1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,495 Posts
Nice lookin!!!! Sweet ride.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Awesome. I had 2 Gen 1 FZ-1's. Terrific bikes. You will undoubtedly enjoy it.

Reactions: smokamoto

·
Registered
650 Posts
Nice! Congrats

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
I tried to like one a year ago, the insurance was astronomical because here it is classed as supersport. There went that idea...... Yours looks gorgeous blue and black!!

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to like one a year ago, the insurance was astronomical because here it is classed as supersport. There went that idea...... Yours looks gorgeous blue and black!!
Haven't looked into this yet - hoping being a middle aged, married guy with a clean driving record, and the fact that I only carry Liability ins plus a bit of extra for medical payments (for myself - if needed) will keep the premiums fairly low.

Bought it private party, have a signed over title, but our DMV is backed up 3 months, and "works" by appt only, so until I can snag an appt someone else cancelled, I am relegated to riding around my neighborhood in first and second gear. It's a HUGE ticket if caught riding an unregistered vehicle, so don't want to risk it, especially as I have the FJR to ride.

·
Registered
247 Posts

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
Wish my old body would fit around one of those.
It doesn't have sport bike ergonomics. I actually had put lower bar risers on mine. Used to do 1500 mile week long trips on it. Exhaust, Ivan's flash, hundreds of dollars worth of titanium and carbon fiber, and every performance piece you can think of.

Viciously fast. Enjoy, it's a great bike.

BTW those brackets that appear to be hanging down under the passenger grab rails I made to keep soft saddle bags off the paint. Also had quick release buckles by the foot peg mounts.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
The 06 Gen 2's had horrible fueling, Almost un-rideable, but Yamaha got it figured out by 2009.

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It doesn't have sport bike ergonomics. I actually had put lower bar risers on mine. Used to do 1500 mile week long trips on it. Exhaust, Ivan's flash, hundreds of dollars worth of titanium and carbon fiber, and every performance piece you can think of.

Viciously fast. Enjoy, it's a great bike.

BTW those brackets that appear to be hanging down under the passenger grab rails I made to keep soft saddle bags off the paint. Also had quick release buckles by the foot peg mounts.
That was a sharp looking bike you had!

Take it that you no longer have it?

I know lots of guys put taller windscreens on them and soft bags and use them like an FJR, but to me it feels like a much tighter cockpit - and I'm not particularly tall or big either (5'11" 190 lbs).

Had done a TON of reading about the FZ1, as it was one of the bikes I was looking at when my FJR came up on Craigslist, but had never actually sat on one (had sat on FJR's in dealers, and actually seen them more often, so they must be more common). To me, coming back to cycling after more than 2 decades off, and then having ridden my FJR for almost 3 months and 1500 miles, the FZ1 feels very light and compact, smaller than the 750's I used to ride, (thinking of my beloved '82 V45 Sabre, that I rode across the country in the late 80's - but was actually quite the pig, almost 550 lbs wet, with a very high center of gravity). I will have to put them right next to each other and get some good pics to post up.

As far as being viciously fast? Haven't had a chance to fully test it out, but I am definitely a believer!

And I've actually only had it up to about 50 (test rode it in the sellers neighborhood, then had him ride it to my house where we did the transaction, and have rode it in mine), but can already tell it is a completely different animal than the FJR! The online reviews talk about the lack of power down low - lol it feels plenty fast to me - but once the RPM's climb, there is a definite surge of power as it skyrockets towards that 12k RPM redline. Actually scared myself a little as I was just on a neighborhood street, lol, and I shifted at 10k.....

Reactions: FJRChuck

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
They are about 25# less horsepower than an FJR, but nearly 200# less weight

Here's my first gen headed out for a trip to West Virginia. I use a smaller cut down windshield to keep the wind off my chest and my head in clean air.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
The 06 Gen 2's had horrible fueling, Almost un-rideable, but Yamaha got it figured out by 2009.
Mine was an '06. You're absolutely right. You had to be very conscience of being smooth with the throttle. And I had gone up 2 teeth in the rear too, made it more "twitchy" than "responsive". But flashing the ECU fixed all that.

·
Registered
575 Posts
That’s a wicked nice bike. Not sure where you live but most places if you have a copy of all the paperwork and proof of an appointment the police will leave you alone. They realize what a delay there is trying to get anything done. Gen1 May have been a little more comfortable but Gen2 handled so much better.

·
Premium Member
7,740 Posts
Try State Farm; my insurance actually went down from a two year older Kawi Ninja 1000.
You don't understand the insurance biz here.... long story. State Farm will quote you an even more ridiculous price unless you have everything insured with them.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Nice lookin scoot.

BTW, for those that are interested. The rear view mirrors in Ferret's pic (Gen I FZ) are direct bolt on replacements for the FJR's.

·
Premium Member
127 Posts
They are about 25# less horsepower than an FJR, but nearly 200# less weight

Here's my first gen headed out for a trip to West Virginia. I use a smaller cut down windshield to keep the wind off my chest and my head in clean air.

Seneca Rock? Great riding area. Guys ride all the way to Tail of the Dragon, mostly so they can say they've done it, but there are roads in Va. & W Va. that rival it. I'll take Back of the Dragon any day.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Good eye. Yea Seneca Rock. Riding in Va and West Va is great and we ride down there every other year or so.

I miss my Gen 1 FZ. One of my good riding buddies just picked up one with low miles for next to nothing. Not even due for its first valve check yet lol. ( He had a Bee and a skunk before hd got this one)

Reactions: Whooshka

·
Registered
13 Posts
It is the same here in MI. I checked with our insurance person and they told me if you have insurance, the signed title (I carried a copy so I didn't risk losing it) and the paper showing you have an appointment with you motor vehicle office, the cops won't hassle you for not having a plate. I also asked a local officer I saw out riding one day this summer and he confirmed that they are not pulling folks over for not being plated. They might pull you over for something else but they shouldn't issue a ticket if you can provide all the papers. Check with your own insurance and the local police. I bet it's similar.

·
Registered
13 Posts
But why change the mirrors?

Nice lookin scoot.

BTW, for those that are interested. The rear view mirrors in Ferret's pic (Gen I FZ) are direct bolt on replacements for the FJR's.
I have seen a lot of folks replaced the FJR mirrors with the FZ ones, but I've wondered why? Is there a reason to do this other than having broken the FJR ones?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts