FJR Owners Forum banner

Joos and Jake - bow and exit stage left...

29K views 38 replies 30 participants last post by  Liquidsilver 
#1 ·
Hi all,

It is an age since I have been on the site, but Jake (Mrs Jooshead - for those who don't know) has been doing a sterling job with keeping the hosting of FJROwners going and getting enough income to allow us to break even on the hosting (mostly).

I set up this site in 2001 - as an FJR Owner who wanted a place for owners of what is still, to my mind, the best sport touring bike there is. The fact that all the imitators are so clearly just that, is testimony to how right Yamaha got this bike in the first place. Admittedly having to sell mine was heartbreaking, and ultimately meant that I did not stay an active part of the site. I have met many of you in my travels and at various meets and FJR Owners are good folks. My trip to the West Coast and riding with all those guys and gals who made me so massively welcome is still a very dear memory. So for this reason and while we had the managed server available to us, we decided that it made sense to keep the site running for as long as we could.

Anyway - here is the rub.... without boring you with the details - we were recently approached by and have sold FJROwners.com to Motorcycle.com - they own/run the www.motorcycle.com website, along with several other power sports and automotive related websites. They are biking people who run forums, and that has to be a pretty good start!

We felt they would be able to add value to the site that, for various reasons we simply cannot. Please be in no doubt we thought long and hard about what was best for the site and its members. Being paid something for the site after 10 years work is nice, but it was not the deciding factor. We know firsthand that having the right technical people, time and money to invest is a rare thing in websites, particularly a very niche bike forum. Finding an organisation at the right time that had these and would allow the site to stay alive and progress was a rare thing.

They have been honest to deal with and genuinely concerned about finding out what you / the site needs to keep the membership interested and keep FJROwners.com a great place to come and be. That includes upgrades, easier membership access and better security to try and keep the SPAM at bay.

The sale is complete and you are actually viewing this on their server now.

They will be along shortly to introduce themselves, liaise with the moderators and give you lines of communication so you can get in touch with them. The main new technical contact will be a guy called Dwayn who will be using the handle "administrator". He will be monitoring everything moving forward.

Jake and I would like to say a special thanks to all the moderators and all the long term members. You all know who they are and what they have done so I'll not labour the point. I hope they will feel this is a sensible move and will want to continue being the life blood of the site and see it through to the next stage in its evolution.

If you want to get in touch with me, you may still do so through the site, I am still a moderator and will keep an active watch during this transition period.

All the best - and ride safe.

Jooshead and Jake.

See less See more
#28 ·
Joos,
Haven't been here as much as I'd like (life gettin' in the way you know) but I'm taking this chance to thank you for a great site. This site was instrumental (I joined in early 2002 if I remember right) in getting me to know the FJR and to meet many great peeps from all over the States, many of whom are close friends now :D
Was also a pleasure to meet yourself on that foggy day in January '03 in Healdsburg, CA :D
Cheers mate, and take care
Rog n Deb

#30 ·
All the best to you both...

I've spent the last month at sea searching the web for all things FJR while eagerly waiting to get home & get my first FJR.

This is the best site I've found.

Thanks for setting it up.

(And now I get why Dwayn activated my membership).

#31 ·
Good luck Joos and Jake , you both have been wonderful hosts. But as they say, the wheels of the bus go round and round and round........such as life. Its been a pleasure to be a part of your idea.

Change is not bad and welcome to the Toronto admin !! My wife is actually from London ON !!

#35 ·
Wow, being a new member here in 2020 I just ran across this and wanted to thank Joos and Jake. Not sure if you both are still around but I think you would be proud. Everyone is more than helpful and at the same time not afraid to point out my Squid tendencies!!! Which is also more than helpful!!. Talk about a thread bump, 7 years!!

#36 ·
I bought my first FJR in 2001, and joined this forum soon thereafter. I have been a member ever since, and have owned 6 FJR's, all new, but I have now changed to Super Tenere's, which are really just an off road FJR, I'm on my second S10.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.