FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, after about a 6 or 8 week hibernation, I figure it is time to roust Chloe (aka 2003 FJR) out of her sleep for a quick 100 miles or so. Be aware the entire time ol' Chloe is hooked up to a bettery tender just sleeping peacefully in the garage. Key on, hit the switch...you think the bitch would just fire right up?? No way!!!! About 10 minutes of playing with the throttle, probably at one time flooding her and runing the battery to critical low, she fires. Runs great thereafter.

OK...I'll give. I know FJRs don't like to crank up with a minimal battery, but the green light on the Battery Tender was a constant for weeks. Anyone out there have a good guess on this one??

·
Registered
8 Posts
Sorry to hear this!! Like you I bought a Battery Tender to cure a no starting issue after the FJR sat for 4 weeks. So far, Knock on wood, mine's been alright, but you've given me pause to worry.
Jim

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Did you mix a fuel stablizer into the gas and run it for about 10 minutes before parking it? What you had may have been fuel starvation from the bits being gunked up.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
No..it was fresh gas....and judging from the smells I was getting during attempts to start it, I'll surmise there was a good fuel flow.

·
Super Moderator
3,958 Posts
Ya got me then. I know current fuel mixes go bad a lot faster than they used to. I've been a month of two without starting mine and, by keeping it on the Battery Tender Plus, it's always started easily.

Based on the way I read your description it had plenty of power at first until you ran the battery down trying to start it. That sounds like it's not the battery but one of the other two legs of the motor tripod (air or fuel).

How many miles on your plugs? Air filter?

--edit addition--
1. "new" gas is relative. was it new when you parked it (2 months old)? if so, it may have been a contributor.

2. plugs: unless they're iridium they are due for a change. if oem types, then they were due for nearly their second change in that time. with current efi systems "reading a plug" is pretty useless as the computer hides a plethora of sins.

3. with an efi system, there's seldom a need to "give it some gas" when starting. it should take care of all that automatically. blipping the throttle might (on some systems) flood the bike which sounds like some of what you described.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
15k on both. You're correct about the power...seems to have had a goodly amount from the get-go and although I was beginning to run it somewhat puny toward the end...it still kept spinning.

·
Registered
177 Posts
IMHO the FJR original Gel Battery is the most unreliable aspect of the bike. I got mine changed under warranty for a lead acid one, what a difference. The Gel Battery would not take a few weeks of sitting idle, where the lead acid one would, no problem.
A brand new bike, get your kit on on a Sunday morn, damn thing would not start, not a great start to the day. This happened at least 8 times in 2 & 1/2 years. Since invested in a battery tender for the new bike, but still makes the FJR the most unreliable vehicle I've ever owned (sadly)
I'm sure the battery is under size and designed to 'fit the space' under the fairing, just makes it a pain in the ass to jump start or charge if no permanent charging solution is fitted to the bike, having to remove two fairing panels just to get to it, is just bad design.
I ended up fitting a cigar lighter socket wired direct to the battery and plugging in my battery tender every time I came home.

Malki

·
Registered
27 Posts
The battery on my FJR is shafted, was on the way out when I got the bike a month or two back, now its just a joke.

Any pointers on the best replacement? (Make model etc)
Going to invest in a decent one and an Optimate III

You are right about the placement of the battery, complete nightmare. Had to jump start the bike in the car park on Sunday, omg what a kerfuffle...

·
Registered
177 Posts
@ innominate
Not sure where you are, but my mate runs a motorcycle service/tyre workshop and recommends http://www.detabatteries.co.uk
Replace your Gel Cell with a lead/acid one.
He says he's been selling them for a few years and not one complaint so far. I can't remember which make the dealer replaced my original with, think it might have been Yuasa, but was definately better than orginal.

Optimate III is the bees knees.

Malki

·
Registered
47 Posts
If you suspect flooding on any FI equipped vehicle, do not keep cycling the key when attempting to start, this will keep cycling the fuel pump and keep the rail pressurized. Crank it, and if it doesn't light off and you smell gas, leave the key on, use full throttle, and crank. This will eliminate a flooding condition.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yeah..only way it fired was to hang the throttle open and wail on the starter. Took a soild 10 seconds or so, but catch on Chloe did...amidst a plume of smoke out of each Staintune...fine after that.

Probably should do the plugs...going to replace the stock element with a K&N as well. I don't think they offer up any significant performance increase, but they sure make service easier. :wink:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts