FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 200 Posts

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Yup! Those charts have me convinced!
Yamaha did an excellent job!

Just think with loud pipes, a dirt-passing air filter, more expensive fuel, and $350 I can go from 130 HP to 140 HP!

If 7% mattered then I would have bought an FJR1500. Or a Kawasaki ZX-14R.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Well, if I could get 50 mpg, less vibration, less jerkiness, cooler running, I would find a way to buy the dang thing and put the 89 octane in it. I am eagerly awaiting the Gen. 2 one to come out and for several of you to buy it and test it out. LOL

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Just think with loud pipes, a dirt-passing air filter, more expensive fuel, and $350 I can go from 130 HP to 140 HP!

I expected that, and plenty more from others. There's a lot more to it that HP, but I guess some of us are more in tune with what the bike is doing than others.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
Well, if I could get 50 mpg, less vibration, less jerkiness, cooler running, I would find a way to buy the dang thing and put the 89 octane in it. I am eagerly awaiting the Gen. 2 one to come out and for several of you to buy it and test it out. LOL
I get 50 MPG.
Guess it is cooler and less vibration, no other FJR to compare to.
Is certainly not jerky. Certainly not like an early FI BMW.
On 87 octane.
Box stock 2016.

Reactions: Barry58

·
Registered
1,680 Posts

The K&N did not add any HP. There are many applications where the OE filter is easier to tune or just makes more power.

This proves(if Ivan is proof of anything) what has been stated for many years. There is no power corked in the FJR. It could drive better for sure and that alone might justify the $350.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
The K&N did not add any HP. There are many applications where the OE filter is easier to tune or just makes more power.

This proves(if Ivan is proof of anything) what has been stated for many years. There is no power corked in the FJR. It could drive better for sure and that alone might justify the $350.
I went back to the stock air filter, after many years with a K n N. Just got tired of washing the dang thing out and reoiling it. Just seemed easier to buy a filter and stick it in there now and then. So unlike me to spend money. LOL {did I mention I ran out of K n N filter oil and cleaning fluid and it was cheaper to buy a stock filter in the "short run"}

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
I went back to the stock air filter, after many years with a K n N. Just got tired of washing the dang thing out and reoiling it. Just seemed easier to buy a filter and stick it in there now and then. So unlike me to spend money. LOL {did I mention I ran out of K n N filter oil and cleaning fluid and it was cheaper to buy a stock filter in the "short run"}
General rule of thumb: you have to wash and re-oil a K&N 5 times to break even, assuming your time and labor is not worth anything.

HiFloFiltro air filter $19.
K&N air filter, $68, cleaning kit $15.

If the cleaning kit can service the filter 4 times then K&N costs less than (5) HiFloFiltro. Assuming same service interval I got 30,000 out of my original filter. Changed it out of boredom, didn't really need it. But had I bought a K&N I wouldn't break even until 180,000 miles.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
What charts? I clicked on everything that I could find. No charts.

Anyway, the extra 10 hp is worth less to me that being able to use the 85 octane gas I find out West.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Peak horsepower isn't everything..... I bet the increase in overall throttle response/smoothness is really where the improvement lies. Unfortunately I don't think a graph can convey that too well.

In the end I think it makes a pretty good bike a little bit better overall. Personally a big factor for getting the FJR was that it runs on 87 octane so unless it really made a night/day difference I'll just keep enjoying the fact that I can put the cheaper gas in every time I fill up.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts
What charts? I clicked on everything that I could find. No charts.

Anyway, the extra 10 hp is worth less to me that being able to use the 85 octane gas I find out West.
5 dyno plots at bottom of link in the original post.

·
Premium Member
4,218 Posts
Found them. I didn't scroll down far enough.

I haven't noticed any driveability problems. It's already nearly twice as powerful as my old bike, a GPz750. And I like being able to feed it 85 octane gas in a pinch.

It's not like a Harley where it is Very easy to find bolt-on power.

·
Registered
123 Posts
With a 10.8:1 compression ratio, I doubt the ECU tuning would rule out the use of regular gas. There are some minor low speed drivability quirks that could be improved on, but the most interesting change to me is the change in fan operating temperature. It's hot here and having the fan come on sooner would be great. I don't want to void the extended warranty though. After the YES runs out, maybe.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Fund them. I didn't scroll down far enough.

I haven't noticed any driveability problems. It's already nearly twice as powerful as my old bike, a GPz750. And I like being able to feed it 85 octane gas in a pinch.

It's not like a Harley where it is Very easy to find bolt-on power.
HD engineers their bikes to accept bolt on power upgrades. Thats how they make their money. Stage 1,2,3,4 upgrades that cost literally thousands of dollars and the bike is still a hot mess after the upgrades, literally a hot mess as it BBQs you at stoplights. You feed the HD 91 octane all day long, because it requires it, and they still knock, a lot. I owned one and sunk boat loads of money into it to get it to run as it should, and after 7 years, I had enough. Ive owned the FJR for almost a year now, and have no desire to go back to HD.

·
Registered
3,916 Posts
Peak horsepower isn't everything..... I bet the increase in overall throttle response/smoothness is really where the improvement lies. Unfortunately I don't think a graph can convey that too well.

In the end I think it makes a pretty good bike a little bit better overall. Personally a big factor for getting the FJR was that it runs on 87 octane so unless it really made a night/day difference I'll just keep enjoying the fact that I can put the cheaper gas in every time I fill up.
For those of us who have 06-07 fjr's with the on/off throttle problems, who have spent much time and money and energy on different throttles, PC 3's and 5's and etc. etc. this could be the overall answer to our problems, and if it solved that problem AND gave much higher mileage AND smoother operation AND another thing to spend money on, sign me up.

I am betting that if you were touring and not drag racing you could run most any octane you wanted. {for instance, someone mentioned running 85 octane "out west" when necessary on an FJR that is "rated" for 87 octane}.

So if the "reflashed" computer was recommended for 89 octane, I'll bet it would run 87 for touring purposes, with no problems. I have caused my 87 octane 07 FJR to "rattle" a little if I almost stalled it in hot weather.

Thats not desirable but I don't think the FJR has a KNOCK sensor so it's going to happen now and then. STill it seems to be very apparent when it happens, and it makes such a racket it shouldn't be something that anyone would let ruin an FJR.

1 - 20 of 200 Posts