FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of fitting one of these, does it slot straight in with no further adjustments or is there any rejetting involved?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Not got one myself, but theres nothing special to fitting them, and the injection system will automatically adjust for it the changed air throughput.
Its a waste of time if you are only after increased performance though,as Joos has proved on the dyno that the air filter makes very little difference to the output.

Just like oil and tyres there has been a lot of previous discussion as to which air filter is best :roll: but in the end it boils down to what you are happy with.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks Marshman, I wasn't interested in a performance hike, the FJR is plenty fast enough as it is thanks, the price of a normal paper filter is about £18 and you have to change it every 12000 miles or 2 years I think, whereas the K&N is around £45 and it's guaranteed a million miles and you only have to touch it every 50000 miles, so it's purely down to cost and maintainance.

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
Coppertop,
The filter is a strait swap no trouble at all.

I only got one as it would work out cheaper in the long run and has paid for it's self now as the bike is almost 4 years old.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Yeah, but I've found that it pays to check it whenever you service the bike and have access. Be careful not to over oil it when you do clean it or you'll negate any air flow benefits.

I have one fitted because I expected the same smoothness improvements I got when I put one in my VFR. I didn't get it!

Also, the VFR folks have actually found cases where the BHP DROPS when a K&N is fitted. I don't pretend to understand why though.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Shakey said:
Also, the VFR folks have actually found cases where the BHP DROPS when a K&N is fitted. I don't pretend to understand why though.
According to every honest motorcycle tuner I've talked to... the air boxes on Jap bikes are so perfectly ported and balanced, all a K&N filter will do is damage that balance.

Ivan of Ivan's Performance Products in New York has tried everything to offer some air box improvements to FZ1s and Hyabusas, because it would be very profitable for him... but he has yet to improve on stock. (He did get some improvement with venting a Bandit intake.)

Ivan will you, in that thick Long Island drawl, he can strap an FZ1 to a dyno... run it, then drop in a K&N filter and show a 2 - 3 horsepower drop. Even with corrected jetting, it doesn't come back.

He gets big gains by altering compression with a different head gasket and exhaust - all with the stock air box. He's quite popular with the 'busa crowd, as he can get them 200 rear wheel horsepower with a simple head gasket and exhaust.

:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts