FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
'05 FJR, non-ABS
235 Posts
Steamrider,
Looks like your rear wheel is already back together but next time to be sure to check your wheel bearings... including the 3rd one behind the drive splines.
And don't worry about that rusty u-joint.. these are tough little units and the bearings are sealed well (but not officially serviceable).
And yes, the u-joint and drive shaft do spin FAST:
Assuming a std rear tire size 180/55 x 17 with a rolling circumference of ~76” giving ~834 revs/miles x Final Drive ratio of 3.66 = 3058 revs/min drive-shaft speed at 60 mph.
Mr. BR
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread
Hand Wood Gesture Finger Thumb
Gas Auto part Audio equipment Gadget Metal

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Steamrider,
Looks like your rear wheel is already back together but next time to be sure to check your wheel bearings... including the 3rd one behind the drive splines.
And don't worry about that rusty u-joint.. these are tough little units and the bearings are sealed well (but not officially serviceable).
And yes, the u-joint and drive shaft do spin FAST:
Assuming a std rear tire size 180/55 x 17 with a rolling circumference of ~76” giving ~834 revs/miles x Final Drive ratio of 3.66 = 3058 revs/min drive-shaft speed at 60 mph.
Mr. BR
View attachment 85286 View attachment 85287 View attachment 85288
I did check and clean the two with the red coverings but had no idea about the third one! I will have the wheel off again in a few days as I am curious to see how everything played out and I have to put new brakes on. Seems easier to take the wheel off to do the brakes then to fiddle with all the annoying bolts on the brake brace. I will take a look! Thanks.

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
375 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
Is it up high, right side of the engine, or down low left side at the driveshaft/u-joint? There is driveline lash, normally you can turn the rear wheel on centerstand, in gear, back and forth about 2" at the OD of the tire..... you'll get lash when you coast/let off throttle, and it will take back up when you accelerate.
A couple noticed some noise at the u-joint, are those splines greased?
Well... The tick is gone. It just makes the normal FJR ticking again. I owe you two drinks now.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
So you coming to tech day.... we got two valve checks, one we'll get mostly done Friday nite.......

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
10,628 Posts
Crap, I sent it....... to somebody else. Sucks getting old. Check yer mailbox.

Reactions: StreamRider
41 - 47 of 47 Posts