FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2016 FJR13ES
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It's random, but increasingly frequent that my cruise control won't engage. Sometimes, restarting the bike helps, other times not. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated...

·
Registered
'15 FJR1300A
217 Posts
There is a recall for the brake switch which can cause this problem. Please add your year and model to your profile to assist with these types of issues.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
It's random, but increasingly frequent that my cruise control won't engage. Sometimes, restarting the bike helps, other times not. Any trouble shooting suggestions would be appreciated...
oldncapilot,

If your rear brake light is staying ON sometimes, you probably have a dirty brake switch, or the brake lever needs a clean and lube session. Either the handbrake lever or the footbrake lever can be at fault. Those switches may be bad, even when the hardware is clean and functional. This is the most common cause of cruise control that will not engage.

Cruise control will not engage with the rear brake light ON.

Contact the Yamaha mothership with your VIN, to check for any factory recalls remaining to be done.

https://www.yamaha-dealers.com/public/web/techpubs/nhtsaPublications.html
1-800-962-7926

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
Yeah. The recall. My '13 did that from time to time, but I had the recall done it's not done it in the 4000 miles since.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
8,705 Posts
Agree, get the switch recall done, meanwhile spray contact cleaner in to ensure no dirt/the little plunger is coming out all the way. Clutch switch too.
Grease the rear brake pedal pivot to ensure it is returning fully.
Clean the ABS sensors and silicone grease in the mounting hole that tends to have aluminum corrosion.......

·
Registered
2016 FJR13ES
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a recall for the brake switch which can cause this problem. Please add your year and model to your profile to assist with these types of issues.
Thanks for suggestions and I'll look into the recall. I updated my profile for my 2016 1300ES. Brian

·
Registered
1 Posts
If after using a hand brake your cruise control won't engage, push the hand brake level forward with your fingers and try again, this trick works most of the time.
But definitely do the brake switch recall!

·
Registered
118 Posts
My '14 does this from time to time. Turned out to be my clutch lever switch, just had to push the clutch lever outward a little bit and it would engage as usual. Might actually get around to cleaning and lubing the lever pivot point this weekend.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,509 Posts
My '14 does this from time to time. Turned out to be my clutch lever switch, just had to push the clutch lever outward a little bit and it would engage as usual. Might actually get around to cleaning and lubing the lever pivot point this weekend.
Be sure to clean/lube the little bushing. If you haven't kept up with this it'll probably need to be replaced. It's easy to tell.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts