FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
141 - 160 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
2014 ES
1,614 Posts
Oh, it will. Maybe they'll find it. It was shipped "signature required" and insured. I need to call Ivan this afternoon and give him a heads up.
In all my years in dealing with Fed-Ex. They always say it is "in transit" or "lost" when it doesn't arrive at the time it was promised. It is good Ivan asks that you insure it for high $'s, so if it is lost you'll get back monies to buy a new. I can only speculate that it was accidentally misrouted and in a transit loop until they find it. Good luck, and make sure you stay on them about a timeframe, they will try to delay as long as possible before paying the lost fee.

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
In all my years in dealing with Fed-Ex. They always say it is "in transit" or "lost" when it doesn't arrive at the time it was promised. It is good Ivan asks that you insure it for high $'s, so if it is lost you'll get back monies to buy a new. I can only speculate that it was accidentally misrouted and in a transit loop until they find it. Good luck, and make sure you stay on them about a timeframe, they will try to delay as long as possible before paying the lost fee.
I've heard for 20+ years on the ZRX forum what a class guy Ivan is and how well he takes care of his customers.

He called yesterday and told me he has bought another ECU and will flash it as soon as it's in his hands and get it to me. He'll deal with FedEx.

Ed

·
Registered
22 Posts
As near as I can tell if you don't like your performance after the flash you can just send your ECU back for conversion back to stock and just pay for return shipping back to you. That's all well and good but nowhere can I find a statement that you get your $350 back.
Of course, you sent Ivan a note and asked him for more info on the return + refund, right? :razz:

IMHO, the bike doesn't need more hp or torque but a smooth, responsive throttle is worth a million bucks.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Chuckle, there James, whenever I've talked to Ivan I can't get him to hang up! He only answers the phone between 11 and 2 I think..... busy guy. But I will say with my '07 I'd have welcomed that flash instead of all the other things we had to do... with a '10 the fueling was all sorted out mostly, so if you don't feel you need it, save yer money, I thought those ran not to bad at all. I rode a friend's '10 and he asked back then if I thought it needed a power commander, etc.... I didn't think so, ran way better than my '07.

Reactions: dcumpian and 2GENAE

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
Well, yes. I did call Ivan with some questions and he pretty much told me that he is pretty busy and doesn't respond to e-mails or, worse yet texts. He didn't want to spend much time with me at all so I said "good bye". I never got a chance to discuss much of anything with him and that's fine. He did say his wife responds to texts but not him so I told him not to worry about texts because i don't even own a smart phone. I got the feeling he was having a bad day which is OK as everyone has one of those now and then. I have to admit that this brief discussion didn't make me feel all warm and or fuzzy inside and I would be hesitant to invest $350 with him. All this said it's not the reason why I decided to opt out of his ECU flash. I wish Ivan well and I don't feel offended in any way.
LOL...

If you called him recently you might have caught him when he was having it out with FedEx about a claim for the ECU for my bike which they rather inconveniently lost. :serious:

Rather than keep me waiting he replaced it with another unit within a couple of days, flashed that one, and got it to me.

I do understand your thoughts. I've held off since this thread started saying that it wasn't worth $350 just, in my case, to defeat the 82 mph cruise control limit. I reasoned that my bike ran fine, but I've started touring by myself more, and the limit has become more inconvenient. I've had it installed for some time now, but I haven't ridden the bike yet for reasons I won't bother with. I'm eager to give it a try, though.

Like Ray, I've had trouble getting him to shut up. LOL

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Reactions: 2GENAE

·
Registered
10 Posts
James, he only just developed the Gen2 reflash, like in the last month or so....
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/9-fjr-technical/149280-ivans-ecu-flash-genii.html

I'd love to ride Nikkofjr's bike for a half hour just to compare to the Gen3 flash.....
This is correct Ray.... it's brand new, just released.

It feels just like the Gen 3 flash...alive and smooth....Everybody wants a smooth throttle that isn't jerky with less heat and vibration.
Just that the Gen2 bike makes a little less power than the Gen 3. :wink2:

There were a few that came in last week... I'm sure they will post their opinions and experiences somewhere.
It's brand new and we're just coming out of winter.

Ivan

·
Registered
67 Posts
Of course, you sent Ivan a note and asked him for more info on the return + refund, right? :razz:

IMHO, the bike doesn't need more hp or torque but a smooth, responsive throttle is worth a million bucks.
That's exactly why I *did* the flash. It makes the bike a very different beast. The advancement of the timing makes a difference in feel as well, especially in the low RPMs.

Dan

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
Imho,,,, there is nothing that isn’t “better” with more hp and torque ! I realize that Ivan’s reflash doesn’t give you a lot more but even the modest 10hp or so is pretty significant on a bike,,,,, might even make a root beer brown bike owner have delusions that it’s faster than a fastest color red,,,, just sayin ! ��

The real benefit in the Ivan’s flash is improving & smoothing the throttle response making it even more effortless and smoother than it already is. Personally, I’m still on the fence for doing mine but since I have the Delkevic 18” carbon cans & K&N filter I could theoretically get the most benefit from a reflash but my 14a is awful nice as is, no complaints.

·
Registered
3,744 Posts
James, the good thing about this forum is that we all have opinions and are free to hopefully express w/o retribution, I hope. Anyway the bike manufacturers produce a lot of 180 to 200+ Hpwer bikes that are a lot lighter than the fjr and really find it interesting that they sell a lot of tuners and reflash’s for-them.

I have a friend that has a Kawasaki zx14 that he put a programmer in and then took it somewhere to be tuned up to 205 rwhp and I’d bet he never opened the throttle when it was pure stock but he likes to brag about it and show off the dyno sheets, he rides it like a granny but wants more yet,,,,,,different strokes as they say.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
The dyno thing is for the tuner types... the real gain is smoother throttle response, getting rid of the fuel cut at zero throttle, etc. Fergedabout the horsepower, means so little....

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
The dyno thing is for the tuner types... the real gain is smoother throttle response, getting rid of the fuel cut at zero throttle, etc. Fergedabout the horsepower, means so little....
I agree totally. Fractions of seconds in quarter-mile times is virtually meaningless on public roads.

·
Registered
10 Posts
The sad thing about dyno charts for this bike is that they only show full throttle.

Anything less than full throttle operation and the FJR is is a completely different bike.

I have attitudes with some people for a reason... Disrespect is a big one with me... I usually take the high road when it comes to things like this.

Don't ever PM me with inference that I sell things that don't work, or have some sort of business ethic problem, and expect a good outcome and then call on the phone with a worse attitude than the PM !!

Ask direct questions.... and get direct answers.... that are to the point, and about the product being questioned.
Be respectful and I'll give you the shirt off my back... act like an ass, and you'll get what you deserve..:wink2:

Ivan

Morning Ivan,
I'm wondering if your gen2 ECU flash would address a couple of my issues with my 2010 1300A model. I acquired the bike in '16 and at that time it had about 950 original miles on the ODO and now has 12K miles so pretty new. My issue originally was a choppy kind of surging idle and similar performance when riding slow in town, just not as smooth as I would like it. Wasn't long before I found out about the ECU connector mod which allowed access to the CO settings. At present I've have all 4 CO settings at +20 which does result in a smoother idle and does help slightly with slow speed around town riding. Still room for improvement however. Would your ECU programming mod help with this condition?

I also own a pristine low miles '93 BMW R1100RSL which was a big time surger. I completely fixed it by installing an Innovate Motor sports wideband O2 sensor with an LC2 controller ECU interface. I just plug my laptop into the LC2 and program virtually any closed loop AFR I want. The bike runs beautifully with an AFR of 13.7:1 I also updated the fuel injectors from Bosch EV1 to EV14 which also helped. I tell you this so that you can see I'm really into performance mods that work.

Thanks for your time.

James - Florence, OR

·
Registered
603 Posts
Hi Ivan,
I'm sorry we got off on the wrong foot with each other. I at no point was trying to infer that you might not know what you are doing and I was only trying to tell you that I've had some experience when it comes to problem solving so that you might be more comfortable in communicating with me because I was really interested in learning more about your product just for my own knowledge.

It's really a shame this happened and it sounds like our relationship is beyond repair and maybe I'm the loser here. At any rate I wish you all the best and again I apologize for causing you grief and it for sure wasn't my intent. Your post explains why you came across as a bit short with me on the phone. I really couldn't figure that out but now it's clear to me.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Just got the flashed ecu back in my 2018 model. Love being able to use the cruise control at 19mph in 2nd gear. We have some very low speed, incredibly beautiful coastal roads and the cruise control helps me relax and enjoy the views. The exhaust popping/burble is gone and the 17" Delkevics like the tune very much. The bike did feel like it was running cooler and the acceleration is just as or more spectacular than before. The throttle take-up off closed is significantly improved. Everything advertised was delivered. Thanks Ivan!

141 - 160 of 200 Posts