FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 71 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
Not to mention that they are TOO TALL for a lot of folks! Myself included. :unsure:
Yeah, I agree! That’s why I swore I would never buy one. It’s a two bagger. One bag on the bike and one over my head in case the one on the bike rears off! But I love riding it.

Not to mention that they are TOO TALL for a lot of folks! Myself included. :unsure:
That is one of the nice things about Triumph. They make the GT version that is lower than the Rally version. And they offer a lower seat for it, which I have.

·
Registered
551 Posts
I now have 3,500 miles on my 2023 Tiger 1200 GT Explorer. I’m the guy who’s is on record on two different forums that I would never own an Adventure bike. I’ve had every modern day Sport touring bike except an RT which I have done a 100 mile demo ride on.

I am now officially a convert. My Tiger is better in every functional way than the FJR, and it was one of my all time favorite bikes. I have owned two of them and put a combined 90,000 miles on them.
No offense- glad you like your bike better than the FJR but $23g's for a bike? Uh, no thanks. I can almost buy 2 used 2013 & up gen FJRs for that price.
Lee

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
No offense- glad you like your bike better than the FJR but $23g's for a bike? Uh, no thanks. I can almost buy 2 used 2013 & up gen FJRS for that price.
Lee
Kinda apples to oranges, new price to used. A new 2022 fjr is what - 18K

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
603 Posts
Chuck,

Lithium-ion batteries are doomed; forget that dangerous old junk.. Aluminum solid-state batteries charge in minutes, not hours. They weigh less, cost less, and run farther than today's lithium-ion batteries.. They can be recycled reasonably. Several companies are gearing up. Toyota is changing to solid-state batteries for their hybrids next year. Just hang tough; there is much new battery tech coming soon.
How right you are. Lithium ion batteries are not the end all in battery technology. Check out graphene aluminum ion battery. I mean duhhhh...lithium is not a common earth element but aluminum is. I also find it hard to believe these electric car manufactures will offer the aluminum batteries to consumers to upgrade their cars in use today but they will be happy to sell you a complete new car. I would walk first before I would purchase a Tesla just my humble opinion. I also think the day is coming when all electric vehicles will literally crash in purchase price with the new battery technology even the Ford CEO thinks so.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
No offense- glad you like your bike better than the FJR but $23g's for a bike? Uh, no thanks. I can almost buy 2 used 2013 & up gen FJRs for that price.
Lee
The Tiger 1200 comes in three equipment levels starting closer to the FJR price. Comparing a used price FJR to a new Triumph doesn’t make any sense. They make used Triumphs too 😉

I have great respect for the FJR. That’s why I have owned two of them and have put significantly more miles on FJRs than any other bike. So I’m not dissing the bike.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
I was pretty clear in what I stated. Not much further interpretation needed.
I wouldn't spend $23g's on any bike. Glad he can afford it and glad he likes his ride.
Lee
People will say the same thing about an 18,500 FJR when you can buy a Tracer GT for a few thousand less. I’m frankly amused by people talking about $23,000 or whatever for a motorcycle being a lot. Most people on this forum probably own a $40-50,000 and more car and in many cases put more miles on their motorcycle.

I have three motorcycles and a $53,000 car. I put more miles a year on each one of my motorcycles than I do on my car. So spending $23k on my Triumph actually makes a lot of sense. It is less than half the price of my car.

I get that not everyone can or should spend as much as I did. When I started riding 50 years ago my dad loaned me the money for a used 175 Honda. It took me many years to get to where I am.

Reactions: Donk

·
Registered
26 Posts
jjscsix, to your point, I have a 2016 FJR1300ES, 2007 FZ-1 and a 2020 Corvette C8 that I bought brand new. I still enjoy riding the bikes more and put more miles on the FJR than the others. Having said that I won't pay 23k on a bike but then again I am a cheap bastard. Glad you like your Tiger. A fellow at work has one and he loves it.

·
Registered
1,018 Posts
jjscsix, to your point, I have a 2016 FJR1300ES, 2007 FZ-1 and a 2020 Corvette C8 that I bought brand new. I still enjoy riding the bikes more and put more miles on the FJR than the others. Having said that I won't pay 23k on a bike but then again I am a cheap bastard. Glad you like your Tiger. A fellow at work has one and he loves it.
Congrats on the C8. I have had seven Corvettes, my last a 2009 Z06. A neighbor just bought a C8 and has promised me a ride.

Reactions: Sloppy

·
Registered
987 Posts
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Plant Automotive fuel system

If not the Norden then my KTM 890 Adventure. They are the same underneath the plastics.
If not either of those then the '20 KTM 1290 Super Adventure I lowered.
If none of the above a '10-'13 RT
I've yet to ride the new Africa Twin but suspect its a nice bike. Mostly I think the red white and blue paint is sharp. Also easy to get my feet on the ground.

·
Registered
987 Posts
If you think the price of a new bike is a shocker, as I do, it's proof positive that you're getting old!

My feeling is this regarding the price of bikes. New bikes do seem stupid expensive to me. That said as long as it's not taking food off the table or causing insomnia worrying about the money then why not? You got to do what feels right for you. Life is short and you never know when you may find out it's going to be shorter. Nothing wrong with used bikes I've owned plenty, nothing wrong with new bikes I've owned a few. Pick the one that puts a smile on your face and you really enjoy riding and it's worth whatever you paid. Get a great deal on a bike you're miserable with and it isn't a great deal at all. I know, I've done both! Bought the 890 Adventure new and I love riding it and it always puts a big smile on my face. Best bike I've ever owned. Don't regret buying new. Bought the KLR used and I'm having a blast riding it and it puts a big smile on my face too. I worried that I paid too much but in the end I'm real happy with the bike and the deal. Don't regret buying used. No wrong answer here it's what works for you.

For further financial advice, investment strategies, motorcycle oil and tire opinions, beach chairs, beach balls, and umbrellas, plus political commentary I can be reached at.................:)

61 - 71 of 71 Posts