FJR Owners Forum banner

Laam Seat Turnaround

14K views 32 replies 15 participants last post by  ReRose 
#1 ·
Hi all, I sent my seat to Seth 4/15 for a 4/25 build date. Didn’t hear anything so called 5/5. He said he would get in touch with me the following week week to get my specifications. Now it’s 5/16 and I’m getting antsy. Can anyone confirm this is normal?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 ·
Questions like this pop up every spring. Based on past yrs, yes it's normal. Why people wait until this time of year is beyond me.

#3 ·
Hey Huck,

It is OK to call once a week, to see where he is. Emails don't work though.

Yeah, he is swamped this time of year. But he Will get to you!!

And I can confirm it is so worth the wait!!

#4 ·
Seth is pretty much a 1 man operation so things go pretty slow and his communication is limited. I have a Laam on my 2014 (FCR) and it is by far the best motorcycle seat I’ve ever had ! But I will tell you that every arse is different ! The thing that really sold me on Seth was that he will make adjustments & repairs for life for free, nobody else does that as far as I know.

Patience !

#6 ·
Thanks all. I’m not in a rush as I have a Yamaha Comfort spare seat. Just wanted to make sure I’m not being treated more poorly than others since I first made contact mid-Feb.

#8 ·
Yeah, emails don't work with him! I find that calling him on a Monday, or Tuesday, is usually good.

So happy with my Seth Laam saddle!! It was transformative for me!

Tire Fuel tank Wheel Automotive tire Vehicle

#10 ·
Yeah, emails don't work with him! I find that calling him on a Monday, or Tuesday, is usually good.

So happy with my Seth Laam saddle!! It was transformative for me!

View attachment 92142
Yes my fat ass is looking forward to it.

#9 ·
I moved on. If people have a website with a request form and can't be bothered to respond to it - I go somewhere else. He should just remove the email/request form from the site.

#11 ·
Huck, we will need pics after you get it!

Reactions: Ahucker
#17 ·
This is why I will most likely will never buy a Laam seat unless I buy a used one. I don't need the customer service hassle. And folks have been bitching about it for years. And while he may be less expensive, I can't imagine any set being more comfortable than the Russell Day Long I had built for me 10 years ago, not to mention the two other RDLs I have bought used over the years.

Reactions: jjscsix and Ahucker
#18 ·
Amazon has us so used to Same Day or Two Day shipping that it makes us question any other situation where we actually have to wait PATIENTLY for something we want. :eek:

YMMV

#21 ·
Got my Laam seat Wednesday and finally opened the box today. 1st the seat fit like crap then I remebered these were stock pans and not like my Corbin so what was the problem. Then I remebered the plastic thing that goes under the seat but not where it went after I put the Corbin on. 40 minutes later I find the plastic pc so the front seat fits good. Could not get the back seat to drop over the front seat so I finessed it and on it went.
Went for a short ride and not sure if I like it. Maybe I need to go further that the 40 feet from the driveway into the garage ..... :unsure:

#23 ·
Got my Laam seat Wednesday and finally opened the box today. 1st the seat fit like crap then I remembered these were stock pans and not like my Corbin so what was the problem. Then I remebered the plastic thing that goes under the seat but not where it went after I put the Corbin on. 40 minutes later I find the plastic pc so the front seat fits good. Could not get the back seat to drop over the front seat so I finessed it and on it went.
Went for a short ride and not sure if I like it. Maybe I need to go further that the 40 feet from the driveway into the garage ..... :unsure:
Hey Bobby;

If you decide it's not for you, I'm interested in taking it off your hands. I have a seat that was custom made for the previous owner and it's comfy but I've always wanted a Laam.

#26 ·
Nice set-up! Ak-20s..... Ohhhhh! And the Delkevic slip-ons...... pretty! Any shock upgrade? The only think I don't like is if you are mounting a top case on there. Without the structural reinforcement of the Givi SR357 rack, or the aluminum Yamaha rack you are playing with fire with your rear subframe.

Reactions: P-Ratt
#27 ·
Nice set-up! Ak-20s..... Ohhhhh! And the Delkevic slip-ons...... pretty! Any shock upgrade? The only think I don't like is if you are mounting a top case on there. Without the structural reinforcement of the Givi SR357 rack, or the aluminum Yamaha rack you are playing with fire with your rear subframe.
Penske 8983 on rear. Yes, I still have a few things on my list but the major upgrades are done

#28 ·
I waited a few months for mine, but he got it to me the morning of a big trip out west I planned. In the first 300 miles I was thinking I made a big mistake. My butt was not pleased. Stopped for lunch and got back on for the remaining 250 miles for the day. When I got to the hotel, I realized that I hadn't thought about my butt once! The next 10 days on the road were wonderful. Well worth the wait. Don't let first impressions discourage you. Put in some miles, let it break in, you'll be happy you made the choice. Now in the 4th year since the Lamm was installed. Sitting on the bike is like putting on a good, worn, shoe. Comfy and snug.

#30 ·
Slade, same for me. When I first got mine back, I thought "Aww, Man... That is $600 I'll never get back..."

Then 200 miles later, I was no longer thinking about the immense pain in my butt! It was a new strange to be able to ride more than 30 minutes, before I HAD to get off for a few minutes.

Now I can ride the full tank, and I don't even notice my butt anymore!!

And with the carbon fiber pattern on the vinyl, it really looks modern and bad ass!!

I fully endorse the Seth Laam seat for these bikes!! It is an investment for life!

Reactions: Slade and ReRose
#31 ·
Laam seems like a good guy but small business with the owner being the only worker then there is bound to be a backlog of work. I just sent my front seat back to him because it needed the pocket moved forward. Not his fault as I said I do not ride up on the tank but evidently I ride closer than what I thought. Oops on my part and had to pay the $86 for UPS to return it to him. That is called the "Stupid Tax" when I make a boo boo. Until then it is the Corbin with the back rest Mr Laam added to the passenger seat which is real comfy.

#32 ·
Seat came back from Mr Laam with the pocket moved to the front so today was ride and hope with the new seat. Had to re-adjust the rider backrest for the Laam seat since it is a different position from the Corbin but after a couple adjustments I got real close. Played today with most being hiway and about 1/3 of the 119 miles was back country roads. Like others the 1st few miles was thinking I made a mistake but after a little while I quit thinking about it and kept riding. There is not much shifting on the seat playing in corners like the Corbin but then I do not do corners so no problem there. I have hiway pegs so there is a way to stretch the legs on the road so the seat is fairly comfy plus my butt told me it can work with this seat.

#33 ·
Cannot believe that Sept 01 was the Laam tryout on the seat and since then I have been on my ZRX and ZX14 and not back on the FJR. Been having fun on the other 2 bikes so iffens it does not rain next week I will have to see if I still like the Laam seat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.