FJR Owners Forum banner

Is there a trick to removing the key from gas cap?

2K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  JohnC 
#1 ·
I don't want to force anything, but, my key does not want to come out of the gas tank cover. I've taken the cover off the tank - if that has any impact, though put it back on and still can't turn lock fully to "close", or away from "open" to pull key out. If the key comes out at "12:00", I'd say it's at 12:25 right now and I just can't turn it back to high-noon. Is there a trick? I've tried pushing in on the key...

Sorry if my being a new FJR owner is my problem....

Thank you,

Jay

#2 ·
No trick I've seen. It should turn freely

#5 ·
What BigOgre says........ Sounds like the lock may need a good cleaning and lube..... you could try some WD40 to start, but I use lock deicer (when the key is out) as it flushes and has a trace amount of oil that doesn't accumulate or cake like graphite can.

Reactions: Connector
#10 ·
I am guessing that you are using the OEM Yamaha keys. That sounds like a stupid observation, but . . .
"everyone" knows that the MamaYama keys are made from a softer metal that is easily bent. Many of us use keys made from aftermarket blanks that are harder and therefore more durable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.