FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Three years ago after waiting for my FJR for 6 months I broke my leg on a trails bike and couldn't ride it for most the summer. Easter weekend in Moab I crashed my DR400 and broke my other leg... but good. Just got released from the hospital today.Same doctor did the operation. He remembered me and that it was the same month 3 years back. Once again a new FJR sits next to my Alaska prepped V Strom. I just major messed up my summer. Shit.

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Sorry to hear, man.

Hang in there.

:) - on bikini patrol in FL

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
Sounds like a bummer of a summer. You don't want to get to know that doc any better. Hope you heal soon.

·
Super Moderator
3,947 Posts
Condolences on your summer.

I blew my knee out a week ago Monday. Went in on Tues to the family Dr who said he would get a referral for an MRI and a ortho surgeon. Never hard back, so called today. Nurse said that the MRI request was declined and she didn't know why. I'm waiting for another call back as they try and figure out why the MRI was declined and try to reword the request.

While I'm down from 2 crutches and a knee brace to 1 crutch, I can still feel things rattling around in there and have to be very careful how I step or feels like it'll fall all apart again. In the mean time I can at least bend my leg enough to get it up on the right footpeg. I'd ride to work if I knew I wouldn't ever have to use my right leg to hold up the bike. A crutch will fit on the back of the bike like a stinger with enough bungee cords!

--update--
Just to say that i can sympathize with you. Best of wishes for a speedy recovery.

·
Registered
949 Posts
pluric said:
Three years ago after waiting for my FJR for 6 months I broke my leg on a trails bike and couldn't ride it for most the summer. Easter weekend in Moab I crashed my DR400 and broke my other leg... but good. Just got released from the hospital today.Same doctor did the operation. He remembered me and that it was the same month 3 years back. Once again a new FJR sits next to my Alaska prepped V Strom. I just major messed up my summer. Shit.
Sorry to hear about your busted leg. After the initial shock and pain wears off a bit the reality sucks. Reminds me of the one about the beggar with one good and one deformed hand pleading to his God to give him a matching pair of hands......

Heal quickly mate. Riding bikes is "difficult pleasure" at times.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Cheer up, Pluric, at least you're not a Republican! :crylarf:

Sorry you'll be laid up a while. How do you break a leg on a li'l ole 400 anyway? I went down on my DL1000 and walked away unscathed.

Bet you were having fun right up to the point your leg popped though. I haven't been to Moab yet but it is sure on my to-do list!

Heal quickly!

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Your right Amain, I do have a reason to live. It could be much worse. :wink:
I never made it out of the parking lot. I had just spent 5 minutes telling this family how easy a ride it was and that their kids would love it, Went to catch up with my family, shifted into second in the loose stuff and that was it. Broke the Tibia and Fibula, fractured the ankle. I would post my arm shot but it is very bloody. I now am the proud owner of more titanium than any of my bikes. I have had to re type this so many times(meds) I'm going back to sleep.

·
Registered
558 Posts
Thats a real pisser......the thought of sitting around, not being able to to go for those long summer rides, just sitting there feeling useless, slowly siezing up, not being able to get the juices flowing through the twisties...you gotta feel sorry for a young FJR....

Oh..and Pluric, I hope you start feeling better soon too.. 8)

·
Registered
426 Posts
It seems you were a little short on riding gear. I went down at a good 40mph and only knicked a knuckle getting my hand past the handguard. (Now there's a misnomer, eh?)

·
Registered
7,358 Posts
Owwww! Decades of dirt riding, and I've never been opened up like that. Massive internal hemorrages that caused fainting and whole body discoloration, but never lacerations like those. eeesshh! :oops:

Democrat or whatever, this republican hopes you feel better soon. ;)

We know chicks dig scars, brouah... but sheeez!!

:) - on bikini patrol in FL

·
Registered
558 Posts
I take it not your singing *Oh Happy Days* in the first pic..

Thats one hellava job you done yourself there..keep taking the meds'.. and sure hope your feeling better soon.. :cry:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Ouch! Sorry to see the infury, hope you get back on the dark side soon.

Good luck with the repairs (you and the bike).

Nova :wink:

·
Registered
949 Posts
No hand injuries from the pics so either you were wearing gloves or the bike went down very quickly - not a lot you can do to save a situation like that. Last time I was in a surgical ward 3 guys out of the 5 were bike injuries. One jaw broken in 2 places on one side, a foot peg pushed full depth into a thigh and another guy with fractured vertebrae and leg. The last guy was found at the bottom of a 40ft road embankment by a couple of drunks who had stopped their car to take a leak. The injured guy had been there from the night before ! As I said earlier, addictions (particularly the two wheeled kind) can be difficult pleasure. It gets a little better each day.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Funny looking leg :?

Wishing you a speedy recovery and at least something of your summer

·
Registered
41 Posts
For what it's worth, here is my 2cents worth!!

Sell the DR400 and stick with the FJR!! :crylarf:

and wear protective gear at ALL times!!

Wishing you a speedy recovery. :ale:

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I did have full sleeve riding jersey, riding pants(saved my butt cheek),gloves and MXboots. It looks like the sleeve just rolled up my arm and let the sharp rocks have their way with me. The "Bark Busters" did great job of keeping my hand safe.
I got stir crazy and went out to the back garage to look at the bike today. Expected scrapes, the brake pedal punctured the clutch cover,bars look bent? It will live to ride again.
Thanks for the support everyone. I can't tell you how badly this sucks for the summer plans I had.

·
Registered
425 Posts
stupid rocks :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 18 of 18 Posts