FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
This guy is just an idiot making a very common mistake. He is over generalizing assuming that all motorcyclists ride the way that he describes in his article. I agree that people who choose to ride carelessly at high speeds, popping wheelies and weaving in and out of traffic are a hazard. But that doesn't mean that all motorcyclists ride this way. I have never popped a wheelie, on purpose or otherwise. I would just say that he probably doesn't spend much time around people that know how to ride safely and that is why he feels the way he does. Ignorance is bliss, cager!!!

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
Another troubled soul, crying out for attention.

I'm not giving it to him. :|

:)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Airing of grievances
Douglas Simpson
Managing Editor

"To quote Seinfeld’s Frank Costanza at Festivus dinner, now is the time for the airing of grievances.

Usually there’s one hot topic to prompt me to write a column, as my fingers angrily dance across the keyboard. But there are a few things that are, well, bugging me that I need to address.

Here they are, in no particular order:

1. Motorcycles. Why are these things street legal? I challenge anyone out there to remember a time they saw a motorcycle that was driving the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws.

When I see them, they are usually going about 120 mph down I-35E, weaving in and out of lanes like those white lines are just there for show.

Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic, only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about 40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me.

I’ll never forget the time I was driving down the George Bush around 10 p.m., when all of a sudden scorching down the road were not only about five motorcycles driving erratically, but they were all riding on their back tires. Popping a wheelie while doing 80 mph down a public roadway: stupid.

I remember a few years back, I think after Gary Busey had his bad motorcycle wreck, there was a public service announcement asking motorists to “keep an eye open for motorcyclists,” like they are being abused by us car and truck drivers.

I remember telling the TV, “I’ll look out for them as soon as they start obeying traffic laws.” I’m still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game.

Our police officers do a good job, I just hope they pay a little extra attention to the wheelie-popping idiots that are making the roadways dangerous for all of us."

I had to print or show this cuz they pulled it!!! There are several motorcycle webs sites e-mailing and calling in to complain, and they pulled it. I suggest keep doing it so this jerk can get fired!!]
Click the link, it's gone :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
71 Posts
condone genocide because 5 of said race offend.. :?

and he's the editor !

must be his dad owns the paper...

makes as much sense as outlawing guns....

·
Registered
3,589 Posts
basilbug said:
I had to print or show this cuz they pulled it!!! There are several motorcycle webs sites e-mailing and calling in to complain, and they pulled it.
Glad you posted it as I couldn't read it. Yeah, the guy has issues. Any one that wants to open a door on a filtering bike is just a jerk. What difference could it possibly make to him? He's just mad cause the bike is moving and he's not. Typical reaction of a loser, "if someone's doing something I don't like, even if it doesn't affect me, they must be stopped, maybe even killed."

Now, I don't like to see the guys doing crazy wheelies in traffic. It gives responsible wheelie practitioners a bad name.

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
20valves said:
It gives responsible wheelie practitioners a bad name.
Aww, where's OCFJR when we need a good popcorn-eating verbal battle. :cry:

(I agree, too :wink: )

·
Registered
949 Posts
basilbug said:
Airing of grievances
Douglas Simpson
Managing Editor

1. Motorcycles. Why are these things street legal? I challenge anyone out there to remember a time they saw a motorcycle that was driving the speed limit and adhering to all traffic laws.

When I see them, they are usually going about 120 mph down I-35E, weaving in and out of lanes like those white lines are just there for show.

Nothing irks me more than sitting in dense 5 p.m. or Friday traffic, only to see a motorcycle driving between the rows of cars, going about 40 mph. I want so badly to open my car door just before they reach me.

I'll never forget the time I was driving down the George Bush around 10 p.m., when all of a sudden scorching down the road were not only about five motorcycles driving erratically, but they were all riding on their back tires. Popping a wheelie while doing 80 mph down a public roadway: stupid.

I remember telling the TV, "I'll look out for them as soon as they start obeying traffic laws." I'm still waiting, so in my eyes, they are fair game.

Our police officers do a good job, I just hope they pay a little extra attention to the wheelie-popping idiots that are making the roadways dangerous for all of us."
Mr Simpson displays and encourages all the abberant social tendencies to be expected of a frustrated coward bent on retribution for some imagined act against him. His approach of opening a door on filtering motorcycles is the act of a cretin indulging in a hissy fit. Perhaps he doesn't understand that a bike is more stable with a little speed on it.

Encouraging the use of a vehicle as a lethal weapon raises pertinent issues of self defence. Some less sanguine folk tend to react very directly to open threats on their personal safety. While I am not offering support for "responding with lethal force in self defence" Mr Simpson and any sympathisers may want to rethink the "tantrum response" where private gun ownership is common. Have a look at this site - Mr Simpson should too:

http://www.chuckhawks.com/motorcycle_firearms.htm

As to why he questions the legality of motorcycles given the potential for abuse - hell we might as well all roll up and hide in the corner from baseball / cricket bats, hockey sticks and sharpened pencils.

From a safety perspective of a rider who has survived to almost 50 in spite of efforts by other road users, I do believe there is a small percentage of motorcyclists who have no understanding of the common sense concept of "Relative Risk" that I raised in the "Top Speed" thread. My only thought these days when I see someone pull a stunt in traffic is "I hope they've filled out the YES option in the organ donor section of their license"

Mr Simpson and sympathisers run the risk of damages claims fought out in court, being dragged out of the car and beaten until he cheers up, summary justice by firearm or all of the above. He's a f#cking coward.

Lenz

·
Super Moderator
3,956 Posts
His article was pulled some time yesterday. That didn't keep me from writing a letter to his bosses once I got home. I casually mentioned how he and his paper might be considered accessories to any criminal act their readers might perpetrate against a motorcyclists.

·
Registered
448 Posts
That guy needs to go on a long motorcycle trip and chill out 8)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
bounce said:
His article was pulled some time yesterday. That didn't keep me from writing a letter to his bosses once I got home. I casually mentioned how he and his paper might be considered accessories to any criminal act their readers might perpetrate against a motorcyclists.
Very well said bounce. Several other motorcycle web sites have also said the same thing. They told the paper if a door opends up on them, the paper is liable and will be sued. You don't even know where to start with this jerk. There are so many things I caould say, but I just kept it real simple.
If you know of any more motorcycle web sites, please send to them so the paper can get more than a mouth full.
Thanks Basilbug.....

·
Registered
7,364 Posts
lenz said:
Geez Lenz, I'm a gun nut and that article sounds spooky to me. I guess it just seems like a logical fallacy that I could ever be in a situation where I needed to be firing WHILE riding the motorcycle. I mean, I could outrun almost any vehicle on the planet on my kid's XR...

Now when I'm stopped at a remote vista taking in the view, and the van-load of drunk gypsies pulls up and starts cussing at me (for no reason) and throwing their beer cans at me... THEN I'm wanting to have the Pachmyrs where I could get 'em if I needed. Unfortunately, inconsistent gun laws from state to state, and different licensing from county to county, make 'carrying' too big a hassle for me to consider.

Uh sorry, that's another subject for another post...

·
Registered
192 Posts
not so nice letter

Obviously, a very open minded intelligent gentleman :crylarf: Maybe he should be the a diplomat in charge of working with iran or iraq

·
Registered
52 Posts
Idiot newspaper Editor

Hi All,

That newspaper editor is a total arsehole!! The scarry thing is that he is the editor of a newspaper and will undoubtedly have influence with his readers. No wonder the world is so f----d up when we have a total dick like this guy making such harmful, and stupid statements. Could go on but won't, gonna mail the moron instead, hope he tries to sue me?!

Rgards, Glenn 8)

·
Registered
372 Posts
This asshat has suddenly just become famous, he probably would choose now to reconsider his thoughts and comments. It never fails to amaze me that when people get frustrated with the actions of others they can quickly look to violence or actions that could lead to injury or death.
Simpson may be an editor of a rag, but he clearly demonstrates that he has control issues, and rather than keep them to himself, he uses his paper to gain support for his perspective on what is a totally inappropriate response based on the actions of a very small proportion of the motorcycling community. The generalizing that occurs is a dangerous as racism and plants the seed for response in the minds of those with similar response/control issues. This is a very dangerous individual and he should be charged with inciting hate.
This cretin will not be reading his emails, his mind is closed. The only way he will understand the significance of his actions is to be charge.
That is my 2 cents worth, now I will get off the soap box and let the next rider up.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I have just sent a letter to the editor that I would be interested to see if it gets printed.
Here it is:
Regarding Doug Simpson's Column on motorcyclists:
I believe it is total irresponsible to suggest responding to motorcyclists by opening the car door. By suggesting this, and generalizing about motorcyclists he has fueled the minds of individuals like himself who have serious control issues. He and the newspaper could now be held legally responsible if such and incident were to occur. His lack of judgement in publishing his thoughts parallels his lack of judgement in a situation as he describes, that could result in serious injury or death to a rider. I do not condone reckless behaviour by motorcyclists, I have been a rider for 38 years. But I find the reckless behavour by Managing Editor of this newspaper criminal.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts