FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my hugger last week from freestreetdesign. The good news was that it is truly a quality part and the paint was really excellent. It matched my 2005 Galaxy Blue perfectly. The bad news is that it was damaged in shipment and was cracked on the bottom. I must say the shipping department needs some help with their packing. The hugger was just wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a box. I e-mailed the company, but received no reply for 4 days. Friday I contacted them again on their website and received a prompt reply from Franck. He said to ship it back to them (at my expense - $63.00 for USPS which was the cheapest) and they would replace or repair it. I shipped it back to them today. I'll post again how this turns out.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Just FINALY recieved my Hugger from them... and it's damaged in a big way! One of the mounting legs has snapped off clear up to the rounded fender part ! Packaging was piss poor. I talked with Frank last week about damage reports, so far three folks have recieved damaged huggers, 911 and I may be the fifth and sixth ??
I've E mailed them so I'll see what their response is, I don't think it's fair for you, Biker-911, to pay postage to return a part that was improperly packaged to begin with. I'll keep you all up to date on the results.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would have to agree with you on that, especially since the packing was so poor. Hopefully Franck will have a change of heart, especially since I'm not the only one who has had this problem. As I put in my post, the product was excellent....if I had only got it in one piece. I'll post again when I get mine back and let you know how this turns out. Stay tuned.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
biker_911 said:
Got my hugger last week from freestreetdesign. The good news was that it is truly a quality part and the paint was really excellent. It matched my 2005 Galaxy Blue perfectly. The bad news is that it was damaged in shipment and was cracked on the bottom. I must say the shipping department needs some help with their packing. The hugger was just wrapped in bubble wrap and put in a box. I e-mailed the company, but received no reply for 4 days. Friday I contacted them again on their website and received a prompt reply from Franck. He said to ship it back to them (at my expense - $63.00 for USPS which was the cheapest) and they would replace or repair it. I shipped it back to them today. I'll post again how this turns out.
I'd appreciate it if you could post a photo.

·
Registered
599 Posts
I received my FSD hugger late last week, but I've been too busy to try to fit it yet, but it looks undamaged.

If anyone has fitted theirs to a non-2006 FJR, do you have any recommendations on what size of screws to use to hold the hugger on, & will a normal metal drill be OK to drill the required hole in the swingarm ?

MTIA.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Mine did not fit, too short to screw the driving shaft bolt.

FSD told me to remove the tab, and use double face tape.

I do not want to do that, They will come out with a new version.

I asked them to replace it, still no answer.....

·
Registered
40 Posts
Got mine installed, paint is a perfect match but install was time consuming to get it correct. A little fileing on the tab that mounts to the swing arm so it would fit the bolt was required. Had to find a bolt to install on right side front mount. Swingarm mount stud...had to find washers to fill up the recess or fiberglass would have cracked.

For the money I would have thought they would provide a bolt ect for the right side and a different stud bolt combo for the swingarm mount. I don't like haveing to torque the nut against the fiberglass on the swingarm stud, have to find a better way.

Cary

·
Registered
40 Posts
I will take some pictures and post them on my site...may not be till tomorrow. Fit is fine..tight 3/8-1/2". I had to spread them at the mount points orthe fender will rub. Cable support on the right side swingarm that holds the cable tight which goes to the rear hub...don't know what the cable's for, has to stay on to keep outward pressure so it will pull the fender over to the right side to center the fender on the tire. Sorry I am not as eloquent as some here are :oops:
Pictures I hope will show what I am describing.

Cary

·
Registered
599 Posts
Thanks for the info guys, but did any of you drill the swingarm ? Apparently, the 2006 model has an extra hole, so drilling a small hole into it shouldn't be a big deal ??

Please post your pictures here too Caryt, as they will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks, Gainsy.

·
Registered
119 Posts
DO NOT DRILL YOUR SWINGARM

Now that I have your attention...
I know that motorcycles and bicycles are not the same. Different materials; construction techniques, etc. That said, the principles involved are the same. Force applied will be transferred along an until it finds something to move (the suspension, the rider, the bike). If you look at a bicycle's tubing, everywhere that there is a bolt into the frame, there is a fitting to reinforce the area to keep the force moving around the break in the surface.
Some folks back when I used to race road bikes decided thay wanted water bottles on their downtubes and/or seat tubes, but the fittings weren't there. Drill & tap in hand, they installed their own.
Universally, the frames failed shortly thereafter. Some more spectacularly than others depending on how closely/often the owner inspected his ride, and how big the pot hole was.
I know road racing bicycles are wimpy little things with the barest minimum of material, and the FJR is a whomping big beast designed to tour the world 2 up with luggage and liberal throttle application for years on end, and you'll probably be fine.
But why risk it? JB Weld a nut to the swingarm if you must, and thread into it.

Just my $.02

·
Registered
361 Posts
Wess..

Weld a nut to your swing-arm? are you for real? :shock:

Welding onto the swing-arm without any reverse heat treating is even worst than tapping a small hole into the bloody thing. When you weld you melt the alloy in order to flow it....with lots of heat. You will upset the alloys temper (hardness) and pretty well F*@k the thing without heat treating, quencing and aging the component back to it's original condition.

ever notice when you weld something....often after time your weld fails and cracks right next to the bead.....yeah?
The metal becomes very brittle and reliefs it's internal stresses (shrinkage) via a crack in the weakest spot.

I would drill and tap :wink:

my 2 cents worth...

·
Registered
40 Posts
Caryt said:
I will take some pictures and post them on my site...may not be till tomorrow. Fit is fine..tight 3/8-1/2". I had to spread them at the mount points orthe fender will rub. Cable support on the right side swingarm that holds the cable tight which goes to the rear hub...don't know what the cable's for, has to stay on to keep outward pressure so it will pull the fender over to the right side to center the fender on the tire. Sorry I am not as eloquent as some here are :oops:
Pictures I hope will show what I am describing.

Cary
Here is a link to my pictures http://community.webshots.com/user/carytowery

·
Registered
76 Posts
moose said:
Wess..

Weld a nut to your swing-arm? are you for real? :shock:

Welding onto the swing-arm without any reverse heat treating is even worst than tapping a small hole into the bloody thing. When you weld you melt the alloy in order to flow it....with lots of heat. You will upset the alloys temper (hardness) and pretty well F*@k the thing without heat treating, quencing and aging the component back to it's original condition.

ever notice when you weld something....often after time your weld fails and cracks right next to the bead.....yeah?
The metal becomes very brittle and reliefs it's internal stresses (shrinkage) via a crack in the weakest spot.

I would drill and tap :wink:

my 2 cents worth...
I think Wess was talking about JB Weld not an actual weld.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Weld a nut to your swing-arm? are you for real?
Oh gods no! Not weld as in arc or torch!
JB Weld is the brand name of a common two part epoxy compound. Applying heat to a swingarm would indeed be much worse than drilling it...

·
Registered
599 Posts
@ Caryt.

Thanks for posting the photos. Can you confirm that your bike is a 2006 model - I haven't seen one in these colours in the flesh yet, but your seat looks like a 2006. Have FSD made a different hugger for the 2006 model - I thought that that was coming later, depending on the success of the earlier model ?

Cheers, Gainsi

·
Registered
189 Posts
Its a 2006 and the hugger was ordered for it, they said its for it

Cary
I received my 2006 Hugger a couple of weeks ago. I am having to modify mine. Your photos show a nice clean fit at the shaft/axle nut. Mine is about an inch past the end of the stud. They also told me "cut it off and use double sided tape"???? :? ????

1 - 20 of 33 Posts