FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want to buy a 2006 fjr1300a, but I don't want to pay MSRP! Who here has a 2006 fjr? What did you pay? I'm in Colorado and am finding a lot of dealers that want MSRP plus freight and tax and fees. WTF? I can't imagine paying MSRP for a bike...

What is everyone else experiencing? Anyone know where I can find one for less than MSRP?

Should I just wait till used fjr's start showing up on ebay? I've seen a lot of 2005's showing up on ebay for under 10k.

·
Registered
949 Posts
Competition between dealers brings prices down. Put together a list of dealers that you are prepared to travel to and actually meet with them. When the first dealer cracks with a lower price (and you can invent a low price to get things started) then you keep doing the rounds until you or the dealers have had enough. Get the progressive deals / prices written on their business card or company letterhead. The key is to meet in person and appear committed to buying...........how hard you want to play the game is up to you but remember the potential for revenge "on costs" with servicing if you piss people off by not leaving a little "dignity" in the deal for the salesperson / dealer.

·
Registered
69 Posts
2006 fjr

With all the good write ups on the 06 you may have an availability problem. The 06 is much superior to the 05. good luck Everett

·
Registered
37 Posts
Re: I want to buy a 2006 fjr1300a, but I don't want to pay M

Devin said:
I want to buy a 2006 fjr1300a, but I don't want to pay MSRP! Who here has a 2006 fjr? What did you pay? I'm in Colorado and am finding a lot of dealers that want MSRP plus freight and tax and fees. WTF? I can't imagine paying MSRP for a bike...

Let me get this straight. You want a bike that is only brought into North America through a Priority Delivery Program that everyone else had to place a $500 dollar non refundable deposit on 6 months before delivery of the bike. AND you want NOT to pay MSRP! :crylarf:

The only reason any 06 FJR's are available is because some money hungry dealer used a false name to order it just for the occassion that someone will want the bike bad enough long after the PDP ended. Now I'm not saying that they should legalize rape, but if your dumb enough to bend over in front a sex offender....well just brace yourself. 8)

Or order an 07 in October.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The dealer in Roseville, CA wanted $18,000 plus $1500 for market adjustment on their FJR1300AE. The other local dealer in Sacramento was selling them for msrp.
Kinda like the 2006 Corvette Z06, some dealers are getting 15-30K above sticker.

·
Registered
75 Posts
$11,900 Champion Cycle - Chicago, IL

That's what I got mine for, but did have to pay a $599 setup fee - so I guess I got the bike for $12,500 (not including taxes, but everybody pays taxes.) Like lenz said, go to multiple dealers and act like you're going to buy it there

Perhaps you could get a deal if you order some extras with the bike and the dealer may cut you a deal.

But like what a lot of buyers on this website said, the 06 is very popular and they are going fast. Lot of people had to wait months to wait for theirs. So I wouldn't feel ripped off if I did have to pay MSRP.

Good luck with the hunt

·
Registered
60 Posts
Come to Canada and buy one. Euro spec bikes up here too. I lucked in and picked mine off the showroom floor 3 days out of the crate, no PDP, about CAD$1k below MSRP. But that's still about USD$2500 above the US MSRP. I'd be happy to be able to buy one for US MSRP, let alone USD$11900, even with the exchange, if I could get it across the border without all the duties, tariffs and mods to meet Canadian standards.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Ok thanks for all the replies.

I guess I'm very happy that I'm not in Canada.

I should be hearing from yet another dealer on Friday. Hopefully I can cut some sort of deal.

Does anyone know if Yamaha will be doing the priority delivery program on the 07 model? (or will nobody know till October)

BTW, what is up with doing the priority delivery program as long as they have??? I'm sure Yamaha is doing plenty of business. Why continue to put so many potential buyers through hell?

For all of you that replied that have the 06 already (I'm very jealous); HOW DO YOU LIKE YOUR NEW FJR1300???????

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
Re: I want to buy a 2006 fjr1300a, but I don't want to pay M

Devin said:

What is everyone else experiencing? Anyone know where I can find one for less than MSRP?

Should I just wait till used fjr's start showing up on ebay? I've seen a lot of 2005's showing up on ebay for under 10k.
Where were you when the PdP window opened around the first of the year? THAT'S when the deals were to be made. Now that the window's snapped shut any bike that was pre-ordered (but backed out of) will be bringing a premium.

As for putting people "through hell", it actually means that those people willing to shop around, put down the deposit, and wait a little bit, can make a great deal. Often $1500 (or more?) below MSRP. Pretty good little return for your investment, eh?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I got a deal on my FJR [email protected] $14,000. When they added shipping, tax and tags it came to $15,382. So I virtually got it for MSRP OTD. I think it helped that I had purchased a 2005 FJR from them less than a year ago.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Because of my broken collarbone not healing yet and back surgery soon on my mother, my unridden 2006 may be for sale. I will decide by July 15th. You will have to come to NE Oklahoma to get it.

Harvey
[email protected]

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
big papa said:
The bikes aren't that exclusive...
http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/1/0/81609510.htm
Do your homework, find a shop that ordered their own for the sales floor, be ready to travel...
My local dealer had 3 05's on the floor last year, when many were still waiting. The sales kid had seen so many FJRs, he didn't know they were supposed to be order only. Don't be a waiter.
Watch to see if you are the first owner or if they are transferring a title from a "ghost" owner to you (used). Often the latter is the case with floor models because they bought through PdP on spec and are required, by Yamaha, to transfer ownership within 15 days of delivery. The fall out is that the clock is already ticking on warranty before you buy it. If they falsified Yamaha documents to get a PdP for a floor model, and informed buyer might just be able to get a SIGNIFICANT discount.

BTW: My $9999.00 out the door (TT&L back in my home state later on) seems better and better.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I called them and they told me they didn't have one single extra and they had over 30 people waiting, hence why I bought it local and spent a couple grand more :(

·
Registered
87 Posts
If you want to wait 6 months to a year, shop around for a deal. I could have gotten a deal and put on the PDP and still don't know when the bike would have come in. Found out last month the dealer was getting a "dealer's bike" in in Aug. and was not willing to cut a deal, had to pay MSRP. I put $500 down then and just got the call that they shipped the bike early and it is in now. Will be ready for pick up by Wed.

So I guess, it is up to you how fast you want it.

Mike

1 - 20 of 51 Posts