FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
318 Posts
I have seen a lot of folks replaced the FJR mirrors with the FZ ones, but I've wondered why? Is there a reason to do this other than having broken the FJR ones?
The FJR I just bought came with FZ mirrors. I will say the view to the rear and behind is fantastic. I've read where the stockers can get some elbows in the view.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
I have seen a lot of folks replaced the FJR mirrors with the FZ ones, but I've wondered why? Is there a reason to do this other than having broken the FJR ones?
Check out post #67 and 69 in this thread:
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/31...152429-new-guy-just-bought-14-fjr1300a-7.html

Because for many, definitely for me, the stock mirrors end up showing your arms and elbows no matter how you adjust them, literally blocking close to 40% of the view behind.

The FZ1 mirrors stick out an inch or two further on each end, and provide a MUCH better view of the entire road behind - REALLY happy I made the switch, as the stock mirrors had huge blind spots.

·
Super Moderator
2007A, 2013A
8,350 Posts
https://www.fjrowners.com/forums/31...152429-new-guy-just-bought-14-fjr1300a-7.html

Because for many, definitely for me, the stock mirrors end up showing your arms and elbows no matter how you adjust them, literally blocking close to 40% of the view behind.

The FZ1 mirrors stick out an inch or two further on each end, and provide a MUCH better view of the entire road behind - REALLY happy I made the switch, as the stock mirrors had huge blind spots.
Unless of course if you ride and commute at night like I do. Then having blocked head lights behind you is a blessing. I would definitely hate the fz1 mirrors.

·
Registered
13 Posts

Thanks for the link to the other post Red. I plan to look into a set of FZ1 mirrors for my 2015 FJR.

·
Registered
343 Posts
They are about 25# less horsepower than an FJR, but nearly 200# less weight

Here's my first gen headed out for a trip to West Virginia. I use a smaller cut down windshield to keep the wind off my chest and my head in clean air.

Only the Gen 1's are less hp at 125hp. The Gen he's got actually has 5more at about 150hp. I do think they have less torque because of the smaller displacement though. But from what I've heard, with breather mods etc they are more powerful than even the MT-10 which is dumb fast.

·
Registered
111 Posts
My son has a Fazer 8. It is very similar to the FZ1. I wouldn't be surprised if you could put the larger motor into it. He quite likes the bike. It ticks all the boxes. He managed to score a used Akrapovic exhaust for it. He originally bought a 2013 although he was smitten with the 2012 white. He was able to buy a 13 for the same money as a Toronto dealer wanted for a left over 2012. A mishap with a deer totaled the bike and he found a very low mileage 2012 that he originally wanted.

Attachments

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
Haven't looked into this yet - hoping being a middle aged, married guy with a clean driving record, and the fact that I only carry Liability ins plus a bit of extra for medical payments (for myself - if needed) will keep the premiums fairly low.

Bought it private party, have a signed over title, but our DMV is backed up 3 months, and "works" by appt only, so until I can snag an appt someone else cancelled, I am relegated to riding around my neighborhood in first and second gear. It's a HUGE ticket if caught riding an unregistered vehicle, so don't want to risk it, especially as I have the FJR to ride.
If collision is too crazy at least look at comprehensive. It would cover the occasional deer strike if nothing else ;)

·
Registered
147 Posts
I had everything I own insured with State Farm, including 3 motorcycles. The insurance was crazy expensive. State Farm doesn't like motorcycles and doesn't want the business. I went with Dairyland and insured all 3 bikes for what State Farm charged for one. I have full coverage with $500 deduct.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts