FJR Owners Forum banner

Ivan's Gen III flash is done

63K views 200 replies 46 participants last post by  shifterkart26 
#1 ·
Discussion starter · #6 ·
Yup! Those charts have me convinced!
Yamaha did an excellent job!

Just think with loud pipes, a dirt-passing air filter, more expensive fuel, and $350 I can go from 130 HP to 140 HP!

If 7% mattered then I would have bought an FJR1500. Or a Kawasaki ZX-14R.
I expected that, and plenty more from others. There's a lot more to it that HP, but I guess some of us are more in tune with what the bike is doing than others.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
We know the Gen1/2's needed help, particularly prior to '08. Gen3 13-15, I'm not seeing a problem, what are we trying to solve there. Gen3 '16 up, I imagine there were some firmware adjustments by Yamaha, we've heard they aren't as snappy as prior... how much of that is due to the 6 speed and the gear ratio changes, not sure. I'll try to ride one to see what all the fuss is about. As far as driveablility, which I interpret as smoothness mostly, where is there an issue with any Gen3? Would not any fuel mapping changes result in more fuel being consumed? Having to go premium fuel for that AND spend $350..... hmmm.

So, it's going to take somebody to explain their issues with Gen3 and spend the bucks and tell us what it solved for the money.
Have you ridden a 2016? This was the first year for Euro 4, and forced Yamaha to lean out the mixture even more. It feel like you are always one gear too high despite 3rd being the same, and 4th and 5th actually being shorter. Maybe it's the altitude, maybe not, but I'm the type of rider that likes my bike to be the best it can be. Not a chance that's the case with the EPA up Yamaha's ass. My 2008, 2010 and 2015 did not feel as lean as my 2016.

I also hate that spongy throttle and the low rpm power restrictions, which i also to curb emissions. I'm not trying to fix anything the bike is great, but I want it better. If great us good enough for you and other that's fine. But I want it to be even better, pretty simple.

Discussion starter · #28 ·
Ditch, haven't ridden a '16 as I mentioned, will try to. If I understand your "issues" correctly, then kinda glad I don't have a Euro4 bike. Give a Gen3 '13-'15 a spin if you can, would be interesting to know what you think of that.
I had a 2015 for about 200 miles, it was the one with the weird steering problem and I don't remember it being like my 2016, so I doubt I would have flashed it.

I talked to him today, he's been working on this for almost 3 years and it way more complicated than the well reviewed C14 flash. I sent it out today I'll report back when I ride it. He also said the 1st and 2nd gen owners will be very pleased as well.

Discussion starter · #51 ·
I just burned through a tank of 87 (I live above 5800ft and Ivan said it shouldn't be a problem but he can't guarantee anything) and all my expectations have been met. I like to ride at low RPM so I will probably like it more than other types of riders but for me this bike is now perfect. YMMV. PM me if you have any questions, the rest of my bike is stock, not pipes.

Worth every penny of my money, but I spare no expense on the things that I love so again, YMMV.

Discussion starter · #53 · (Edited)
So what does the new 3rd "blank" mode do ? Glad you're happy with it, it'd Be nice if you guys would post your thoughts and results periodically, like if you actually gained any mpg's.
Ivan said it's his personal map with linear throttle input but that's about all I know, otherwise you still have Yamaha telling you how much throttle (or lack thereof) you should have, from my understanding. I'm sure he could explain it better. The blank mode does seem to be my favorite.

I'll also second the smoother shifting and for me it's easier to manage below 5mph when modulating the clutch, especially while turning, parking lot stuff. I'm pretty much convinced now RBW is an emission control device touted as a "feature" although we couldn't have CC without it so it does have that going for it.

Discussion starter · #58 ·
I'm getting more and more interested in getting that tune. Coming from a carbureted bike (Kaw C10) the on/off throttle jerkiness, especially in low gears, was the most annoying thing in the FJR. Sounds like it fixes this issue quite nicely.
Ivan's website mentions that o2 sensor can be disconnected.. anyone knows why it no longer needs the input from it? Also, came across someone on the web (not for the FJR, some other bike) mentioning that the warm-up idle behaves funny after this flash.. either idles at high RPMs or the RPM bounces up and down, and speculated that it can be due to taking o2 sensor out of the equation. Anyone noticed anything like that?
Yes it idles at 2000rpm for a bit depending on how cold it it, no idea why in the world he needed to do that and it's just making a bunch of noise but I'm sure he had a reason. The O2 sensor disconnect is probably for certain exhaust options but that's just a guess.

If you are just looking to smooth out that low rpm smoothness I'm not sure you'll find it with this flash. Much easier to just switch to touring mode for free. It's more about making the RBW feel like a Gen II without the excessive snatch. That and removing the EPA power restrictions, it definitely gets up and goes better off the line and low rpm throttle opening are much more fun.

Best thing I can say about it is 6th gear now feels like a 6th gear, not 7th. I used to think it was over-geared but it was just the emissions control bs choking the bike. I live at altitude though so keep that in mind too, when I rode the stock bike down to 3500ft it wasn't nearly as much of a problem.

Discussion starter · #62 ·
I idles like normal after 15 seconds or so. Will be 30 this winter.

I'm not worried about the warranty either, if something goes wrong they aren't going to check the ECU for the Ivan's serial number mod.

Also, if you were to use 87 octane at 1000ft you could certainly damage the engine. Elevation and detonation are close neighbors

Discussion starter · #94 ·
For anyone thinking about this, the high idle for start-up is getting incredibly annoying. Mine is shooting up to 3750rpm the instant it fires up and staying there for 30 seconds. Might be the altitude making it worse, but ask him to leave that out of your flash, no way that's good for the engine.

Discussion starter · #170 ·
Just don't forget to send in the form from his site. I forgot and it caused a delay.

I never understood why he makes it cold idle so high. Mine would jump to 4000 on a cold morning. No way that's good for it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.