FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Winter's approaching. The knuckle guard farkle seems ideal. Dutifully ordered the parts and after waiting a few weeks for the back order the bits arrived yesterday. Suzuki V-Strom donor knuckle guards anf fittings as per FJRTech.com farkle.

I spent half the day trying to figure out how it all fits. The only conclusion I can come to is - it DOESN'T, not even close. I studied and re-studied the instructions and pictures on the website. No use. At all. It won't fit. At least not on a 2002 UK spec bike.

It is possible, of course, I am a total idiot. I would like know if anyone else tried this farkle and should there be any differences in the models this information should be included in the farkle to save folk money.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Mark, they do indeed fit. Look closely at the pictures in this thread. The long hex bolt sits above the lever and uses the existing hole in this position. You have to remove the screw first with a flat head(?) screwdriver. Once in and bolted the handguard slips into place and is retained by the philips head screws. If the bolts will not fit, you may have the wrong suzuki part #'s.

http://st64.startlogic.com/~fjrforum/forum//index.php?showtopic=3782

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hand Guards

Did you order the part numbers specified in the farkel from FJRTech.com?
And your following the 'How to' instructions on FJRTech.com?
!00's of folks, myself included, have installed these.
DO NOT GET FRUSTRATED!
Do you know of someone near you, who has these?
Can you talk him into helping you?
Dont get pissed! It will work!

·
Registered
122 Posts
These part No are for the knuckle guards that don't wrap right around. ( V strom DL 1000, 2002 I think) Definately fit on the FJ. All part No below and quantiy is all that is required.

Part no’s for Suzuki V-strom knuckle guards

1 – 57541 – 06G00 - 019
1 – 57341 – 06G00 - 019
1 – 57431 – 06G00
1 – 57431 – 06G00
2 – 02142 - 06107
2 – 08319 - 21068
4 – 09160 - 06130

·
Registered
372 Posts
I love mine. Just got home from a cool ride, temp is about 8degrees C, did 235 km. No heated grips, summer deerskin gloves and the VStrom handguard. I leave them on all year 'round, keeps the bees off your hands too.
I read on the other board some guy tried to put his on upside down, did all sorts of dremeling to make them fit.
Rule one, Limit yourself to one beer :? when farkling.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I did this farkle before the FJRTech post and have loved it for cold weather riding. I haven't changed out the stock grips yet, but when I do I'll install heated grips and will really be roasting. Take care all!

·
Registered
124 Posts
Mark - where did you source the bits from? With rather cold mornings here in the UK I guess it's time I did something.

Regards,
Rich

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
OK....

back to the drawing board / garage this weekend. I got the parts exactly as detailed in the farkle FJRTech.com ordered by my local Suzuki dealer.

I figured out the bolt is used to replace the existing clutch lever retainer bolt but it wasn't long enough. But I need to check this over one more time and report back. Thanks for the encouragment. I appreciate it.

Sadly I know no-one locally who has the FJR much less the mod.

Seems I am more the idiot ..... :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Suzuki Handguards

Reading this thread and the continuing sagas on the US fjrforum, I'm really pleased I bought the BMW hand guards (which look identical)

Detailed instructions provided and much cheaper (surprisingly)

Paul
01 fjr
uk

·
Registered
149 Posts
Paul its good to hear there is an alternative

But details seem just a tad skimpy , I've lost track of how many different BMW models there are so which ones are we talking of and where are the details of fitting

Not complaining just interested as its my next farkle with winter roaring in at quite a speed (forecast for tonight -2 and I will be on the road tomorrow morning at 7.30 with 75 mile commute ahead of me )

So more info puuuulllleeeeeaaassssee

:lol:

·
Registered
18 Posts
Recently ordered the Vstrom bits from the local suzuki dealer. The total cost came to £47.87. Thats using the picking list from FJRtech.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Thanks to Paul for his off-line assistance.

Just ordered the R1150GS handguard kit from Motobins at £29.50.

Bonus 1:- As I was already ordering [yet another] pile of bits for my old BMW there are effectively no postage costs.

Bonus 2:- Looks a fairly simple fit as there's no pharting around with lever pivot bolts.

Bonus 3:- Should keep the rain out of the clutch lever switch so this time it might last more than 18 months without getting filled with krap.

·
Registered
149 Posts
The one thing I cant see and dont understand is how the other end of the hand guards is fitted

I know ,I know ,thick as 2 short planks thats me

If you can help paul it would be appreciated

·
Registered
25 Posts
BMW Hand Guards

Tonto

If you follow the link I provided and look at the second picture provided by Mike Carpenter, you will see the finished product.

The end wraps around the cables not the handlebars - that's why I used the following combination: plastic screw, handguard, nut,nut,guard,allen screw. The nuts prevent the cables being damaged.

In 10k miles I have had no problems

Paul
01 fjr
uk

·
Registered
149 Posts
OOHHH doh

Must be my monitor cant make that out but thanks I picked up the handguards on the way home last night and will hopefully be fitting them this weekend .
I need to my little pinkies are definitely feeling the -3 temp ,after an hour this morning I had lost the will to live and when the traffic slowed down I just kept going with my gloves frozen to the throttle . :roll:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Having used handlebar muffs for 5 years I have to say guards are not as warm, but remarkably waterproof.

The reason I changed from the muffs was that in times of high winds the muffs press on the levers and the flickering brake light confuses other drivers. Also, the most dangerous thing about muffs is that they can flick the kill switch - this has happened to me a number of times when turning at junctions - goodness knows how I managed to prevent the bike from falling over :?

So I now use guards, heated grips and Gerbing heated gloves (and socks!) 8)

Paul
01 fjr
uk

·
Registered
721 Posts
Paul, is it necessary to have both sets of bar ends on or can the OE ones be left off?

1 - 20 of 51 Posts