FJR Owners Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
UPDATE - I BOUGHT A 2014 FJR
So... I finally sold my Old-Man Gold Wing and on 2021.10.30 I purchased a pristine 2014 FJR 1300 A with only 1838 miles on it. I trailered it home (about 4.5 hours each way) and completed an oil change and final drive fluid change as well as gas tank drain and fill. It was nearly perfect. The only item that needed attention was a missing nut from one of the two left mirror mounting bolts inside the fairing. It seems this particular factory nut has a nasty habit of vibrating loose or in my case off. So, for 40 cents and 20 minutes of labor, I replace the nut with one that won't vibrate loose. Otherwise, this FJR was/is in like-new condition. It also came with the taller touring windshield installed and the original sport windshield in the box. I have ordered a Misgel Ram Mount which installs where the two bolts hold the tank in place behind the handlebars and I look forward to getting my phone/GPS mounted. In the meantime, she just won't let me ride slow. I swear I am trying but she just won't let me. ~grin~

• I paid $9,000 and passed on a 2012 with only 1100 miles on it for $7900 to get the updated features of the 2014.
• I love the blue 2012 but cruise control and other enhancements are worth the extra few bucks.

Thanks to everyone for your input.

===========================

My Goldwing has just over 21,000 miles on her, is in near perfect condition, and I hate to let her go.
I love my Goldwing and I am having a hard time typing this even now.
I have on occasion been on it from 8 am to 8 pm only stopping for lunch. And, I felt like I never left my couch. That said, I am looking for a Sport-Tour bike now to get just a bit more excitement out of my rides. I'm moving to an FJR1300. The wing accelerates nicely, handles well (even on twisty roads) and I will likely buy another in the future but I am looking for just a bit more thrill before I get too old (I'm 57 by the way).

Still, I am having a really hard time letting go of all the comfort; all the features; and the amazing wind protection that my wing provides.

I can ride in 63 degree weather with a T-shirt. (FJR with tour windscreen seems to be a close match for wind protection)
The radio is great and a BlueTooth cassette allows me to wirelessly connect my phone for GPS and Streaming music. (Cardo PACKTALK can replace this)
I do have the original Intercom set still in the boxes but everyone seems to be going wireless now. (Again, Cardo PACKTALK can replace this)
I also have the bags that fit exactly in the side cases for easy packing. (FJRs can be found with these too and my ful face helmet fits in the side case)
Everything on my Wing works as it should and the bike is very very clean. (I will not settle for anything less in a used FJR)
People walk up to me at gas stations to tell me how great it looks and everyone is surprised that it was built in 1993.(Looking at 2007 to 2014 FJRs)

Anyway, I am compelled, having taken a few test rides, to move to an FJR.
It feels tour-capable but so much more exciting than my wing.

If anyone hass buying advice, please do share.

·
Registered
932 Posts
My Goldwing has just over 21,000 miles on her, is in near perfect condition, and I hate to let her go.
I love my Goldwing and I am having a hard time typing this even now.
I have on occasion been on it from 8 am to 8 pm only stopping for lunch. And, I felt like I never left my couch. That said, I am looking for a Sport-Tour bike now to get just a bit more excitement out of my rides. I'm moving to an FJR1300. The wing accelerates nicely, handles well (even on twisty roads) and I will likely buy another in the future but I am looking for just a bit more thrill before I get too old (I'm 57 by the way).

Still, I am having a really hard time letting go of all the comfort; all the features; and the amazing wind protection that my wing provides.

I can ride in 63 degree weather with a T-shirt. (FJR with tour windscreen seems to be a close match for wind protection)
The radio is great and a BlueTooth cassette allows me to wirelessly connect my phone for GPS and Streaming music. (Cardo PACKTALK can replace this)
I do have the original Intercom set still in the boxes but everyone seems to be going wireless now. (Again, Cardo PACKTALK can replace this)
I also have the bags that fit exactly in the side cases for easy packing. (FJRs can be found with these too and my ful face helmet fits in the side case)
Everything on my Wing works as it should and the bike is very very clean. (I will not settle for anything less in a used FJR)
People walk up to me at gas stations to tell me how great it looks and everyone is surprised that it was built in 1993.(Looking at 2007 to 2014 FJRs)

Anyway, I am compelled, having taken a few test rides, to move to an FJR.
It feels tour-capable but so much more exciting than my wing.

If anyone hass buying advice, please do share.

U are conflicted

no one can ease Ur quandry.....................

they are two VERY different bikes

buy One ride both b4 U sell the Wing..............................IF it comes to that !!

·
Registered
505 Posts
Keeep the Goldwing and get an FJR to go with it. I can't imagine the Wing bringing much for a purchase price even with the low miles. It is a 28 year old Japanese motorcycle. Sometimes an older Wing will surprise you if you find the right buyer.
You will find the FJR a willing touring machine with plenty of luggage space especially if you are solo. I would recommend a 2008 or newer. Most of the switch and ground problems had been addressed from 08 and on. 06 had an ECU recall so if looking at that year be sure that has been done. High altitude will get you if not. 07 may have been included in that recall but not sure.
I had an 08 and now a 14. Get the 14 for the cruise. And the red is the fastest FJR ever built.
Wheel Tire Fuel tank Vehicle Plant

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
Yes if you have the room keep the Goldwing. You would have to give it away. There are a lot of used FJR 2013 and up for sale at pretty good prices. If you look at my signature below you will notice other bikes. 8 others to be exact.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Keep the Wing and refresh what needs refreshing including the suspension but keep it and buy the 07 and upgrade its suspension or find a lighter sport bike and keep the Wing.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
U are conflicted

no one can ease Ur quandry.....................

they are two VERY different bikes

buy One ride both b4 U sell the Wing..............................IF it comes to that !!
I originally bought the wing with 17K miles on it 2 years ago for $1500 and sold it with 21K miles on it for $3750. So I did good on that round trip deal.
It basically means I have the 2014 FJR with only 1883 miles on it for $6750. I am pretty sure that is hard to beat.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keeep the Goldwing and get an FJR to go with it. I can't imagine the Wing bringing much for a purchase price even with the low miles. It is a 28 year old Japanese motorcycle. Sometimes an older Wing will surprise you if you find the right buyer.
You will find the FJR a willing touring machine with plenty of luggage space especially if you are solo. I would recommend a 2008 or newer. Most of the switch and ground problems had been addressed from 08 and on. 06 had an ECU recall so if looking at that year be sure that has been done. High altitude will get you if not. 07 may have been included in that recall but not sure.
I had an 08 and now a 14. Get the 14 for the cruise. And the red is the fastest FJR ever built.
View attachment 81652
Beautiful Bike you have there. I can live withoug the tank bag, but the Yamaha emblem on the black side vent and the red side panel are very pleasing to the eye.
Here is a pic of my new-to-me 2014 FJR1300A next to my buddies 1999 R1100S. And, yes, my red is faster than his.
Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Registered
505 Posts
That Yamaha emblem on the black side vent is a reflective decal so maybe someone won't hit me from the side. Also have them on the rear of the saddlebags. They are very bright when light reflects off them.

Tire Sky Wheel Vehicle Ecoregion

1 - 10 of 10 Posts