FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
61 - 66 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Yeah, I can't wait 'till I have to do my first valve check. I don't mind the check but I think it would be a two day adventure if I had to make an adjustment and if I did I probably would set them all and just a touch on the loose side of nominal. One thing I love about my BMW is valve adjusts that I do during an oil change and I'm done while the oil is still dripping from the crank case. Thank god it's not a new Beemer. Grrrrrrr..not going there not in this lifetime, nope!

Reactions: passx

·
Registered
155 Posts
I totally forgot to mention another change Yamaha made when it comes to cheapening the FJR on the gen3 machines that being building the front subframe out of brittle pot metal rather than welded steel tubing. So, don't drop your gen3 on its side else you might just crack the front subframe when the rear view mirrors hits the dirt and you get to have loads of fun changing out the subframe. Yamaha probably promoted this change as weight savings. Yeah right!
That is the ONLY thing I agree with you on about Gen 2 to Gen 3 getting worse. As far as I am concerned, the gauges on the Gen 2 are the worst. Hard to see, and move/vibrate with the windscreen if it is moving. Other negatives of Gen 2: '06 and '07 don't have the updated ABS brakes and had their own issues. Going back to the reduced effort clutch slave cylinder didn't happen until the '09 model. And then there is the wiring harness fiasco with the ground spiders. I am not positive on this, but I don't think that was fixed from the factory (not requiring the recall repair) until 2012. Also for me, after trying to live with the stock suspension on my Gen II, I HAD to upgrade forks and shock. Whereas my stock ES suspension on my '14 and '17 is great.

Don't get me wrong, I love my '09 FJR and have put 140k miles on it. But the Gen III+ offers a lot of refinement and AFAIAC, is a much better FJR. Now that being said, I still LOVE to ride my Gen I '04 FJR as it is less refined and a bit rougher around the edges and more FUN.

·
Registered
547 Posts
Timely thread. I've been looking for a 2013-2015 FJR, for much the same reasons already stated.

Going to go look at a 2015 this afternoon.
I know the feeling. :D

Reactions: DesertBike

·
Registered
74 Posts
Get them while they last. I bought mine (2015) Friday and rode it home yesterday.

Once I had dinner and a chance to relax for a while, we went out on my new to me FJR. SO is much happier on the back vs. my existing Vstrom. Heck she's even more comfortable than she was on my previous Vstrom, on which I had upgraded the suspension. One reason I got the ES model is the easy suspension adjustment between 1- and 2-up riding.

61 - 66 of 66 Posts