FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
41 - 60 of 71 Posts

·
Premium Member
503 Posts
Well, in my opinion, all adventure bikes are ugly. There. I said it. ;)

Not to mention that they are TOO TALL for a lot of folks! Myself included. :unsure:

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A, 2003 FZ1 "Bee"
774 Posts
Also do likey the Gen 1 FZ1 and is why I got another back in the collection. Still looking for a "skunk" edition too....
But IMO ( me, my, mine ) it's hard to beat a 'Busa ST.
Goes like stink, actually as comfy if not more comfy than FJR, and did I say goes like stink ?!!

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Also do likey the Gen 1 FZ1 and is why I got another back in the collection. Still looking for a "skunk" edition too....
But IMO ( me, my, mine ) it's hard to beat a 'Busa ST.
Goes like stink, actually as comfy if not more comfy than FJR, and did I say goes like stink ?!!
You reminded me about one of my other dream bikes - the B King set up for touring
Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
I have a nice Fazer8 for sale...... baby brother to the FZ1. Sweet powertrain.

Tire Wheel Fuel tank Vehicle Automotive lighting

I lusted after this FZ1 at a local dealer, I've never seen another one like it....... then I got an insurance quote...... classed as supersport here, insurance is double that of a sport tourer.

Tire Fuel tank Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle

Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
I don't think that we got the Fazer8 here in the US, just the FZ6. Can't say that I have ever seen a FZ1 Bee with the lower fairings on it. Seems to be a pretty rare option on the FZ1.

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
The Bee was a 2003...... The US got the FZ8, a naked version of the Fazer.

·
Registered
2013 FJR1300A, 2003 FZ1 "Bee"
774 Posts
I don't think that we got the Fazer8 here in the US, just the FZ6. Can't say that I have ever seen a FZ1 Bee with the lower fairings on it. Seems to be a pretty rare option on the FZ1.
Aftermarket lowers, not a Yamaha catalog item.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Aftermarket lowers, not a Yamaha catalog item.
Ah. Was the factory full fairing only on the Gen 2? Could have swore it was something you could get on a Gen 1

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
I went a-searchin'........... according to this there was a Yammy kit........ also some offerings from Pyramid Plastics......

·
Premium Member
2,077 Posts
I didn't care for the full body work on my Gen 2 but I did like the wind shield I put on...
Land vehicle Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Motorcycle

·
Registered
2003 FJR1300R / 2007 Husq SMR 510
945 Posts
I have a nice Fazer8 for sale...... baby brother to the FZ1. Sweet powertrain.

View attachment 88878

I lusted after this FZ1 at a local dealer, I've never seen another one like it....... then I got an insurance quote...... classed as supersport here, insurance is double that of a sport tourer.

View attachment 88879
$129 a year down here. Do you HAVE to have Canadian insurance?

·
Premium Member
Versys 1000, VFR800
11,621 Posts
Insurance is mandatory to get licence plates, and in Ontario we pay some of the highest rates (could rant all day). No sense even comparing to your system.... typical FJR insurance is ~$1000, and the FZ1 quote was $1800.

• Wow
Reactions: Oldjeep

·
Registered
356 Posts
Insurance is mandatory to get licence plates, and in Ontario we pay some of the highest rates (could rant all day). No sense even comparing to your system.... typical FJR insurance is ~$1000, and the FZ1 quote was $1800.
Shop those rates around, and bundle house & car.
Buddy pays $580/yr for his FZ1.
My fjr is $780, full coverage.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
Electric. The Lightning Strike, standard model, or something similar, even if I have to re-engine a rolling chassis. With the new-tech batteries (not available just yet), it should be all I need.

https://lightningmotorcycles.com/strike

As is, the Strike (if available) is fast enough, light enough, cheap enough, aerodynamic, modern, decent range, on-board charger, can use the regular car charging stations, and quiet. It's just not easy to vanish, if the Popo can hear you a mile away. An electric bike needs no gasoline, no engine oil, no filters. It has no valves, no spark plugs, no clutch, no transmission, and no emissions. Just add tires to suit, and power.

I really like my FJR, but when the day comes when I can no longer fix it (which may be parts problems, or uneducated labor problems), I would hope to never again buy an ICE bike. If we had to start today from a clean slate, then the manufacturing costs, the parts needed, the infrastructure needed, , and the on-going operating costs for an ICE vehicle would get you laughed out of the board room.

·
Registered
2007 FJR1300A
3,212 Posts
Until you can figure out how to get me a second 200 miles without sitting around for hours, the electric bike is not a touring machine. Wouldn't mind one around town - maybe.

·
Registered
FJR1300A 2008
2,152 Posts
Until you can figure out how to get me a second 200 miles without sitting around for hours, the electric bike is not a touring machine. Wouldn't mind one around town - maybe.
Chuck,

Lithium-ion batteries are doomed; forget that dangerous old junk.. Aluminum solid-state batteries charge in minutes, not hours. They weigh less, cost less, and run farther than today's lithium-ion batteries.. They can be recycled reasonably. Several companies are gearing up. Toyota is changing to solid-state batteries for their hybrids next year. Just hang tough; there is much new battery tech coming soon.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Chuck,

Lithium-ion batteries are doomed; forget that dangerous old junk.. Aluminum solid-state batteries charge in minutes, not hours. They weigh less, cost less, and run farther than today's lithium-ion batteries.. They can be recycled reasonably. Several companies are gearing up. Toyota is changing to solid-state batteries for their hybrids next year. Just hang tough; there is much new battery tech coming soon.
We shall see. And it also depends of your definition of soon. The electric m/c industry has turned out to be a whole lot of foreplay but not much action. They are heavy bikes that have no range. And good luck finding charging stations in the mountains.

41 - 60 of 71 Posts