FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Firstly - apologies for yet another bloody key thread - I have tried to find answers in existing threads but "key" turns out to be far too common a searchphrase....

I bought myself a low mileage '06 a few weeks ago and am loving the bike so far.

One minor niggle - the bike came with only one key, a black one....

I fretted more than a little that it would be a very costly exercise to produce a spare without the notorious red key, until I learned that (correct me if I'm wrong here!) American bikes did not come with one from new. My bike was imported from Kentucky in 2018.

So my question is this - As it's from the states, does my bike have no immobiliser? If so, is getting a duplicate key as simple as the process of mechanically cutting one? No chip involved? (RFID presumably?)

Oh, and as an aside - if you have a european bike and loose the red key, are you really faced with replacing the ECU?? That seems rather nuts :oops:

·
Registered
249 Posts
If you have an immobiliser there will be a flashing red light in, I think, the speedo. So, turn the ignition off, remove the key and stare at the clocks for a bit.
I would imagine that a dealer with the frame number would be able to get a replacement red key

·
Premium Member
110 Posts
I'm in Fort Worth, Texas and have owned two 2016 models, an ES and an A model. I don't believe there were chips in any of my keys. When I needed extras, I went to the dealer and bought inexpensive blanks and had them cut by my local locksmith. I don't think there were immobilizers on either of my bikes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If you have an immobiliser there will be a flashing red light in, I think, the speedo. So, turn the ignition off, remove the key and stare at the clocks for a bit.
I would imagine that a dealer with the frame number would be able to get a replacement red key
Right, so no red light and it sounds like no immobiliser.

Thanks guys, that's the best news I've had all day! I have just ordered myself a blank key for the lofty sum of 6 quid...

Now I just have to hope that nobody knicks it!
Perhaps I'll purchase a stick-on flashing red light :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Linton West

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000 CBF1000 VFR800
9,162 Posts
The immobilizer light if equipped flashes once a second for 24 hrs. after ignition off. Yes, the red key is permanently programmed to the ECU and if you lose it, you are looking for a new ECU at megadollars. You cannot order a red key.
US bikes did not have immobilizers, Canadian and most Euro bikes do. Absolutely nothing wrong with them, just put the red key in a secure place where you can find it if ever you need to.

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
If you have your key code you can order a factory cut key from this vendor:

Also, these key blanks are much sturdier (harder to bend) than the stock keys from Yamaha. YMMV.

Reactions: JohnC

·
Premium Member
3,551 Posts

·
Premium Member
2007 FJR1300A
1,049 Posts
Even without the keycode tag you can figure out the keycode.
@sentry07 helped me figure out the keycode for mine with a grid overlay on a picture of the key. Sent the picture and numbers to a guy on ebay (cyclekeysonline) and got a perfectly cut replacement key

·
Registered
112 Posts
Post with the photoshop file for decoding your key is here: Key code 2007

Or send me a PM with a picture of your key and I'll decode it for you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts