FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, remember me :) Sorry for being out of it, but between the hurricanes of '05 and the Medical Center duties ...... just a lot going on.

So, are you all sick of winter yet???

Anyone interested in a Key West trip on short notice ? How about the weekend of Feb. 17th in Key West Florida ?? It could be the second annual Key West FJR Love fest........REMEBER THE GREAT TIME WE ALL HAD:):)......and it all started from a small place called the Purple Pegasus (thank you Shannon).......

Key West is AWESOME for a nice mid-winter party everyone !!! And, they really, really need your tourist support after hurricane Wilma. Ann and I had to set up the emergency satellite communications for Key West after Wilma and it was bad down there. The storm surge (salt water), took out almost EVERY vehicle on the island, not to mention destroying many peoples homes. These facts did not make CNN and it was not a Katrina news event .......but for Key West it was devistating. It was so sad to see our favorite haunts destroyed. Ann and I were married in Key West and the restraunt where we had our "reception" (long story) was gone :(

But the main part of Duvall is okey dokey and they have recovered well.

Anyhow...........(getting off of the "poor Key West" soapbox)...........

KEY WEST IS WARM!!! Great diving, sailing, drinking , arts, warmth, drinking, blue ocean, good food, drinking, tanning, and of course..........an awesome ride through miles of blue ocean with beautiful Key West at the end.........and did I mention the bloody marys at Blue Heaven (they make them without Vodka too, and they are just as good !!).

So....when is the last time you did something REALLY spontaneous and dragged your FJR out from its winter garage.

Any takers?

Happy New Year to you all,

Craig and Ann

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Hey Boofer, welcome back 'cause we missed you. Glad to hear that there is a semblance of normality rerturning, and hope you get some takers for the get together.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Boofer, Good to hear from you. You're a month off for us. Wife and I have plans to ride down in March. We plan on spending 3 nights in Daytona, (trailer week) and going on to the Keys for another 3 nights, 12-14. I don't know about the tourist level? I do know I had a hard time finding a camp site to reserve. All the state sites are booked solid. Incidently, coming from Virginia takes a little more planing due to 4 days of travel, 2 down and 2 back.

John

·
Registered
192 Posts
Hey, when is bike week in daytona. Might be able to incorporate a ride to Key West at that time.

·
Registered
218 Posts
@ boofer - You're a few days out for us, as we'll don't land in Florida till Feb 25 and come back to the UK on March 18, we'd planned to visit Key West too as well as Bike Week and had hoped to be able to catch some of you somewhere, but never mind.

@ number2 - bike week dates are March 3rd - 12th.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Hey Craig -

Good to hear from you. Boy, do I ever remember the good time and ride we had last year. At least I think I remember 90% of it.
It's a hell of a party, I highly recommend to anyone who can make it.

Wish I could commit to the trip again this year but it does not look good. I have already committed to a 3000 mile trip a little later in the year and the schedule is filling up. Never say never though, and If I can make it, depending on when it takes place, I will.

I hope this will become an annual event and, if so, it will go on my calendar for next year, right now!

My best to you and Ann

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Howdy Bob,

We sure did have a hoot last year !! Key West was whacked pretty good with Wilma. They were flooded with storm surge. Ann and I went down after the storm and set up emergency satellite communications on the Navy Base Hospital. The 8 feet of saltwater took out almost every vehicle on the island and the poor Yamaha shop.....but they seem to have made a bit of a come back now. That salt water was very corrosive (especially to copper communications circuits).

Well, maybe we should meet down there in the bike week time frame. Not sure of how busy they (Key West) will be as everyone and their mother probably have the same idea :)

At a minimum, if a few of you head down this way Ann and I could tag along with you. Or you could stop by here in Miami and we could have a little FJR gathering at our place. We will take any excuse to head down to the Keys (about 4 hour ride from here)

Sounds like the Daytona week is the general preffered time for a South Florida run.

Anyone else heading down to Daytona (up for us !!).

Ann says hi Bob........hey, where ya goin on the 3000 mile trip. Ann has cleared me for a long run this year........(says it calms me down....go figure).

Boof

·
Registered
448 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
@kerry - would be happy to hook up with you if you would like. Heck, we can even head down to the Keys on a couple of my bikes (I'll take the Fazer1K and you can take the FJR because you just have to ride an FJR over here). It takes 4 hours to drive to Key West from Miami. 5

@FJR VFR - let me know your schedule. Maybe we could hook up.

Boof

·
Registered
103 Posts
Kerry -

If at all possible, hook up with Craig and Ann. You will not be disappointed. Great people.

Craig -

Every year, the guy's I rode with in NJ, take a 5-7 day trip to NH, VT and one year we slipped into Canada. Alway's father's day weekend. This year I am going to try and join them. I figure 2000 miles round trip to Jersey and another 800 or so north of Jersey. Not a very exciting trip till NY. Only one of the group knows I'm planning to attend. Going to be a surprise when I just show up. Interested? :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Hi All

I have been sort of reading this forum but haven't posted very much. I just thought I would pipe in here to say I won't be coming south this year.

It was a good time last year.... maybe again next year. Don't stop it because of me. LOL

·
Registered
143 Posts
Hey Boofer, We are leaving Daytona on the 12th and have a campground reserved at the KOA in Fiesta Key that night. We are staying 3 nights in all before heading back. If you think we'll be able to hook up just let me know. You can PM me with your cell phone number. I'll have mine with me during the trip.
Kerry, how about you?

·
Registered
218 Posts
@ boofer - the offer is very much appreciated, I'll have a word with him in doors and see what we can arrange, whether it be a ride somewhere or just a meet up, I'll be in touch.

@ rad - We've hooked up with a few US members on here before when we were out a few years ago at a meet in port orange and one at ponce inlet, sorry I can't remember specific names. Everyone made us feel more than welcome so I will make every effort to get to whatever is organised and meet anyone who is available within our 3 week vacation.

@ fjr vfr - Sounds like a plan to me, use let me know where, when and we'll be there. We've hired a villa in Davenport but will no doubt be in Daytona on numerous occasions as I'm looking forward to spending some $ in the stalls outside the speedway, we wanna catch Neil Hodgson racing too if poss and of course have a stroll up main street amongst other things which from experience we know will take more than one day trip from Davenport.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts