FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I'd changed from VFR to FJR to avoid this type of problem :?

I left the bike off the optimate III the night before last whilst the sump dripped out its last traces of oil. Last night I refilled with oil, checked everything was tight and went to start her up - two turns and lots of clicks.

Now given that the bike behaved perectly last year and now this is the second time it done this to me in three attempts to start (with one ride following the second attempt) I'm going to replace the battery before looking at other things.

My reasoning is that it is apparently not taking charge from either the alternator OR the optimate III.

The only thing that might be taking power is the Spyball alarm (I assume a power commander doesn't take power if the bike is not running).

I'll keep you posted but my weekend trip is now in jeopardy :(

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
No, the PCIII doesn't take power with the ignition off.

I would have disconnected the battery (assuming connections were definitely tight in the first place), cleaned all connections/terminals and tried to fire up without putting the Optimate back on again - to see if she was at least turning over without clicking. Then, if a charge was needed, you would know that you have clean/tight connections. After that, not holding charge, you would know that the battery is f*&^%$%$£.

You don't say how old the battery is

See my thread on my recent problems, battery and PCIII - if you have a problem with the PCIII and have a laptop, that can be investigated.

http://www.fjrowners.ws/phpbb2/viewtopic.php?p=9856&highlight=#9856

·
Registered
40 Posts
Shakey said:
Now given that the bike behaved perectly last year and now this is the second time it done this to me in three attempts to start (with one ride following the second attempt) I'm going to replace the battery before looking at other things.
*snip* I bought an expensive Yuasa battery for my Triumph Thunderbird last year after having a similar problem. I knew the relay and solenoid were working as I could hear the 'click'; I assumed it was the battery. But a new battery solved nothing, instead the starter motor needed rebuilt. Fortunately my dealer had the parts to rebuild a honda motor, as triumph does not sell the parts to rebuild it and demands that the owner spend several hundred (I think I was quoted $600) for a new starter motor. My mechanic, however, pointed out that a ton of bikes use the exact same starter motor, and he had everything to rebuild it--cost me about $30.

Before I bought a new battery (or if you already bought one and it didn't fix it), I'd check the voltage across the leads at the starter motor when you press the starter button--if the voltage is fine there, you need a new motor (or need yours rebuilt). If there's no voltage at the motor, there's a wiring problem. And of course, if it doesn't click at all, it's likely your relay--check the voltage across the leads going into the relay as you press the starter button.

good luck!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts