FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:D being new to this forum a true story which happened a few years ago, well 3 years. Heading back two up from Madrid towards the Northern spanish coast and the ferry. I was then on my old GS with 'her indoors' and riding with a mate on his Triumph 900 Trophy. He had wife on board. Crusing at a sedate 80 ish we became aware of another Bike behind us. Stayed about 30 yards back, a Fireblade just tracking us. Thought he was lonely, no problem. We pulled in for a coffee an hour or so later and the FireBlade did like wise. Saw it was French one, with male rider and female pillion. (Poor wench) All the rider had on was a white vest, helmet and jeans. He came up to us in a bit of a state and explained in broken English that Spanish 'Ali-barbars' had nicked his jacket in a cafe in Madrid containing all his monies/cards ina wallet. It was by the grace of god he had his Bike keys in jean pocket. He asked if we would buy him a coffee and lend him a few Euro's to allow him to buy petrol and get him to France, over the Pyrennes. Me and mate 'sussed' him out and thought 'sod it' We'll give him a few Euros We gave him 50 Euro's enough to get a full tank, and a bit of lunch. He was so happy. In France he stated he could get cash from Family, and he had to get back to N France near Cherbourg !! A lot of handshaking and off he went. Two weeks later mate received 50 Euros in post with a bit extra for a drink !! When ever I am in France /Spain I always think of this 'frenchie' bombing back in just a white vest. A 1000 miles to go :shock: This year I stopped in same cafe, hoped there might have been a statue to the Brit samaritans :lol: No luck. I now ride an FJR, and wow am I pleased. Would you have helped him out or thought you were being 'scammed'

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Evening Trotts, welcome to the forum.

An interesting first post. Would like to think that I'd have played the good samaritan, but if it had been a bad day.......

·
Registered
185 Posts
Living in a tourist town where the con merchants have easy pickings I have to say I've heard & become hardened to all the scams; money for the baby from the Pikey girls pushing babies around in old prams to guys with petrol cans who have broken down & need a fiver for petrol. Ashamed to say that I'd probably have seen it as another scam.

·
Registered
191 Posts
...but there are so many stories of the "brotherhood" of motorcyclists. Any other circumstance I'd also think "SCAM." but a fellow biker, I'd probably also be inclined to try and help out.

Wow! He sent the money back!

Welcome, Tony!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
That's a scam I encounter in urban areas, "just a few bucks for gas to get me home."

My standard reply is... I'll buy you 10, if I pay at the pump for you. I've never had a taker.

If they're honest, I get to do a good deed... if not, sorry, I'm not buying your rock for the evening.

:)

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Many moons ago we were camping on the Isle of Skye (without motorised transport either!) and pitched on some common ground near the harbour in Broadford. There were a couple of other tents there, and on the second day the old bill arrived and started poking around one of them. Turns out that it had been set up by a couple of young Spaniards and that no-one had seen them for a day or so, so they were checking to make sure that no-one was lost out on the mountains.

Anyway, when the Police opened it up they found that it was empty apart from a "thank you" note which read along the lines of "Thanks for helping us out by loaning us the tent. Sorry, but we couldn't be bothered to bring it back to you. You are so stupid, goodbye".

Surprisingly enough there wasn't an address to send it to either :roll:

·
Registered
185 Posts
@liquidsilver: They actually have empty fuel cans with them here, its like a proper job & a nice little earner; not sure how they would react if you actually put fuel in the can. Unfortunately like many of the scams here, its really aimed at the overseas visitors who are in visiting "quaint little England" mode & perhaps not as sharp as they may be on home ground.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts