FJR Owners Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently picked up my new custom fit, in ear monitor from InEARZ and was floored. I had been using foam ear plugs to cut down the wind noise and a Cardo PackTalk Slim with the larger JBL speakers all in a Shoei GT Air 2. They worked, but at “higher” cruising speeds, the music was hard to hear. I had the Cardo maxed out nearly all the time, in comparison, InEARZ the level is maybe a 2 and is crystal clear at any speed. Two integrated speakers per ear along with 32db reduction of noise I can listen my favorite tunes, still hear my Two Brothers but much less wind noise.
Body jewelry Hood Automotive lighting Font Jewellery

After doing some research and rationalization I settled on InEarz. My rationalization was the investment would help prevent further hearing loss in my 60-year-old ears and I already have significant tinnitus. Blue Cross does not cover them which is a bummer. There were several other companies I considered, but the InEarz is also a top hearing aid manufacturer and best of all is local to me.

I set up a time to visit and get impressions made there on site. While talking with Martin and Pam, I changed my mind on which product combination to go with and settled on the UH-2 Stereo in Acrylic, with a 24” cord. In retrospect, I would get a longer cord and have the plug be straight vs. 90 degrees. The impression process was quick, easy, and painless.

Pam called me after a week or so to let me know they were ready, and we set up a time for me to come in and try them out. I took my helmet along to make sure everything would go well.
The fit was perfect and so easy to put in place. I plugged them directly into my iPhone to give them a listen before putting on my helmet. WOW, I was floored, but had to pull the plug quickly. The volume had been set to loud. I lowered the volume, and the sound was amazing, better than my Bose QuietComfort earbuds I had used when flying.
Plugged them into my Cardo and put on my Shoei GT Air 2. The helmet slid on without an issue and the sound was fantastic. I could not wait to take them for a ride.

Again, the good folks at their facility could not have been better. I am sure the experience would be the same even if ordering from across the country.
Saturday came and time for a ride…they did not disappoint. Again, no issue putting them in, but it was a bit awkward when plugging them into the Cardo. While the shorter cord meant less under my collar, I would recommend going with the longer option. Also, a straight plug would match up better with the Cardo wiring than the 90 degree that came with them.

After over 1k miles of riding with the InEARZ I continue to be more than happy. Would I buy them again, absolutely. In fact, I would place them #2 in adding to my riding enjoyment on my FJR. Above windshield upgrade, seat upgrade, even my Two Brothers. Only behind the ECU flash from Ivan.

As I re-read the above, it sounds more like a promotional piece than a rider review, but it is not. I ride between 12-15k a year on my 2007 FJR 1300 here in sunny central Florida often with a great group of guys, Central Florida Sport Touring Group.

· Registered
2022 FJR1300ES
3,605 Posts
For commuting, I just use the built in Sena speakers, and moldex earplugs.

But for long days, I use shure 215k monitors. They’re superb.
I recently picked up my new custom fit, in ear monitor from InEARZ and was floored. I had been using foam ear plugs to cut down the wind noise and a Cardo PackTalk Slim with the larger JBL speakers all in a Shoei GT Air 2. They worked, but at “higher” cruising speeds, the music was hard to hear. I had the Cardo maxed out nearly all the time, in comparison, InEARZ the level is maybe a 2 and is crystal clear at any speed. Two integrated speakers per ear along with 32db reduction of noise I can listen my favorite tunes, still hear my Two Brothers but much less wind noise.
View attachment 90314
After doing some research and rationalization I settled on InEarz. My rationalization was the investment would help prevent further hearing loss in my 60-year-old ears and I already have significant tinnitus. Blue Cross does not cover them which is a bummer. There were several other companies I considered, but the InEarz is also a top hearing aid manufacturer and best of all is local to me.

I set up a time to visit and get impressions made there on site. While talking with Martin and Pam, I changed my mind on which product combination to go with and settled on the UH-2 Stereo in Acrylic, with a 24” cord. In retrospect, I would get a longer cord and have the plug be straight vs. 90 degrees. The impression process was quick, easy, and painless.

Pam called me after a week or so to let me know they were ready, and we set up a time for me to come in and try them out. I took my helmet along to make sure everything would go well.
The fit was perfect and so easy to put in place. I plugged them directly into my iPhone to give them a listen before putting on my helmet. WOW, I was floored, but had to pull the plug quickly. The volume had been set to loud. I lowered the volume, and the sound was amazing, better than my Bose QuietComfort earbuds I had used when flying.
Plugged them into my Cardo and put on my Shoei GT Air 2. The helmet slid on without an issue and the sound was fantastic. I could not wait to take them for a ride.

Again, the good folks at their facility could not have been better. I am sure the experience would be the same even if ordering from across the country.
Saturday came and time for a ride…they did not disappoint. Again, no issue putting them in, but it was a bit awkward when plugging them into the Cardo. While the shorter cord meant less under my collar, I would recommend going with the longer option. Also, a straight plug would match up better with the Cardo wiring than the 90 degree that came with them.

After over 1k miles of riding with the InEARZ I continue to be more than happy. Would I buy them again, absolutely. In fact, I would place them #2 in adding to my riding enjoyment on my FJR. Above windshield upgrade, seat upgrade, even my Two Brothers. Only behind the ECU flash from Ivan.

As I re-read the above, it sounds more like a promotional piece than a rider review, but it is not. I ride between 12-15k a year on my 2007 FJR 1300 here in sunny central Florida often with a great group of guys, Central Florida Sport Touring Group.

· Registered
55 Posts
Good info. I tried several ear plugs but they start to hurt after an hour. For me, the Yamaha touring windshield did the trick for wind noise. The bike is pretty quiet compared to my Bassani muffler from the last bike.

Reactions: Sp00ks

· Registered
557 Posts
View attachment 90314

Do these have "Active Noise Cancellation"? i.e. electronic circuitry to reduce engine noise

I use over-ear Bose QC30 headphones for operating equipment and would like something similar that works in a helmet. I find the in-ear headphones stick out too much and hurt in a short while.

· Premium Member
2015 FJR-1300ESF
891 Posts
@Dlounsbury if I have it straight you are basically using these wired IEMs as replacements for the stock speakers of the Packtalk Slim. Clever.

That being the case, don't you want a very short cord? It only has to go to the Packtalk unit on the helmet, right?

Years ago, I tried wired earbuds under the helmet. The cord was obnoxious, because it had to run all the way to my audio source (phone on handlebars). You can imagine how well that worked. Oh, and I got increased tinnitus because the advertised NRR was not achieved in practice.

Those earbuds (Plugfones) are now what I wear when I want noise isolation in the office or on a flight. They're good for that.

32 dB NRR is impressive, enough to get me to think about IEMs again. When I priced custom-molded (audiologist) earplugs a couple of years ago, I was not impressed. They offered only around 26 dB NRR max (IIRC), at significant expense. Disposable foam (Hearos Xtreme @ 32 dB NRR) are what I'm still using to ride, as well as as the shooting range.

@mikester pending answer from OP, you and me both. I'd love an ANC solution that can kill wind noise when riding.

Sena used to sell their Momentum INC noise-cancelling helmet (INC = Intelligent Noise Cancelling), but it was discontinued.

As recently as the past year, there was a Norweigan tech startup, DAAL Noise Control Systems, working on a helmet with active noise cancelling built-in, to combat wind noise: https://www.daal.no

Seems that you can't actually buy one. Their page only says "Follow our newsletter for distribution and sales updates." They've been around since 2018, so maybe this isn't going anywhere either.

I see 2 significant problems with integrating ANC into helmets:

1) the ANC solution apparently has to be designed to fit one particular helmet. Sena used their Momentum helmet. DAAL picked the Norton X-Lite X-1005.

If the helmet is wrong for your head shape, or you don't like the features aside from ANC, you're out of luck. The fit issue is probably the bigger roadblock.

2) headphone-style ANC, naturally, has to go over your ears. It would probably be possible to build such into a helmet, but I see this getting uncomfortable in hot weather.

ANC earbuds do seem to exist, but they also need to provide significant passive protection (NRR 29 dB or higher would be best) or for me they're no good.

· Registered
246 Posts
I have custom ear plugs, but like everyone else, they shut out all sound, including music and telephone, and the volume on my Cardo Packtalk Bold has to be turned up to full to hear the music and even then it is not always clear. I ordered the Inearz UH-2 in silicone. I didn't see what plugs they use, but I hope it is compatible with the Cardo units... (a micro-device, I think). I go back to the audiologist tomorrow for the molds.

· Registered
08 FJR13AX
443 Posts
Peripheral Audio equipment Font Output device Gadget

I've been using Klipsch S4 earbuds for more than ten years. They are promoted as "noise cancelling", which I guess just means that they fit in so snugly that some ambient noise is eliminated. But I've found them to be very good; the sound is extremely clear up to almost any speed; best earbuds I've ever experienced.
The other great benefit is that they are not expensive, (I buy them off Ebay for about 50 bucks, Used)... the little silicone plugs are cheap and plentiful, (they do pop-off occasionally and get lost when handling the item, I carry spares). I've been through about a dozen or more sets of S4's over ten years. I've gotten very adroit at taking them in and out rapidly, and one thing that no other bud I've found - they're shaped so they fit in your helmet nicely without getting shoved into your eardrum.
The problem with any wired earbuds is that they can easily get damaged. Many times have I stepped on one, or gotten a lead stuck in the fairing when in a hurry...or one wire in the plug gets broken from wind wear.
So.. one major thought before buying any expensive set of wired earbuds/monitors might be- Can you manage to keep them from being yanked or damaged?
$500 is a lot to lose, for me anyway.

PS - I use (Sandisk) Mp3 players, off a tidy little handlebar mount I made up; I like this set-up very much. I keep three 8G Mp3's loaded with my choice music, which I update often.
One nice feature about this unit is that it has a five-channel adjustable EQ, among other features (I don't know if smartphones do these days.. maybe). And it's only the size of a wide matchbox.

Communication Device Gadget Portable communications device Mp3 player Multimedia

For some reason I haven't have any solid problems with tinnitus, thank God, with 50 years of riding. But as I've said in another post, the WIND noise off the FJR windshield can be deafening, more than any other bike I've owned, and I did have some temporary ringing from that last summer until I added vector wings.

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Noise cancelling means they electrinically eliminate the ambient noise. Noise isolating mean they passively reduce ambient noise thru design and fit.

Everything you'd want in an ear bud without breaking the bank. Outstanding sound quality, comfy and even work well without pumping music. Using Comply memory foam tips, excellent. Wifey got me the bluetooth adapter for Xmas but haven't tried that yet.

Amazon.com: MEE audio M6 PRO In Ear Monitor Headphones for Musicians, 2nd Gen Model With Upgraded Sound, Memory Wire Earhooks & Replaceable Cables, Noise Isolating Professional Earbuds, 2 Cords Included (Blue) : Electronics

· Registered
08 FJR13AX
443 Posts
Wow! Those look impressive, Whoosh. How do they fit under the helmet? Not too wide...push too hard into the ears?
I might just have to try a set.

· Premium Member
2,299 Posts
Under the helmet the fit just fine, they don't stick out of your ear very far at all. And because of the over the ear loop, when you put your helmet on they stay in place. They come with several sized ear tips so you can pick one that feels best.

· Premium Member
2015 FJR-1300ESF
891 Posts
I have custom ear plugs, but like everyone else, they shut out all sound, including music and telephone, and the volume on my Cardo Packtalk Bold has to be turned up to full to hear the music and even then it is not always clear. I ordered the Inearz UH-2 in silicone. I didn't see what plugs they use, but I hope it is compatible with the Cardo units... (a micro-device, I think). I go back to the audiologist tomorrow for the molds.
Been a while since I shopped for helmet comms, but a few years ago only the really cheap comm units used a weird/proprietary audio connector, or had the speakers permanently wired in (no ability to substitute other speakers/devices). Suspect you won't have any trouble plugging your new InEarz into your Packtalk Bold. Standard 3.5mm / 1/8" audio jack is what you want, and from what I've seen, all Cardo units have that.

It's great because you can pretty much install whatever speakers or (wired) earbuds you want.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Do these have "Active Noise Cancellation"? i.e. electronic circuitry to reduce engine noise

I use over-ear Bose QC30 headphones for operating equipment and would like something similar that works in a helmet. I find the in-ear headphones stick out too much and hurt in a short while.
No, there is no Active Noise Cancellation, just about 32 db of reduction and absolute comfort.

I had tried using my QC20 which where not comfortable in my helmet and had an annoying 'pop' that others complained about as well. Went quickly to in helmet speakers and ear plugs.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
It is a standard 3.5mm plug. Fits fine into my Cardo.

· Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
View attachment 90365
I've been using Klipsch S4 earbuds for more than ten years. They are promoted as "noise cancelling", which I guess just means that they fit in so snugly that some ambient noise is eliminated. But I've found them to be very good; the sound is extremely clear up to almost any speed; best earbuds I've ever experienced.
The other great benefit is that they are not expensive, (I buy them off Ebay for about 50 bucks, Used)... the little silicone plugs are cheap and plentiful, (they do pop-off occasionally and get lost when handling the item, I carry spares). I've been through about a dozen or more sets of S4's over ten years. I've gotten very adroit at taking them in and out rapidly, and one thing that no other bud I've found - they're shaped so they fit in your helmet nicely without getting shoved into your eardrum.
The problem with any wired earbuds is that they can easily get damaged. Many times have I stepped on one, or gotten a lead stuck in the fairing when in a hurry...or one wire in the plug gets broken from wind wear.
So.. one major thought before buying any expensive set of wired earbuds/monitors might be- Can you manage to keep them from being yanked or damaged?
$500 is a lot to lose, for me anyway.

PS - I use (Sandisk) Mp3 players, off a tidy little handlebar mount I made up; I like this set-up very much. I keep three 8G Mp3's loaded with my choice music, which I update often.
One nice feature about this unit is that it has a five-channel adjustable EQ, among other features (I don't know if smartphones do these days.. maybe). And it's only the size of a wide matchbox.

View attachment 90366

For some reason I haven't have any solid problems with tinnitus, thank God, with 50 years of riding. But as I've said in another post, the WIND noise off the FJR windshield can be deafening, more than any other bike I've owned, and I did have some temporary ringing from that last summer until I added vector wings.
I have not experienced, nor expect any issue with being yanked out or damaged. Once in place, with the helmet on, there is no where for them to go. As far as lost, I am one of those who don't loose such things...Always put them in the same place every time.

· Registered
255 Posts
But for long days, I use shure 215k monitors. They’re superb.
I will respectfully disagree. Based on Pants glowing review of the Shure monitors I bought a set and he owes me some money!!! Perhaps it is just my ears/head shape but I find them terribly uncomfortable, and now, useless. Same as custom molded I tried years ago. Putting anything hard inside my ears combined with light pressure from the side of the helmet and I experience excruciating pain.

So, for years I have been singing the praise of the S-Plug by plugup.com. Clicky Thingy

They are small, and soft, and you can send them in for repair.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts