for Unemployment in your State?
I checked the WA unemployment website, and it all looks very organized and straightforward. Benefits should start with week #2 after layoff, and I need to submit a claim weekly, and of course be actively looking for work. So, I can't ride my bike all day I guess :cool:

·
Registered
520 Posts
I didn't get laid off. I got fired about 2 years back from a job I loved. It fit me, my skill/experience/training and education package to a 'T.' A new company president was appointed and from day one, I saw he was a wrecking machine. I was his first target because I saw what he was going to attempt to do w/the organization- none of it good- and was the only one w/the chutzpah to speak up.

I was merely the first to get the hatchet. He tore through the organization, taking lots of senior and mid-level people out. Loads more left on their own, unable to work for this creep. To me, it was devastating. I'd relocated for this job some 7+ years prior, loved the area, my people (I was a director) and it was all wiped out because of this a-hole's ego. The financial hit was extensive on a number of levels but the emotional hit hurt worse. At 60+, it was not going to be easy to find another job requiring the same type package I had. I'm over-qualified and over-educated for many positions so that further complicated matters.

1.5 years later another very similar position finally opened up. The pay blew in comparison but it was right up my alley. I again had to relocate- nothing quite like starting over in your early 60's. Sadly, that gig only lasted 5+ months. A political blow-up at the office left me jobless once again and I've been sitting at home, having just finished out my contract, now looking for work once again.

Retirement ain't my cup of tea. Matter of fact, I hate it. So does my wife- she hates me being retired! So I'm back on the hunt once again, dammit.
Lee

·
Premium Member
2006 FJR1300 AS - Orion The Hunter
1,158 Posts
Damn, Lee. So sorry... But I admire your chutzpah!! You did what was right. You will find your niche, your place, your way.

Reactions: spectreman

·
Registered
2,569 Posts
I checked the WA unemployment website, and it all looks very organized and straightforward. Benefits should start with week #2 after layoff, and I need to submit a claim weekly, and of course be actively looking for work. So, I can't ride my bike all day I guess :cool:
Sure you can, if you are looking for work. ;)

• Haha
Reactions: skippy344!

·
Registered
553 Posts
Sucks to hear of this guys: mortenk and spectreman and others.

Been there a few times as my companies kept getting acquired by much larger companies and you know how that story goes. The smaller company guy gets thrown to the curb.

If yo are professional guys, get your your LinkedIn spruced up and add that Open To Work logo on your picture. Many company recruiters use that to locate job candidates.

That was the only way I got real time off.

Reactions: Barsinister

·
Registered
105 Posts
Nearly the same situation happened to me 7 years ago, I found a new job in a different field that I really loved, worked there for three years, and would have stayed if they allowed remote work. I moved and couldn't take my job with me, so I retired. Good luck buddy, you'll do fine, and probably like your next job a lot more.

·
Registered
29 Posts

Haven't been there but had been in the position to lay staff off; one of the turnoffs of HR profession.
Surely, you would do fine with your kind of mindset. Enjoy the freedom before taking up another job. Congratulations 🎉

·
Registered
59 Posts
Sorry to hear, but I'm a firm believer in "things happen for a reason". I lost my job & got divorced at the same time in 2013. I was with the same company for 18 years but had just moved into a different position (probably my favorite job I've ever had). Only 5 of us in the department for the whole country & guess who was the low seniority one at the time. Major restructuring at a very large company. Not to scare you, but it took me 9 months to find my next gig (2013 was a much different time compared to now). The package I received helped. I'm in a much better place now career wise, but it would never have happened if I didn't get laid off. So it sounds like your mindset and financial situation are on the right side of things.

First thing, plan a motorcycle trip for the week after, so you can get out and relax and do something enjoyable. Someplace you've always wanted to go to or see.

Get someone to help you with your resume'. They are different these days. HR doesn't care about the minutia, and if you put dates in there of High School, College, Jobs etc they can tell how old you are.

Good you saved up a rainy-day fund. Smart man.

Good luck moving forward.
Can't agree more with all of this! Take the time to clear your head and focus on what's next. Best of luck to you!

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,070 Posts
mortenk,
PM incoming. ;)

·
Registered
2021 FJR
217 Posts
If being laid off is a sack of lemons, it’s time to make lemonade and you’ll certainly do so.

I retired 10 years ago at age 60 after working for 42 years. During those years I was never laid off but changed paths quite a few times: veterinary assistant -> US Army -> photofinishing tech -> drafting and design in petro/chem -> construction project management -> back to design -> then 21 years as a high school teacher. Except for the army, I pretty much liked all those gigs except for high school teacher which I LOVED. If you are a software person and like young people, maybe teaching computer science would be a nice way to slide toward the retirement path. After all, the 3 best reasons for becoming a teacher are June, July, and August, the riding months.

·
Registered
'21 NC750XA
225 Posts

I got laid off at the age of 50 (10 years ago). I felt lower than dirt at first and had a kid in college. Once I started giving my resume a serious update, I felt much better about myself and my accomplishments.

I had a job offer before my last day at work. I delayed starting the new job for a little over a month due to holidays and it involved a cross-country move. Worked at that job for 8 years and hated it. Due to my experiences, we saved money like never before. Once he BS got to be too much, I turned in my notice and we moved to East TN to retire.

Reactions: Barsinister

·
Premium Member
1,641 Posts
I'm a gov't contractor. I risk being out on the street every few years. When the contract or program I'm on expires there's no guarantee the new company the contract is awarded to will pick me up. There have been times people were retained but were offered positions at a severe pay cut.

I'm lucky I have a skill set that at 1 time only about 100 of us in the country had so I've always been picked up. I've also supervised up to 17 people and when there were contract cuts letting them go was the worst thing I ever had to do.

Good luck in the job search.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts