FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For years, I have been a Castrol user. Back in the old days, straight weights, then light multi weights in my cars, and 90 % of the time 10/40 or 20/50 in my motorcycles. I have it in my lawnmower too.

Now, I do not work for Castrol, or sell oil.

But in all my years of using oil, I never had a oil related problem with any vehicle using plain old Castrol.

I do regular oil changes, use good filters and now stick magnets on my filters.

Question: Is one oil really better than another in normal service with regular changes????

Local MC shop wants to sell me some expensive oil "just for motorcycles" Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. My FJR is water cooled, like my car.

All I can say is why??? Why spend more than three times as much for some super oil over Castrol.

Am I missing something?

·
Registered
12 Posts
My BIG important question is... How critical is it that the oil has a few or [ALL] the API -SE/SF/SG rateings? I dont know what each of these rateings do for a motor or trans. :?

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Changed my engine oil with good old Castrol GTX, and Mobil syn rear gear oil.

I expect no problems.

Bike shifts better and runs smoother then with the watery overfilled oil that was in the engine, and now my rear actually HAS lube in it.

Total cost : Under $30 and I have gear oil left over for next drop.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts