FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new '06 from the Kansas City this weekend, and noticed a strange probelm on my ride home. The instant MPG feature only ever shows 17mpg, though the average MPG was showing ~35-37mpg for the trip. I noticed this on my 'motoman break-in' ride and told the dealer before I left; the salesman said that perhaps it just needed most of the tank to be used before the 'floats in the tank' properly settled, which sounded like a load of 'I-don't-really-know-so-I'll-make-something-up'. The service manager who did the oil change said he didn't know what it could be, but thought perhaps the 'computer' needed reset--he didn't know how to do this. Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, I thought the FJR's got better than 37MPG--I'd heard something like 45 was pretty standard. The first half of the ride home I was consistantly getting 33, then when I stopped for gas and a rest and let the bike cool a bit, it went up immediately to 37 when I started the last leg home. Does MPG improve with break-in time?

Thanks, and I'm loving the bike!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Fuel Mileage

37 mpg is a good start. It does need some break-in time. I'm interested to here if the new gearing will improve final results.

·
Registered
14 Posts
mindtrip said:
I picked up my new '06 from the Kansas City this weekend, and noticed a strange probelm on my ride home. The instant MPG feature only ever shows 17mpg, though the average MPG was showing ~35-37mpg for the trip. I noticed this on my 'motoman break-in' ride and told the dealer before I left; the salesman said that perhaps it just needed most of the tank to be used before the 'floats in the tank' properly settled, which sounded like a load of 'I-don't-really-know-so-I'll-make-something-up'. The service manager who did the oil change said he didn't know what it could be, but thought perhaps the 'computer' needed reset--he didn't know how to do this. Anyone else have any ideas?

Also, I thought the FJR's got better than 37MPG--I'd heard something like 45 was pretty standard. The first half of the ride home I was consistantly getting 33, then when I stopped for gas and a rest and let the bike cool a bit, it went up immediately to 37 when I started the last leg home. Does MPG improve with break-in time?

Thanks, and I'm loving the bike!
I have experienced the same issue on my new 06 FJR. Most instantaneous readings like this are provided by the engine ECU. Since it controls the fuel flow to the injectors it can calculate the about of fuel being consumed. I did reset my Avg MPG reading after about 50 miles, and am showing 38mpg.

I believe that Yamaha has an issue with the instantaneous mpg readout.

Weekender.

·
Registered
177 Posts
I found my FJR was a little thirsty when it was brand new, but it settled down after a few K, it worked out at 48 mpg two up touring heavily loaded, and could squeeze 52mpg when tootling about. These are UK figures tho, slightly bigger gallon than yours. Never dropped below 40mpg even when cruising at 100+ . Ignore the instant and concentrate on the average on the computer, when you see that going up, you have got it smooth.
I also got into the habit of resetting one of the trip meters on filling up, divide the miles done by the litres/gallons taken to fill, much more reliable...you will soon learn what it does to a tank, if it drops, then you are going way too fast or have a problem :mrgreen:

PS obviously the above only works if you fill each time from empty to full.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Fuel mileage

Joker said:
Hello! Since we are talking about MPG, check this site: URL www.benzin.myffi.biz

Very interesting!!
I've also read about adding acetone to your gas (on the order of a 1-2% mixture) and found that doing this on both my truck and my old motorcycle boosted the MPG by ~10-15%. A lot cheaper than buying someone else's product, and at such a low mixture ratio it's not likely to do anything harmful to gaskets/bushing/etc.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
new data

Okay, so I took her out for 6-7 hours today, for another 300 miles. I've now finished the 600-mile break-in period, and DAMN am I having a good time. Hit 130 on a country road, had to slow down when I took out an entire swarm of flying bugs--all over my helmet visor!

Anyway, here's what happened to my MPG today: in the morning, I again got ~33-35mpg. My buddy and I rode ~140 miles on back country roads where I ranged in speed from 30 in towns to 130, usually around 80 when I wasn't stretching her legs, and I used 4.09gal of gas. We stopped for lunch, hung out for a while, then filled up and hit the interstate to head home. Now when I got the 37mpg yesterday, part of this was also interstate. Today I got a whopping 42.5mpg going home, running ~75-90 mph the whole way! now THAT'S more like it! Wierd why morning seems worse, though I also found that to be true on my last bike (a Triumph Thunderbird); mileage was always lower in the morning, better in the afternoon.

Anyway, hopefully when it finishes breaking in and settling out that I can get the 45-50mpg others have seen. This afternoon it definitely beat the pants off my Trumpet; at those speeds the t-bird runs 30-35mpg. And I can't wipe the smile off my face, or stop my insane giggling!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
177 Posts
Be careful you don't destroy the Catalytic Converter though, they can be pretty fussy, and expensive to replace.
I was once shot down in flames in here for suggesting that bump starting the FJR was a NO NO because of the Cat, a mate of mine just has his FJR fail its MOT inspection because the Cat was shot...and he bump started his every week...coz the standard battery is shite !! Unburnt fuel, as is when bump starting, destroys Cats, not just on bikes, but cars as well.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I've noticed fuel milage is directly linked to throttle pressure...I've gotten 32 to 45 mpg...but my right hand is like Hellboys.. :mrgreen:

·
Super Moderator
3,959 Posts
When reading a UK report and wanting to know US results, multiply by 1.201.
When reading a US report and wanting to know UK results, multiply by 0.833.

150/4=37 mpg (us) - reported here by someone in the US
150/(4*0.833)=45.02 (uk) - read here by someone in the UK

150/4=37 mpg (uk) - reported here by someone in the UK
150/(4*1.201)=31.22 mpg (us) - read here by someone in the US

Let's see if I got that right and didn't reverse the conversions. Usually, when reading a post from someone that hasn't done the conversions in their posts, I just toss it off as appearing higher than my MPG because the UK gallon is overly generous. :ale:

·
Premium Member
2,982 Posts
arkninjazx9 said:
I've noticed fuel milage is directly linked to throttle pressure.
and throttle pressure is linked to the right wrist, and the right wrist is connected to the.. Oh, oh, the right wrist is connected to the 'fun factory' portion of the brain. Well, there goes your fuel mileage :crylarf:

·
Registered
177 Posts
bounce said:
because the UK gallon is overly generous. :ale:
And extremely expensive, but having said that, somebody pointed out that bottled water is 2 times the price of fuel, but do you hear anybody complain !! Can't understand anybody in Scotland buying water when we have the finest of the fine running off the hills, thay even make our national drink out of it :crylarf:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
malki said:
Be careful you don't destroy the Catalytic Converter though, they can be pretty fussy, and expensive to replace.
I was once shot down in flames in here for suggesting that bump starting the FJR was a NO NO because of the Cat, a mate of mine just has his FJR fail its MOT inspection because the Cat was shot...and he bump started his every week...coz the standard battery is shite !! Unburnt fuel, as is when bump starting, destroys Cats, not just on bikes, but cars as well.
If this is in reference to using acetone; acetone actually helps all fuel get burnt, as it acts as a chemical vaporizor--it gets in between the much longer-chain hydrocarbons and breaks them up, so they aerosolize better, resulting in a cleaner burn with less unburnt fuel and a more efficient combustion. This is why very little acetone is required, as you're not trying to use acetone as a fuel source.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
arkninjazx9 said:
I've noticed fuel milage is directly linked to throttle pressure...I've gotten 32 to 45 mpg...but my right hand is like Hellboys.. :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: yeah, I know when I was hammering the hell out of it during the break in I wasn't expecting good mileage!

On mondays I commute ~75 miles to a rural town for the day; again noticed (and without any hammering!) that I got ~33-34 mpg in the morning. This has been consistent over the past 3 days. When I ride home this afternoon I suspect I'll get ~40-44mpg. Can't for the life of me figure out why; it was ~50-55 deg F this morning, though it got up to ~63deg F yesterday afternoon. I wouldn't expect 5-10 degrees to make all that much difference in anything, but it's the only condition I can think of that was different between yesterday and this morning. I hadn't fuelled up, so gas was the same, tire pressures were the same, I just don't understand. Wierd.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Jees christ . You telling me a 06 has some kinda fuel use calculor. What the feck for. Somit else to go wrong.
Mind you dont crash lookin at all the gauges all time. Adjusting seat and pissing around with the *** lighter. Lets go the whole hog and call it a BMW
Some where to plug hair drier in, is there.
It's in serious danger of becoming an old dodders bike. Of which in some cases is all ready.

I dun know. What's biking coming too.

TINC :wink:

·
Registered
54 Posts
alman,
I agree with you. What the hell is biking coming to? What with all the farkles and crap people put on them they sometimes forget what the pleasures of biking are all about!
Can't ride in the rain, can't ride in the cold, must be sparkiling clean all the time...etc,etc.. :(
Come on people, just ride the damn thing and enjoy!
My two cents worth. :mrgreen:

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
swannie007 said:
alman,
I agree with you. What the hell is biking coming to? What with all the farkles and crap people put on them they sometimes forget what the pleasures of biking are all about!
Can't ride in the rain, can't ride in the cold, must be sparkiling clean all the time...etc,etc.. :(
Come on people, just ride the damn thing and enjoy!
My two cents worth. :mrgreen:
:? Wierd, I haven't met or talked to a feejer owner yet who DOESN'T ride all-out. I ride 15k-20k a year; you wanna talk about hard-core, old-school riding? I've been doing this for the past 4 years on a Triumph Thunderbird, with a roadster windshield, highway pegs, and some Givi bags. NO fairing, minimal wind protection, and I ride year-round in Missouri, like I did when I had my old Suzi living in Iowa. No heated grips, always wet, often cold. I added a Gerbing jacket for the first time in January of '03, and suddenly realized how nice farkles can be. Hell, they don't KEEP me from riding when it's snowing, they HELP me ride when it's snowing. So yeah, I'm gonna farkle it up, but I'm still gonna ride. But my impression was the feejer riders DO ride in all conditions.

BTW Alman, I was comparing this to a Bimmer--no comparison, this thing is way more inspiring, and waaaaaaaay more fun. 8)

·
Registered
25 Posts
Instant MPG

My instant MPG won't go over 17.0 either. Yamaha or dealer have no answer yet. Other than that one problem, bike is awesome.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts