FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
181 - 200 of 200 Posts

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Ladies and gentlemen the verdict is in. It can be summed up in one word, WOW. What a difference Ivan's flash has made in this bike. It does everything that he claims it will do. Smoother shifting, no fuel cut and much crisper in the entire RPM range. When you blip the throttle while down shifting, it's very predictable and precise. When you go to pick up the throttle halfway through a hard corner when you're leaned over, there's no longer a very uncomfortable moment while you're waiting for the throttle to come in. With the fuel cut disabled that transition is now like a volume control instead of an on-off switch, very smooth. Well done Ivan, well done!

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
You should put your bike in your profile...... to confirm, is this a Gen3?

·
Registered
531 Posts
How well does the bike respond with Ivan's mod using regular gas? Consideing the fuel premium these days I'd want to keep using regular as real high octane is hard to get in southern Ontario with all fuel blends running through one nozzle.

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I thought that was a downside of the flash, that you had to run premium or 89 at least.

I'm surprised the flash made that much of an improvement. Was this after the 1st or 2nd recall flash by the dealer?

I really don't see any fueling/throttle issues with my Gen 3. Rideability is excellent.

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
How well does the bike respond with Ivan's mod using regular gas? Consideing the fuel premium these days I'd want to keep using regular as real high octane is hard to get in southern Ontario with all fuel blends running through one nozzle.
Mine's a '13, and I got the flash done to fix the cruise control. I haven't actually noticed a huge improvement and wonder, like Whooshka, if the flash was done on that '16 after the 6-speed recall where they diddled with the ECU.

To answer the question by Mikester, I run 89 if it's available at the pump I stop at. If not, it gets 87. I've run several tanks of 87 in a row, and I can't tell the difference. The difference in price around here, though, is roughly $.30, though I have seen as high as a dollar in my travels (I passed on that one ;) ). Considering that I'll use less than 300 gallons a year (12,000 miles / 45 mpg) it just doesn't matter, so I'll buy 89 when available. The bikes at 108,000 miles, 28,000 since the flash, with no signs of problems.

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I just run 89 or higher. This is the spec from Ivan which is based on the additional advance he has dialed in. It's well worth it!

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I thought that was a downside of the flash, that you had to run premium or 89 at least.

I'm surprised the flash made that much of an improvement. Was this after the 1st or 2nd recall flash by the dealer?

I really don't see any fueling/throttle issues with my Gen 3. Rideability is excellent.
It has made a big difference in the overall experience. Throttle feedback is now what I would expect from a well tuned, corner carving high performance bike. The additional adjustments have really enhanced an already exciting engine. Ivan has put together a package that "releases the hounds"!

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
Shifter, what year is your FJR?

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
Just being curious if Ivan may have fixed something the 6-speed recall did.
I never asked him that specifically, but I do know he changed the ignition timing curve with the emphasis on safely restoring the unused potential in the entire RPM range and each gear. This is why he recommends 89 or higher octane. I'm very pleased with the overall effect his product provides. When you consider what owners are willing to spend on other upgrades, the cost/benefit ratio of this farkle is hard to beat!!! Consider this, an Aeroflow X-Tall windscreen (I have one) is $299 +shipping and it's just a frickin piece of plastic. I can't wait for Spring!!!!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
2,767 Posts
I never asked him that specifically, but I do know he changed the ignition timing curve with the emphasis on safely restoring the unused potential in the entire RPM range and each gear. This is why he recommends 89 or higher octane. I'm very pleased with the overall effect his product provides. When you consider what owners are willing to spend on other upgrades, the cost/benefit ratio of this farkle is hard to beat!!! Consider this, an Aeroflow X-Tall windscreen (I have one) is $299 +shipping and it's just a frickin piece of plastic. I can't wait for Spring!!!!!!!!!!!
I understand you. I paid for the recall for the cruise control fix alone. ;)

I don't know how it's done for sure, but I suspected, as I think Whooshka might, that he makes a profile that's simply copied to the ECU, and it would be from a six-speed ECU file created before Yamaha's "fixes."

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
I understand you. I paid for the recall for the cruise control fix alone. ;)

I don't know how it's done for sure, but I suspected, as I think Whooshka might, that he makes a profile that's simply copied to the ECU, and it would be from a six-speed ECU file created before Yamaha's "fixes."
I am fairly sure Ivan goes well beyond the stock profile. This is why higher octane is required. Manufacturers are generally conservative with their timing curve for emission requirements or being able to sell the product as Regular fueled.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
If you did not get the second reflash after the Yammy recall, ask Ivan if the original concern still exists in the ECU.... you can verify by slipping the clutch (or pulling the lever until the clutch switch clicks) and trying to rev it beyond 3500-4000 while moving say in second gear.....

·
Premium Member
197 Posts
If you did not get the second reflash after the Yammy recall, ask Ivan if the original concern still exists in the ECU.... you can verify by slipping the clutch (or pulling the lever until the clutch switch clicks) and trying to rev it beyond 3500-4000 while moving say in second gear.....
I did get the second reflash.

·
Registered
209 Posts
Interesting. Perhaps your '16 was worse than most. I have Ivan's flash on my '13 and while it is an improvement over stock, to me it's not that big an improvement.

Reactions: Whooshka
181 - 200 of 200 Posts