FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new baby FJR will be here on Thursaday, I'm all emotional! I was within 15 minutes of buying a used 2005 off eBay all the way up in Indiana when my local dealer called me and told me he found me one in Mississippi. I handed him a check last night and today there is a truck on the way to Missi to pick it up.

Just to quickly introduce myself. My name, as seen to the left, is Daniel Hice. I work in computers for the U.S. Gov and am also a professional photographer. Atlanta, GA is where I currently lay my head but I have lived up and down the whole east coast.

The 2006 FJR1300A which will be at my door in a couple days will actually be my first motorcycle, ever. I have been advised in both directions, some say it is a fine bike to learn on, so long as I keep my mind about me, others say I am freaking insane, I am sure several of you will have your own opinions. I am 27 with a 4 year old daughter so I am out of the old theories of driving fast and showing off. I wanted a bike to tour on and enjoy seeing the country side, I believe this is a perfect fit. Anyways I will get running for now and will be posting pics as soon as I get it home.

·
Registered
2,015 Posts
Welcom to the site Daniel. You will learn alot here. There is always a fall ride of FJR owners somewhere around the deals gap area. Its called EOM so watch for it in Aug or Sept.

I'm not gonig to judge you based on your 1st pick for a motorcycle, as I'm assuming you have ridden some in the dirt, so that clutching, shifting, braking and steering are all second nature to you. That being the case , if you take it reeeeeaaaaaalllll easy, till you get used to it, you'll be alright.

Its definitely not the best learner bike. There is so much, that can happen so fast, and go so wrong. A smaller,lighter,less powerful bike may have been a better starter bike.

Anyway, enjoy the bike and your daughter for many years to come. :D

Glenn

You do have all the gear right? Helmet, boots, gloves, Armored pants and jacket etc....

·
Registered
201 Posts
I'm in total ageement with gr8eyes :shock:

top heavy handling at low speeds, personally i'd buy a cheap 500cc to get a bit of road craft prior to taking out the FJR

do take care - risks are not worth it!!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
First motorcycle ever? If so, please, in the interests of your family, get a clapped out dirtbike and spend some time on it. As Gr8eyes mentioned above, clutching, shifting, countersteering and braking has to be second nature... before you face riding on public roads. Your choice of motorcycle isn't an issue, you could become a speed bump on any streetbike... but you really should get fluid on riding first.

:)

·
Registered
172 Posts
Congrats!!!!!!!!!!!!! now, what I want to know is who you bought it from here in Mississippi as there are only 4 that I know of in the state and I have one of them and if you bought yours from one of those guys is it coming from Brandon? or Clinton? or Holly Springs?--I got to know!! :? Kuz it dang sure aint coming from Raymond, MS.

Your first bike? please be careful and take it very slow and may I make a very STRONG suggestion--if I may be so bold---TAKE THE MSF COURSE BEFORE YOU GET OUT ON THE ROAD WITH THIS THING!!!!!!!!!

Ok, I feel better now--good luck and welcome to the collective :wink:

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Wow the responses are scaring the hell out of me! I was being told here that as long as I keep my mind and don't try to ride it like a crotch rocket that I would be perfectly fine. Was also told it is a perfect fit for the style I want to ride. A friend of mine will be teaching me to ride at first because there is at least a 4-5 month waiting line on all riding courses here in ATL and I would prefer to ride this season. I am not a hotdog sorta guy and I have no desire to die anytime soon, nor do I desire to ruin a 13k bike. This was my only available cash so buying another 600cc isn't an option. Are you guys telling me if I ride this I will die or that I need to take extreme caution with a bike of this size, power, etc?

I am not sure what dealer it is coming from Don. My local dealer found it at a dealer in Miss, apparently the guy who ordered it keeps blowing the dealer off with stories of coming in the next day with money. I guess it has been going on for a month so I just bought it out from under him basically. I don't know the story and I'm not involved, just a third party with cash ready.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Ah, so it's a new bike, prolly coming from Hattiesburg Cycle then. I don't think anyone here wants to scare you, but jumping straight into something like this right out of the box and onto the street can be a bit intimidating and very dangerous. Your gonna have an incredable amount of power that can turn very deadly in very short order, like in about 1 second. This below just posted today from another board click and watch--he is a experienced FJR rider:

Atlanta is a very big place w/a heavy population, I know, I go through there on occasion and was born there. Lots and lots of cars, all whom believe the only speed is wide ass open, try to find a place where you can ride away from that enviro, and ease slowly into traffic only after you have absorbed some confidence in your abilities and in understanding and operating this bike. You should be ok, but take baby steps since this is your first bike. The torque and HP will take you from 0 to 100 in just a few seconds, you'll be amazed how fast and far that distance is, particularly when your riding in traffic, it can be very deceptive if you are not use to it. Before learning the throttle---learn the breaks. Again, Congrats on your new toy, Good luck, Ride Safe & be careful!

·
Registered
72 Posts
Hi Daniel, congrats on the new bike!
Totally agree with the rest of the gang. And would also add, seeing that this is your 1st bike: When the butterflies have left your stomach, that the bike suddenly starts to feel lighter and so easy to handle, BEWARE!
That's when we all have a tendency towards mistakes.

At 27, patience is not always the main concern (Wasn't for me :roll: )

So take care and once you've tamed the beast, you'll discover to the fullest what a great buy you made.

Now...I feel better to. Good luck and show us those pics as soon as possible :D

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks man, that video just sealed the deal on my helmet choices :) No chance in hell of an open face...OUCH!

I have my jacket and gloves but haven't decided on a helmet yet. I got the Joe Rocket Super Ego Leather Jacket and Atomic 2.0 Gloves. Any input help on a helmet choice? I am a bigger guy, 6' 1" 230lbs with a big head, definetly need an XL helmet.

·
Registered
172 Posts
I just bought the Nolan N102 in the XL I like it a lot, but, depending on who you ask, you'll get just as many different opinons as to which/best helmets. I suggest since you live in the Atlanta area, you should have a very good selection of shops to try them on, my only recommendation is when you find one you like, leave it on for about 30 min and walk around the store w/it on your head before plopping the cash down, kuz once you go out the door, most wont accept a return. Stay w/either a full face or a modular, get one that "fits"-dont be shy to ask salesman about proper fit, one that is comfortable and has a min. of a DOT rating, and good ventilation--your gonna need it this summer in Atlanta--trust me.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
donaldb said:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=itPi7w3NJ4k
That rider did a classic 'stand up and brake,' on a corner where the bike would've had no trouble making it. His brain made him crash, and he's not a new rider.

Hey Daniel Hice, I'm begging you, learn on a bike in some nice soft grass before you ride on the street. Please. I'm not worried about you killing yourself, but I'll feel like crap if your child has to grow up without a daddy.

I've taught many, many people how to ride, and more often than not, they ride into something... a barn, a tree, a fence, etc. These are capable, smart, athletic people that get a glitch in their coordination... but it happens more often than not. They just freeze on the throttle, or pull the clutch instead of the brake, ETC.

If you don't believe me, please watch this video:

This is what most people look like, learning to ride for the first time. It certainly was me, when I was 6, and my son when he was 4, and my daughter when she was 5, and my wife when she was 22. Do you want to do this on an FJR? Imagine a car coming down that street at 35mph. Maybe the guy would've survived, but maybe without a limb, or maybe not at all.

Like I said before, it's not the choice of bike, it's the process of learning to ride... which, on the street, carries a possible fatal price tag.

- - -

That's all I'm going to say about it. I wish you well.

:)

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Do you like the Nolan quite a bit? I was looking at it and really liked that one. My local dealer was trying to get me in a $700 Shoei but I wasn't buying that I needed something like that.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Daniel,

As you will learn in the MSF course the statistics show that you are most likely to be a statistic if self-taught or a friend teaches you. Take the MSF course now! I know you said that there is a long wait- but this is usually the course run by the State motor vehicle dept. Look for private outfits that do the same thing. Most harley shops actually run the course and use the Buell blasts or equivalent in there courses.

Don't rush into this or you may end up regretting it :oops:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Daniel,
I agree with the rest of the guys that taking the MSF course and spending some time on a lower powered bike would be wise. I bought the 2003 FJR after being away from bikes for over 15 years, but rode a 500cc Ninja for 6 months before trading up. It was time well spent in regaining my skills and doing the MSF course before taking on the power and weight of the FJR. Its a great bike but you have to respect its power. You might want to read one of David Hough's books on motorcycle riding before you get on the bike. He's an expert in bike safety and can give you a lot of quick wisdom about riding.
As far as helmets go, find a helmet that is snug and has good ventilation. I wear a flip lid HJC that I alternate with a full face Shoei X11. The flip lid is convenient but the Shoei is more comfortable for longer rides and has better ventilation.
Ride safe, Ken
PS Welcome to the club

·
Registered
949 Posts
Liquidsilver said:
in the interests of your family, get a clapped out dirtbike and spend some time on it.
The body reacts much more slowly when a conscious decision on a movement must be made. The more time in the saddle the more your body learns about where it should be and what is the appropriate movement. Reflex action generated by numerous past experiences bypasses the decision making process and is a much quicker process of adjustment.

You need to "grow" these reflex connections in a low risk environment. Roadbikes generally rely on good traction with the road. As soon as the bike loses grip handling it is a different ball game - and it all happens real quick.

Liquids advice is absolutely sound. A cheap dirt bike, plenty of padding and safety gear then get out on the dirt at low speed and practise the basics. Then move to dealing with low traction - power slides, braking etc. Theres a lot of people who are vastly more experienced than I am in the world of rider education (in fact probably everyone is) but IMHO having a lot of fun riding the wheels off a dirt bike is a quick way to educate your brain and your body.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Naw..... it a windup, got to be!! no one learns to ride on a FJR, who would insure them? Doubt he would hurt himself though, most likely to have a low speed fall trying to get out of the parking lot, most of us know how unforgiving the FJR is if you slip up at low speed, once its going over you aint stopping it.
If you are for real, I'm suprised but anyway I wish you luck & lots of fun.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Daniel Hice said:
A friend of mine will be teaching me to ride at first....
Can we come and watch? :wink: :lol:

Seriously, if this really is the first bike you have ever ridden then you've got a bloody steep learning curve ahead. I only hope you don't find it too difficult or scare yourself shitless and get put off riding for life.
But good luck anyway, and if you do survive, then I hope you enjoy the ride.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Follow the links to BikeJohnny. Buy the tip over guards and carbon/kevlar bike armor, and install them. No matter how tempting it is to go 'just once around the block' to try it out, install the armor first. It will more than pay for itself.

Big empty parking lot (no light poles, no cars, no concrete tire chocks, no curbs, and surrounded by open fields). First gear, no throttle. Plan on making a day of it, and trying out your, and the bike armor.

Please make a video of your first few training sessions. 8)

Remember, the rules restricting folks with learners permits are there for a reason, and were written specifically to apply to you personally.

Be safe, keep it sane.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts