Fjrowners.com banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, thanks for letting me join.
Background, I have owned a 1983 Yamaha Venture for 8 years, in the summer ride it almost daily for luxury rides, a bit of sport, for 2 hrs.
I'm mid 50s, 6'2", 300# boy, (and that's a lot of boy).
I'm looking to upgrade bikes, I really like feet under, rather than feet forward position. I really like a fairing based bike. I do not really plan to take on longer cruises.
I've considered a GW, everything I hear is that they are miserable with taller riders.
Is the FJR something I should look into? I'd buy used, but towards the newer end.
Any advise? Thanks

·
Registered
32 Posts
mid-50's 6'1 225 guy here. Pretty comfy for me, may do foot peg lowering add on though. I added a "lip" on top of the windshield which i like so far.

Also, i didn't quite understand how the FJR handlebars differed from my Suzuki VStrom.
The stock FJR handlebars are adjustable, and you can put risers under them (which my used one came with), but i would still prefer a little more sit upright and beg riding position. It may just be me getting used to it still.

i found a used one at a dealer that they let me ride before i bought mine as a private sale.
The motor purrs...

Reactions: SpencerPJ

·
Premium Member
7,752 Posts
You will need suspension upgrades. FJR's are a touch undersprung, and you need the proper springs to support you and the bike.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
You will need suspension upgrades. FJR's are a touch undersprung, and you need the proper springs to support you and the bike.
I've seen that, and that would not be a deal breaker at all, I'm fairly handy diy.
More wanting rider feedback from others or in the know what I can expect as a fit for my size.
thx

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
mid-50's 6'1 225 guy here. Pretty comfy for me, may do foot peg lowering add on though.
but i would still prefer a little more sit upright and beg riding position.
The motor purrs...
Yes, I do like my Venture upright position and it wouldn't bother me to do some mods to get it to my likes. Us (or me) linebacker framed guys do not do well leaning over onto the handlebars, gets old real quick.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Size-wise, you should do very well with the seat in the high position and bar risers and pull-backs, presuming that you do not have any knee issues. May have to invest in some aftermarket shocks. Peg-lowering brackets are available.

·
Premium Member
1,499 Posts
Pssssst, a 2014 will give you Yamaha's fastest color and 5 speeds. All the latest and greatest with no recalls except for a brake switch, tih, who needs that! 2015's are great too but a little slower due to color. (all in jest now people!) 2016's and newer give you that 6 speed transmission that wants to be a 5. With your size neighborhood the bike's power will definitely handle everything but you'll need to get Helibars for the handlebars. I couldn't stand leaning forward coming from a cruiser ride. My first upgrade. The seat will be a pain, literally, so squirrel away some cash for that upgrade. Don't waste your money on mirror extenders as I did, go right to Yamaha's FZ1 mirrors. Left-5LV-26280-00-00, Right-5LV-26290-00-00 Besides sticking further out to see past your shoulders, the fold upward just in the case of a 0 mph drop. You won't break the mirror frame.

Are you going to be doing 2 up riding?

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
6 Posts
I’m about the same size and age, maybe 10 pounds lighter. Bought a 2004 FJR 1300 with bar risers, stock seat, and stock suspension August 2020. Did the 1,000 mile Lake Michigan Circle tour in early October in two days. Discomfort issues for me were sore butt, some hand numbness, and leg cramping. Discomfort was more agonizing the first day than the second - got used to it. Breaking for snack and stretching every two hours helped. No issues with suspension.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
7,885 Posts
all of the above. go sit on one is the first step and also sit on a kawi c14, you will like one or the other.
After 14 yrs of FJR ownership I still tell people if I were (I'm 5'10", 190 lbs) 2-3" taller and about 50 lbs heavier I would have gone for the C14. Imho the FJR simply isn't made for the big boys. Even at my size I find myself feeling scrunched up after a day's ride.

·
Premium Member
3,250 Posts
Mike, I'm not sure that is true. Part of the problem is that the shape of the stock seat tends to push you into the fuel tank. I have a SeatConcepts seat. The higher density foam combined with the shape gives my butt better than stock support and does not push me into the gas tank even with an MCL riser plate. I am 74, about 6' - 6'1", and about 220 - 230 lbs. (my cardiologist wants me to lose about 30 lbs.), and although foot peg lowering blocks might help, I do not feel cramped on the bike.

·
Registered
240 Posts
SpencerPJ:

I am the same height as you, and wear pants with a 34" inseam, 70 pounds lighter, and slightly older. I fit fine on my first FJR, a 2006 that I owned from 2006-2012, however due to a knee injury (1999) combined with aging I found that on my 2020 FJR I had to install Murph's Rider Footpeg Lowering Brackets (Murphskits.com), which lower the rider footpegs by about 32mm (1.25"). You will lose some cornering clearance with the brackets installed but only at significant lean angles. I also keep the stock seat in the high position and use an AirHawk or BeadRider seat cover, both for comfort and even more leg room. Which seat cover I use generally depends on the ambient temperature. On a long trip I bring both and change them up (takes about 10 seconds) if I start to feel uncomfortable.

I do not have bar risers and do not feel the need for them. I did adjust the bars to the forward-most position.

Hope this helps.

Haynes

Reactions: SpencerPJ

·
Registered
177 Posts
After 14 yrs of FJR ownership I still tell people if I were (I'm 5'10", 190 lbs) 2-3" taller and about 50 lbs heavier I would have gone for the C14. Imho the FJR simply isn't made for the big boys. Even at my size I find myself feeling scrunched up after a day's ride.
This makes a lot of sense. Have sat on a C14 a couple of times in the showroom and it felt HUGE - probably be a good fit for those over 6'2" and 225 or so.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
This makes a lot of sense. Have sat on a C14 a couple of times in the showroom and it felt HUGE - probably be a good fit for those over 6'2" and 225 or so.
I'm probably going to throw BMW into the mix as well? I've never owned anything besides a Yamaha tho, not that that is a huge deal.

·
Registered
49 Posts
First off, thanks for letting me join.
Background, I have owned a 1983 Yamaha Venture for 8 years, in the summer ride it almost daily for luxury rides, a bit of sport, for 2 hrs.
I'm mid 50s, 6'2", 300# boy, (and that's a lot of boy).
I'm looking to upgrade bikes, I really like feet under, rather than feet forward position. I really like a fairing based bike. I do not really plan to take on longer cruises.
I've considered a GW, everything I hear is that they are miserable with taller riders.
Is the FJR something I should look into? I'd buy used, but towards the newer end.
Any advise? Thanks
cant imagine Gold Wings Being miserable

the FJR by comparison is a MID sized bike

there are Many models Bigger......Heavier

debatable tat they are More Comfortable

id sit on all models U seriously r considering ( take Ur Belt OFF ) for 20 min or longer

im 6-1 200 lbs naked...............if i were bigger i would not consider the FJR ( I Hv 2 )

good luck

·
Registered
474 Posts
I'm 6'1" with a 34" inseam, and with an aftermarket Sargent seat I was almost able to flatfoot my '16 FJR...probably a half-inch gap between my heals and the pavement. Presumably with a Russell DayLong seat -- which with your weight I would suggest is probably going to be the best choice, more so than the Sargent and certainly more so than stock -- the stretch to the ground will be slightly more (I think I recall folks mentioning the RDL seat's a bit wider/padded in front than the other two) but still well within bounds to make the FJR a perfectly comfortable and safe ride.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I'm, sorry, but I cannot fathom how anyone with a 34-inch inseam cannot flatfoot a FJR. Presumably, if you cannot reach the ground, you could put the seat in the low position? I have a slightly less than 32-inch inseam, with my Sargent seat in the high position, I can comfortably reach the ground with both feet, at the same time...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts